1911 Punisher Grips = JAIL???? - Page 3

1911 Punisher Grips = JAIL????

This is a discussion on 1911 Punisher Grips = JAIL???? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by GWRedDragon Go even further and get the same weapon used by the local LEOs. Not sure about my county police but I ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: 1911 Punisher Grips = JAIL????

Quote Originally Posted by GWRedDragon View Post
    Go even further and get the same weapon used by the local LEOs. Not sure about my county police but I know the sheriff's deputies use Glocks, so I think I am covered against 'he is crazy, just look at what kind of gun he has' arguments.

By the same token, anything used by LEO agencies widely would probably be acceptable, but I wouldn't want anything custom as a carry gun. Stick to Glock/Sig/etc.

What if you live in an area where the cops have to buy their own weapons? The only restriction I had was that the caliber had to be between 9mm and .45.

Taste alone says "no."

Aside from that, why chance it? The potential exists for them to make your life harder in a serious way without ever adding any value to it whatsoever.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by plugugly View Post
    What if you live in an area where the cops have to buy their own weapons? The only restriction I had was that the caliber had to be between 9mm and .45.
    As long as you can find a sizeable number of departments/agencies which use it, I would be happy.

The other advantage of course to carrying the same gun as your local officers (if they have a standard one) is that if they ever have to clear it it will be familiar to them and thus they will be unlikely to have a ND doing so.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

If you are involved in a bad shoot, then you have more to worry about than the logo on your grips, or whether you used hollow points in your weapon, or if you effected a Mozambique drill on your attacker, etc.. You'll have someone dead on your hands that got that way because of your unjustified actions and twelve people that will want you to answer for it.

If you are involved in a legit shoot, and have counsel that is minimally competent, the jury will have their hands full digesting the sequence of events that led up to you being forced to defend your life. Your grips on your gun will be of no concern and totally immaterial as they are.

Jury's also tend not to like prosecutors that appear to be hammering the little guy without cause and prosecutors are also sensitive to the possibility. The sword swings both ways.
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

Quote Originally Posted by Moga View Post
    Jury's also tend not to like prosecutors that appear to be hammering the little guy without cause and prosecutors are also sensitive to the possibility. The sword swings both ways.
    You know this how?

I mean, I admit some guns look better than others, and some grips are cool.

But, Im not out to make a fashion statement, I'm out to conceal carry defend myself.

So, I'd go for functionality. Wouldn't ever think about putting skulls on my pistol.

I think it would depend on circumstances surrounding the shoot. If your life was in clear and present danger and your actions were perceived as justifiable, than that would trump your firearm asthetics. However, if your actions were perceived as questionable I feel more attention would be paid to other factors involved (i.e. the grips, your appearance, delving into your character flaws, blah, blah, blah).
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

I agree that there will be an impact, but the impact will be measured as part of the whole.

If, for instance, you have the Punisher grips, armor-piercing rounds, twelve knives, 2 BUGs, four mags for each gun, and a big tat that screams "Kill 'em all, let God sort 'em out", then I'd insist you're gonna look bad in the eyes of the jury no matter whether the shoot was legit or not.

But if you're clean-cut, with a prudent and responsible # and selection of carry weapons, ammo that does the job w/o being drastic overkill, a clean record and generally known as a level-headed good neighbor, then I'd warrant that the Punisher grips will be much less likely to influence a jury.

For me, the last thing I really want to be involved in is a shooting. The second-to-last thing I want to be involved in is a questionable shooting. The third-to-last thing I want to be involved in is a questionable shooting where my appearance and/or demeanor give the jury suspicions that I'm some Rambo vigilante wanna-be out to change the world with a six-gun and an attitude.

And, to bring in another thread, the fourth-to-last thing I want to be involved in is a zombie invasion. Ewww . . . creeeepy.

Senior Moderator
    I would keep my 'carry grips' free and clear of anything that could be misjudged for any reason. There are plenty of cool looking grips with special wood(s)...I have such on several of my weapons, including my carry gun.
    I would not, however, put 'Punisher' type symbols on a pistol I use for SD when I'm out and about. Just not my taste.
    I look at it this way...if I have to defend myself, I'll have enough questions to answer about the BG's 22 holes...l don't need to be explaining why I have 'The Punisher' on my carry gun.

OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev9mm View Post

And, to bring in another thread, the fourth-to-last thing I want to be involved in is a zombie invasion. Ewww . . . creeeepy.
    Speaking of bringing in other threads, the Zombie invasion has already happened, we are in the thick of it now.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    You know this how?
    Know this? What is the burden of proof here, exactly? Even if personally involved as a defendant in a criminal trial involving my use of a gun in self defense, the experience would still be anecdotal at best because one outcome isn't enough to constitute a conclusion that would hold up to scientific scrutiny.

Judging by your comment, I don't think you intend to add anything meaningful to this discussion save skepticism/cynicism so I don't think I'll bother to give a thoughtful response to your question. Tell you what. How about you site me one case in which a person was convicted on the basis of the cosmetic appearance of their firearm. Then I will concede to your doubt of whether I know about what I speak.
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerFingr View Post
    I think it is much more important to explain the circumstances of why you felt you had to shoot someone. Do we all have to dress in plain vanilla outfits and carry clear grips on our guns?
    A good attorney for you could explain that you like the looks of the grips or you just wanted to be different and ask the jury what does this have to do with protecting your life or the life of someone else!

If you have been in a number of shootings in a short time it MIGHT be different but I know of a popular section on a large police department involved in quite a number of shootings. All of their issued weapons are engraved with the sections logo, which is much more controversial than a picture from a major public movie! And now a major gun company has a special gun in their name!
    I reposted this or bumped it, whatever. No one said anything originally but I agree with Moga!

Administrator
    I think the point that many have missed is this;

Although you may not be officially the reason for a conviction and it may not be even allowed to be officially introduced to the jury, but it does send a message and leave an impression on the jury, judge and the public. Official or not, its there and will be a factor.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Not to mention the thrill and excitement of the Civil Trial that certainly will follow. Not near the burden of proof necessary there, and little things like appearances and attitudes WILL come into play!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

I'm not speaking for MitchellCT, but...

Know this? What is the burden of proof here, exactly? Even if personally involved as a defendant in a criminal trial involving my use of a gun in self defense, the experience would still be anecdotal at best because one outcome isn't enough to constitute a conclusion that would hold up to scientific scrutiny.
    Scientific scrutiny? This is a trial by jury of your peers (i.e. common folks off the street), not a professional review by a panel of fellow scientists. It's likely to have a visual, visceral impact on many people, particularly those with preconceived negative ideas towards guns.

Judging by your comment, I don't think you intend to add anything meaningful to this discussion save skepticism/cynicism so I don't think I'll bother to give a thoughtful response to your question. Tell you what. How about you site me one case in which a person was convicted on the basis of the cosmetic appearance of their firearm. Then I will concede to your doubt of whether I know about what I speak.
    Pardon me for not having any idea of your fields of expertise, but you do realize MitchellCT is an attorney who has defended criminal cases, right? At least that's what I've gathered from reading many of his posts. I believe his apparent cynicism stems from reading countless numbers of us "jailhouse lawyers" attempting to provide legal advice or insight. I'm no lawyer so I'll gladly yield to his expertise, since I can relate to his frustration. I also happen to work in a (completely unrelated) specialized field, and I likewise cringe and become highly frustrated when "laymen" argue things regarding my area of expertise when it's painfully obvious they have no idea what they're talking about. I'm sure some of the LEO's here can relate as well to what I'm saying, given some of the ludicrous comments I've seen and heard regarding their profession.
    David

Kimber Pro CDP II Colt Combat Commander Glock 26 GNS Ruger Mark III 22/45 Kahr CW9 (sold)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links