Packin' Preachers

This is a discussion on Packin' Preachers within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Unfortunately, not legal here in Missouri unless you have permission. My church has unfortunately made it very clear in writing that carrying in church is ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Packin' Preachers

Unfortunately, not legal here in Missouri unless you have permission. My church has unfortunately made it very clear in writing that carrying in church is not allowed and will not be permitted under Missouri law as is their choice. If not for the wife and kids, I would find another church that is more friendly to the cause.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

2. Remove Ads

I am a Children's Pastor (children from birth through 6th grade) in a church of about 200. My permit is on the way and I am "patiently" waiting. I plan to carry everywhere I legally can. My Senior Pastor and Church Secretary were both interested in getting their permits but after 2 months of dragging their feet I just did it without them.

The main reason I am carrying in church is because the kids and I are on the opposite side of the building from the rest of the church while it is in session. The 2 main entrances are between us and the rest of the church which is sort of a security issue. I am the Children's Pastor and it is my job to take care of the kids spiritually and physically.

I am a member of a small reformed church. There's about 35 people total. But all the men are usually packing, including the pastor.

When a new family began attending the church, and all the men we're talkin "guns" afterwards, we began discussing what we carry. When the newer member pulled his little taurus .25 out, the pastor responded "We'll call it a discipleship" after we all had a good laugh at the little caliber. Most of us carry 357 or up.

The church I grew up in had groups of men and women that would shoot following every service at a local range or farm, it was an unspoken but normal thing for many to be armed. I was never old enough to carry there. 600 + members.

The next church I attended was the same way just less obvious, there was even a small group that would micro/home brew beer and wine. I carried with a smile every Sunday after getting my permit. The pastor and I along with several other members would talk what and how we carried, even though she didn't carry she had no problem with people who did. 75 + members.

My current church is again a larger church but much more traditional and "close minded", I've taken it slow trying to feel people out and have not carried the gun as much but I NEVER go ANYWHERE without a good knife. I do know that several members would have a stroke if they knew people had guns in church. There are several LEO's and retired LEO's in the church that carry. More and more I get encouraged by my wife to carry during the service, as everyother place. I've even been scolded for not carrying sometimes lately.

IMO to carry in church is a good thing, even more so if its a large publicly known church.

I've carried in several churches since I've had my permit and one before I had it.

The one before my permit was at the request of the head of security. The church campus was around 7000 per week.

A smaller community church averaging between 90 and 130. I ran the sound booth, pastor and some of the elders were my shooting buddies and knew I carried all the time. Pastor said it made him feel a little safer.

I did a Bible study for a while in a smaller church in Coolidge Az. Church attendance was around 60 on a Sunday my class was Tuesday evenings and averaged about 10-12. I've also open carried when teaching there a few times. I guest preached there a few times while carrying concealed. Pastor is a close friend and more of a gun nut than I am.

We have a food ministry on Saturdays that has been growing we have around 60-70 each week. Both my wife and I carry there. We do a 10 minute sermonette. Everyone at the food ministry knows I like guns but I have not disclosed my carry status to the general population. The host pastor knows and so do a few of his congregation.

Holdcard
    If You Want To POPULATE Heaven
    You Have To PLUNDER Hell!!

4th Man Ministries

Our church is in the neighborhood of 1000 in attendance, 2 services Saturday and 2 services Sunday. We always have police at the Saturday services and I don't quite feel comfortable carrying around the youth, so it stays in the car most of the time. Plus, we're a huggy church, so I'm pretty sure I'd get made. I do know of at least 3 other guys that carry there.

Mel
    The Ethics of Liberty
    LewRockwell.com
    The Survival Podcast
    How long have we watered the Tree of Deceit with the blood of patriots?

PM
    I am a American Baptist pastor who is currently not serving a church. My pastor knows that I have the right to carry but does not know if I do or not. I currently do not due to not having a good way to do so in church. Iam looking for a better way to carry the current gun or a different carry gun altogether. The closest the church shooting have hit is the Jasper County MO. shoot a year or to back. We have had some idots do some drive bys in town and that is was in area we have that is the next best thing to the 'hood.

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    I gotta ask how you're carrying if you can't find a way to do it at church...

I figure if your a traditional church a sports coat will cover a full size pistol OWB... If it's more contemporay, an untucked button up covers the same IWB very well... And then there's always pocket carry... Seriously, unless you go to a nudist church I don't see how you couldn't carry as a congregant...
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

Being Christian is not the safest course these days. Even if you are willing to turn the other cheek, what about those who cannot protect themselves?
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Guys, this is one of the most intriguing threads I have read since being a member. I think it is great. What an eye opening topic.

Kevin, as for not being able to find a way to carry, I pocket carry. Have been doing so for some time now in places where it is legal however may be not politicaly correct or accepted to.

I feel that if needed it would be in a place where one would be as volnerable as possible. A friend and his brother were eating dinner in a resturant and shot dead as a result of MS13 marking their territory nearly a year ago. When the "dust up" started all he did was tell the manager to call the police and let them handle it. to be armed may not have changed the out come, but at least they would have had the opportunity to defend themselves.
    I'm clinging to my guns and religion.

PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinDooley View Post
    I gotta ask how you're carrying if you can't find a way to do it at church...

I figure if your a traditional church a sports coat will cover a full size pistol OWB... If it's more contemporay, an untucked button up covers the same IWB very well... And then there's always pocket carry... Seriously, unless you go to a nudist church I don't see how you couldn't carry as a congregant...
    It is more a weight of the gun issue and the fact that I feel a bit self conscience. I carry a Ruger P89 (the only SD caliber handgun I own). I am thinking about a S&W Sigma or something I could pocket carry.

Distinguished Member
    Can't. Military base.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

I am a full time seminary professor, carry on campus at all times with the blessing (and formal permission) of the President, who is a vocal advocate of concealed carry. Associate pastor of church that averages 1000 carry at all times. Two or three people in each place know, several more probably assume.

On September 15, 1999 I responded as a chaplain to the shooting at Wedgwood Baptist Church. Seven were killed, seven wounded. Death notifications, counseling, tears, helplessness --- even today are fresh reminders to me that security, safety, protection should be proactively and prayerfully considered by every church.

Quote Originally Posted by JSBaker View Post
    I am a pastor who carries every day--even while in the pulpit. I am curious about how many of you carry at church. Are there other pastors out there who pack and preach?

If you are a pastor who carries, do any of your people know? If they do, what reactions have you gotten?
    I carry but nobody knows (to the best of my knowledge).
    ... whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one. (Luke 22:36b NASB)
    FN Herstal FNP-9, FNP-357, Kahr TP45
    Ruger LCP, S&W 22a
    http://revderb.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by RevDerb View Post
    I carry but nobody knows (to the best of my knowledge).
    Oh, Someone knows alright and He has a long history of warriors in His army!
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links