1911 Punisher Grips = JAIL???? - Page 2

1911 Punisher Grips = JAIL????

This is a discussion on 1911 Punisher Grips = JAIL???? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Thumper I've got a pair on one of my 1911s and they look pretty cool. But when I want to carry that ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: 1911 Punisher Grips = JAIL????

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    I've got a pair on one of my 1911s and they look pretty cool.

But when I want to carry that gun, I swap them out for a pair of Aluma Grips.

Before you ask... the answer is e-Bay!
    I would do the same for any 1911 that I have. I wouldn't carry one with the punisher logo, just use it for range use. OMO.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

A local shop here is selling those grips, and I think they are pretty awesome. I can see your concern about the grips, but I couldn't see it being a big problem. If the legal system wanted to screw you, they would do so with or without cool pistol grips
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

Sadly, I agree that they're a liability. Kinda like wearing a t-shirt with a pot leaf on the front. It doesn't prove a thing, but certainly gives people a poor first impression, which really counts. Coincidentally, I went to a class where I used a 1911 with US Army Jump Wings engraved on the grips. I got so many "thank you for your service" comments that I was beaming. I think I'd rather go into court with mine than yours.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Quote Originally Posted by broknindarkagain View Post
    A local shop here is selling those grips, and I think they are pretty awesome. I can see your concern about the grips, but I couldn't see it being a big problem. If the legal system wanted to screw you, they would do so with or without cool pistol grips
    Could you PM me with the info for the shop that's selling the grips? I'd appreciate it....thanks.
    Evil triumphs when good men do nothing! Edmond Burke
    Where the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Where the government fears the people, there is liberty! Benjamin Franklin

THIS IS THE PRIMARY REASON WE HAVE THE 2ND AMENDMENT!!!

Definitely cool grips as stated, but I'd never use them on a carry piece. I've also seen some very cool "reaper" carved grips, but again would never use them on a carry gun

Since we're on the subject of grips, has anyone by chance seen any inlaid or engraved bullseye or crosshair 1911 grips around? Would love to have some for the target 1911 I'll be buying shortly.
    I work to buy guns. Not really, but sometimes it feels that way..

I think it is much more important to explain the circumstances of why you felt you had to shoot someone. Do we all have to dress in plain vanilla outfits and carry clear grips on our guns?
    A good attorney for you could explain that you like the looks of the grips or you just wanted to be different and ask the jury what does this have to do with protecting your life or the life of someone else!

If you have been in a number of shootings in a short time it MIGHT be different but I know of a popular section on a large police department involved in quite a number of shootings. All of their issued weapons are engraved with the sections logo, which is much more controversial than a picture from a major public movie! And now a major gun company has a special gun in their name!

let's face it: if you ever have to shoot someone in self defense, it doesn't matter what grips you had, what caliber you used, or what kind of gun you own.
    Let's also face up to the fact that not all juries are the most thinking groups of people we know. Most folks agree first impressions are important, so it's hard to assume that a jury would be any less subject to that tendency.

Having a .454 Casull named "Terminator," skull grips with crossbones named "Punisher" and a dog at home named "Killer" can't help. A solid suggestion to an unthinking jury that several indicators point to predisposition could leave them with that impression. Doesn't mean that's a large risk. Doesn't mean it'll change the facts (defensive shoot). And, it's certainly more important to be able to articulate the circumstances and facts of the defensive actions you took. Still, it's there.

When so many other options exist, IMO it just doesn't seem worthwhile to "tempt fate" as some have said.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Administrator
    I'll break from the ranks here, I don't like 'em. They portray an amatuer image and perhaps they are little trashy, but I dont think they would mean much officially in a trial but you never know what message it sends to a juror.
    "Just blame Sixto"

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I'll break from the ranks here, I don't like 'em. They portray an amatuer image and perhaps they are little trashy, but I dont think they would mean much officially in a trial but you never know what message it sends to a juror.
    I think these are awesome...

Administrator
    I guess its the logo I dont like. If it were a generic or one of a kind design, I'd probably like it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

As to Heimer's request. . .

I purchased my Paladin grips from Alumna Grips which also supplies Punisher grips. They will also laser etch the design of your choice within reason.

How about these grips?

Ahhh, what an awful dream. Ones and zeros everywhere... and I thought I saw a two.

We always cover this stuff in courses. There is a thing called electronic discovery. The easy explanation I give in edged weapon course is that you defend yourself with a specific model of knife. When it gets placed on property someone thinks it is a cool looking knife and "Googles" it because they are interested in maybe getting one. They find out that particular knife was designed for "knife fighting" by so and so. They bring this to the attention of the prosecutor who is running for reelection and you can guess the rest. This will be even worse in civil court.

You do your best with your selection of training, tools and tactics to minimize your exposure to these things the best you can. That means listening to that voice in the back of your head when you think something is cool but may make you look like a person you are not.

How about these? They infer lethality also, but in a patriotic sort of way...
    I'd rather explain them to a jury than the death head!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Administrator
    See now, I like those AZ. They say something about what you have done or where you have been.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links