What is the future of CC? MERGED

This is a discussion on What is the future of CC? MERGED within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; States would make a stink about it. They might get away with a new AWB or ammo tax at most. We'll see tonight what happens....

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the future of CC? MERGED

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    States would make a stink about it. They might get away with a new AWB or ammo tax at most.

We'll see tonight what happens.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    I've been thinking about this. We just might be on our way to third world status, so we might have to tote AK's or RPG's everywhere out of need.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I expect the AWB to be revisited early next year if Osama (sic) is elected. I, too, have made my purchases expecting that. If you can afford to buy lowers or complete rifles, do it now. Parts will be available for some time -- probably a long time. I would not be surprised if a new AWB included a prohibition on transfers.

As far as a huge increase in federal firearm taxes, even though it would be attempted, I think it would be shot down by SCOTUS -- at least until the justices begin to be replaced. The Heller decision made it clear that Americans have the right to possess firearms in their homes for defense. An excessive federal tax on firearms would be an infringement that would also violate the 14th because of the disproportional impact on low-income persons.

I also don't think a federal ban on CCW would pass the states' rights test. The feds can prohibit carry across state lines, however because of interstate commerce provisions.

If it really gets bad, Alaska seems to be the place to go. When I lived there, a segment of the population was always ranting about renouncing statehood and forming their own country. Serious infringement of the 2A might just be the catalyst (well, maybe not, but there would be resistance to enforce onerous gun laws).

Charles

Am I the only one who isn't really worried about Obama and ccw? I really don't think Obama will have any effect whatsoever on ccw permits. I also don't really think firearms taxes will go up. The assault weapon ban may come back eventually, but I think that's at least a year or two away. The economy is gonna tie up the Dems for quite some time to come. Congressional elections elections in 2 years are going to scare quite a few from messing too much with state rights issues.
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

VIP Member
    I actually think NOTHING will change whatsoever.
    As others have pointed out, there are many Dems who are not anti. The SC has spoken, and its composition is unlikely to change (lib v conserv ration) during the first term, anyway.

And, as others have mentioned, there are lots of really difficult problems which will keep congressional and presidential attention, and other mischief down to a tolerable level.

And here's one viewpoint I have not seen mentioned. MN is a fairly liberal state; especially in some farming circles. Yet they have CC and open carry.

Iowa, tends to be Republican, though it flips back and forth somewhat between the two parties. They do not recognize any other state's license, and are not a shall issue state and don't allow open carry, unlike their immediate neighbor to the north.

What I am saying is that local attitudes transcend partisan politics on this issue. There are Republicans from big cities who are adamantly hostile to gun owners, and there are Dems who are pro-

The determining factors are local culture and history.

AWB is going to be like the 55 mph speed limit-- An experiment that failed and won't be repeated. And, this will be the case regardless of which party gains the upper hand.

As for raising taxes on guns and ammo, it might happen; but taxing the heck out cigarettes and cigars hasn't stopped smoking. That taxation approach to gun control won't accomplish much either.

The Heller decision received a 5 - 4 vote to just barely win. IMHO the Dems. will try to seat another Supreme Court Justice, and retry the Heller case. If that happens then we lose all rights under the 2A. Both Obama, and Biden want to get rid of all legally owned guns.
    Last edited by carver; November 4th, 2008 at 10:01 AM. Reason: spelling
    Y'all be safe now, ya hear!

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
    Thomas Jefferson

Vigilance.
    Especially over our elected representatives.

Obama has already come out saying he is against CCW and would support a ban on it. Check out the Internet for his interview of a couple of years ago.

The liberal Congress and Senate will come after all aspects of gun ownership, including CCW, ammunition, reloading supplies, AWB, etc. -- and sooner rather than later (Obama has said an AWB is on his first 100 days agenda). Get ready...the revolution will happen in the next few years. Decide for yourself the price of freedom.

During the past week, the store has seen a big surge in sales. AR, SKS, H&K type rifles, hi cap mags are a big seller, and ALL types handguns. Lastly, we've seen a HUGE amount of 1st time buyers. All have said the same thing "what if Obama gets in" and "I'm getting what I can, while I can get it" type buyers. Wednesday should be a good indicator, what is on the minds of the Shooting Publc, and the CCW minded folk.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Anything can happen. I foresee more on what Alnitak sees. It will be an all out assault on the 2nd Amendment. The new judges that will be appointed in the SC will affect the how future 2A decisions will be made.

It will look as if it is going to be a states vs. federal government issue on CCW. Can the Feds ban CCW if the states want to keep it? There are a lot of anti-2A people that supported Obama. just ask George Soros and some unnamed foreign benefactors that produced the 150 million in funds raised in the last few months alone. I think that they will attack this issue at the state level.

eternal vigilance is a must.
    "embrace the suck" - our warriors in the sandbox... it implies that do the best you can in impossible conditions.
    "no plan survives intact upon contact with the enemy" - wisdom of the Grunts.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I certainly don't mean to insult any of my fellow posters, but reading comments about Obama being too tied up with other issues, or that concealed carry is a state issue, or that nothing will happen, is downright hilarious.
    As one poster already pointed out, Osama wants a new AWB in the first 100 days of his administration. In an interview with NPR radio he stated he will push for a federal ban on concealed carry.
    Yup, I guess the economy, the banking crisis, the forclosure disaster, etc. will just have to take a back seat to the anti-gun agenda. Gee, I guess the NRA wasn't exaggerating after all.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Quote Originally Posted by Raider39a View Post
    Anything can happen. I foresee more on what Alnitak sees. It will be an all out assault on the 2nd Amendment. The new judges that will be appointed in the SC will affect the how future 2A decisions will be made.

It will look as if it is going to be a states vs. federal government issue on CCW. Can the Feds ban CCW if the states want to keep it? There are a lot of anti-2A people that supported Obama. just ask George Soros and some unnamed foreign benefactors that produced the 150 million in funds raised in the last few months alone. I think that they will attack this issue at the state level.

eternal vigilance is a must.
    Will the states want to keep it if the congress threatens to withhold funds if they do?

Michael

I also don't think a federal ban on CCW would pass the states' rights test. The feds can prohibit carry across state lines, however because of interstate commerce provisions.
    No, it won't pass the "states' rights test" but what can and will pass is a Bill with funding that has a Rider attatched to it. For example, any state receiving Federal Highway Funds has to implement a 55 MPH Speed Limit. That is how the feds controlled the speed limit.

It's coming and I look for concealed carry to be banned.

Biker

VIP Member
    Hope for the best- maybe they will be to occupied on other issues.
    PLAN FOR THE WORST- AWB part2 will happen.............
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

I don't see it like the federal speed limit at all. The feds don't provide state CCW funds like they do highway funds so what will they withhold. Are they going to withhold state funding for law enforcement? I don't think that will go over very well at all, and would be politcal suicide. You also have to remember that the interstate system is a federal system, not simply a state system.

I don't see any changes in the CCW, as it will remain a state issue. As far as the AWB, that may or may not get some footing and take off again, but I don't see it happening within the posted desired 100 day period. The president can not initiate legislation, and I feel that the house and the senate will have their hands completely full if this financial crisis continues, and it gets really bad like some people think. Jobs, and the economy will be getting lots of attention. If we loose a couple of million jobs in the next 6 months, the AWB will not be of much interest to them.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links