1911 Punisher Grips = JAIL????

This is a discussion on 1911 Punisher Grips = JAIL???? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The scrutiny of which I spoke is not one directed toward the jury or their potential findings in a criminal case. The scrutiny about which ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: 1911 Punisher Grips = JAIL????

The scrutiny of which I spoke is not one directed toward the jury or their potential findings in a criminal case. The scrutiny about which I've asked is what a poster must overcome to contribute to a thread without being called out as a BS artist. I asked that to say what must one's vocation be to "know" of what one speaks? The point is very, very few people outside the minuscule number of counselors that practice solely in firearm law would, I guess, "know" of whether a jury may not like the prosecutor attacking a victim of a crime for something as immaterial as the subject now under discussion. And even then, one counselor's experience, assuming it extensive, may only apply to the state(s) in which they're licensed. For instance, while reading through this thread, some people have opined that the cosmetic appearance of one's firearm may play heavily in the civil suits that may come in the aftermath of a self defense shooting. Here in Georgia, and at least in one other state by which I've been issued a license, there is no such worry. And I can assure you the "people" are imbued a little differently in the south, generally speaking, then they are up in New England when it comes to defending the home and hearth against scum bags. We tend not to have much sympathy for the attackers who may have been shot in the process of invading someone's home, etc. as long as it was effected legally. I say that as a person that's lived until recently and has been licensed to carry firearms in New England and nothing more, albeit not in Connecticut. I presume to know nothing of the laws nor culture of that state.

Let it suffice to say I make it my business to know all of the relevant case law in the several states that I'm licensed to carry a gun and a moderate amount of the case law that has set precedent on the federal level with respect to guns in general. I have never come across one case that supports the assertion that cosmetic appearances, caliber choice, firearm manufacturer, etc. has made a difference in the conviction of a shooter. In 99% of the cases, it was the lack of judgment/negligence that hung him without prejudice to anything about his gun. That isn't to say that it hasn't, ever, because I don't claim that my research is exhaustive. Then again, whose is, even if you are employed in the legal field? Yet, until I see the decisions of such cases going against the plaintiff on the basis of superficial facts about their guns assembled into a viable subset of data that's statistically significant, I choose to chalk it up mainly to Interwebz myth. A broken clock has the right time twice a day after all. Yet my submersion into firearm case law is enough for me to speak confidently when remarking that the circumstances of the shoot will likely be far more important than other nuances about the choice of accessories of one's side arm. Lay man I may be, but I'm certainly not pulling lint from my backside and laying it in front of the readers to enjoy.

Punisher grips are not my style, per se, but if interested in them, I would bolt them to my gun and not worry about them again. For if I am forced to shoot, I have much bigger issues about which to worry than the grips on my gun. Its just my opinion, and I'm not sure why I was challenged to publicly defend it in the first place. Is it because I'm NOT a defense attorney like some? Perhaps a bit of elitism was at play unbeknown to me. It may be not.

As far as my comments about juries little enjoying a prosecutor who pummels a man on a small matter like the ones I listed originally, I have not seen this happen in a real case that involved a shoot other than Harold Fish's. Thankfully there are few precious cases where the prosecutor succeeds in vilifying a man for defending himself out of loyalty to personal convictions and not the circumstances of the act itself. However I have perceived this in other criminal cases I've monitored that didn't involve SD shooting. Again, it's just my opinion but its certainly not a dimly informed one.

Thank you.
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    I think the one thing that you will hear from criminal lawyers is, simply, that juries are unpredictable. Anything can have an impact.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Quote Originally Posted by Macattack View Post
    ...As i'm sure most of you know, the "punisher" is a comic book/movie vigilante that takes things into his own hands...just buy them for my range 1911 and keep the ccw modest...
    It would be a bad idea to have these grips on a CC weapon. If used in SD, you might has well have a, "Shot them all and let God sort it out" wife beater t-shirt on for your mug shot.

Contrary to what a lot of people say, it would matter, depending on the situation.

I'm not taking sides but Moga there was that case where a man was convicted because he used a 10mm round. The general word out was that he only lost because his lawyer was crap, but he was still convicted mainly due to the 10mm rounds he fired. I don't have a link but I'm sure others that are in this thread know what I'm refering too.
    "I'd rather have one and not need it, than need one and not have it!"

You want a contribution to this thread?

Don't borrow trouble.

You use of force situation's aftermath will be stressful and confusing enough without adding details that you later wish weren't involved.

Are the grips "fatal" to your claim of self defense...no.

However, factor in an entry wound in the attacker's back, the lack of a weapon (it was really a cell phone that looked like a gun in bad light in a stressful situation...understandable, but still a Nokia is not a S&W...) and an angry minister who decides to make an issue of the shooting of a promising young man (gag me...) you are REALLY going to wish you went with the plain wood grips or the ones that say "G0D BLESS THE UNITED STATES" on one side and the engraving of the World Trade Center, the Pentagon and the memorial in PA for the 4th flight"

Or do what you want. What could I possibly know...

Quote Originally Posted by Moga View Post

How about you site me one case in which a person was convicted on the basis of the cosmetic appearance of their firearm. Then I will concede to your doubt of whether I know about what I speak.
    Search for and read my post on the value of caselaw. Then talk to me about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Macattack View Post
    remember you are being tried by twelve people that were not smart enough to be able to get out of jury duty"
    Ha ha ha. It pays to read over the forums from time to time I guess.

Punisher grips

Well,the whole world knows about our love affair with "FRANK CASTLE".So,how hard is it to explain that you got your grips,out of fan fair & this "villain",just happen to give a reason to feel threatened?[Punisher 1911][/Punisher Grips ]

DO what you want, a good shoot is a good shoot, and a bad shoot is a bad shoot. This nation is about freedom
    English is my second language, I have been told my use of it is harsh, apologies if this is the matter.

You know what stops a bad guy with a gun? A good guy with a gun

I have a set of Punisher grips I bought for my Gov't model about 6 or 7 years ago that I've had on since then. Two weeks after I got my CCW, I picked up a set of Wilson Combat grips for two reasons:
    1. The Punisher grips were too slick, so I had put skateboard grip tape on them. Something made me feel a little squirrelly about that and trying to explain to 12 'peers' why I had modified my rig for faster draw. Losing proposition on my end.
    2. I was aiming for tactical, as opposed to tacticool. The WC grips did this for me.

I don't know if we're all being hyper sensitive to things like this, but I don't want to be the Guinea Pig for damn sure.

VIP Member
    Wow, nothing like a 4 year old grave dig... does make me realize I miss MitchellCT though.
    oneshot and tacman605 like this.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Oh, wow. Just saw the date. Guess I gotta put the shovel away.

JD
    Administrator
    Well this is the right time of year to bring dead threads back to life...

Sent via Tapatalk 2, and still using real words.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links