1911 Punisher Grips = JAIL????

This is a discussion on 1911 Punisher Grips = JAIL???? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys. I'm planning on buying a Dan Wesson CBOB very soon. Anyway, I was looking around for some new grips for a bobtail and ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: 1911 Punisher Grips = JAIL????

1911 Punisher Grips = JAIL????

Hey guys.
    I'm planning on buying a Dan Wesson CBOB very soon.

Anyway, I was looking around for some new grips for a bobtail and stumbled on some at gungrips.net. I figure black micartha with the punisher skull on it would look awesome....

But then the little ccw voice in my head chimed in with "what will the jury think if you have these on a gun that you just shot the defendant with?"

As i'm sure most of you know, the "punisher" is a comic book/movie vigilante that takes things into his own hands and guns down criminals that desperately deserve it.

I guess I sort of answered my own question, but what do you guys think? I suppose i should just buy them for my range 1911 and keep the ccw modest.

-mac
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Macattack; November 3rd, 2008 at 05:00 PM. Reason: nerrrrr
    "In those days, there was a lot more respect for other people and it showed in peoples values.... Today the word value means nothing more than something you get on the $1 menu at McDonald's." -BARK'N

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    Yeah they look cool, but why tempt fate?

VIP Member
    Off topic - JD, don't you know that everything tactical today is Coyote Brown?

On topic - I like those grips, but on a range/competition gun. A good attorney should be able to deflect any questions about them, but why allow those questions to come up in the first place?
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

let's face it: if you ever have to shoot someone in self defense, it doesn't matter what grips you had, what caliber you used, or what kind of gun you own. if you get a DA who wants to hang you, he's going to use anything he can find to do it. when asked about the grips, answer truthfully: "i just liked how they looked, your honor."

VIP Member
    I've got a pair on one of my 1911s and they look pretty cool.

But when I want to carry that gun, I swap them out for a pair of Aluma Grips.

Before you ask... the answer is e-Bay!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    let's face it: if you ever have to shoot someone in self defense, it doesn't matter what grips you had, what caliber you used, or what kind of gun you own. if you get a DA who wants to hang you, he's going to use anything he can find to do it. when asked about the grips, answer truthfully: "i just liked how they looked, your honor."

Hogwash! It ain't "His Honor" you have to worry about, its the JURY! Your average person is not into handgun grips and would only see the image and hear the DA describing you as some kind of nut who was look'n for a chance to shoot somebody. It DOES matter what kind of grips you have on the gun you use for self defense.

I ain't taking no chances,I been looking for some of those PINK miss kitty grips
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Hey those are my grips thumper!

I believe someones signiture reads "remember you are being tried by twelve people that were not smart enough to be able to get out of jury duty"

Suppose i could have them etch a picture of a BigMac onto the grips(ie my username) But wait, they kill more people than ccw holders ever could.....
    -mac
    "In those days, there was a lot more respect for other people and it showed in peoples values.... Today the word value means nothing more than something you get on the $1 menu at McDonald's." -BARK'N

I will not go in to how I think the grips look.

You will have to concern yourself with how the jury "perceives" those grips. These are the same twelve people that somebody said "weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty". I remember reading about a case where the self defense pistol wasn't an issue, it was another gun locked away in the shooter's safe at the time of the shooting. It was a Mossberg Persuader.

Of course it will depend on where you live, but don't be suprised if a Search Warrant get issued and every gun you own gets confinscated prior to trial. The grips can be used to show a "pattern" to a jury, as well as a Python, a Persuader and a Cobra, and many other fine weapons.

Biker

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Off topic - JD, don't you know that everything tactical today is Coyote Brown?

On topic - I like those grips, but on a range/competition gun. A good attorney should be able to deflect any questions about them, but why allow those questions to come up in the first place?
    Quite right, black is sooooo Cold War.

I was just thinking the same thing that BikerRN just said about the DA/Jury being able to see and know about ALL of your guns. Why risk it?

And yes, it does look cool.
    Bitter and clinging to my guns and my religion.

Administrator
    On a carry gun...I personally would not have Skull, Death, (whatever) grips on a carry firearm.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I like the way they look but, I wouldn't put them on a carry gun. Probably just a range gun.

They do look cool though....
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

VIP Member
    If they are going to try and hang you, why should you supply them with the rope? Use them on a range gun and plain grips on your carry weapon.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Go even further and get the same weapon used by the local LEOs. Not sure about my county police but I know the sheriff's deputies use Glocks, so I think I am covered against 'he is crazy, just look at what kind of gun he has' arguments.

By the same token, anything used by LEO agencies widely would probably be acceptable, but I wouldn't want anything custom as a carry gun. Stick to Glock/Sig/etc.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links