What is the future of CC? MERGED - Page 4

What is the future of CC? MERGED

This is a discussion on What is the future of CC? MERGED within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I highly doubt that Obama is going to get into office and decide to ban all ccw permits. Obama isn't thinking of himself as a ...

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    I highly doubt that Obama is going to get into office and decide to ban all ccw permits. Obama isn't thinking of himself as a one-termer. He will come up for re-election, and before every move he makes, he is going to think of not only the social repercussions, but also the repercussions on his political future. He will also need the backing of the congress to advance his other agenda. Signing an executive order banning ccw is going to get a lot of Dem senators from pro-gun states voted out of office. These people are gonna cut and run from Obama much like a lot of congress people did with Bush. He does something like this and when he asks senators to back him on other things, they are gonna say "Obama who?" I think this is much to do about nothing. I have no problem with an Obama presidency. It can't be worse than the last few years. I have no fears about Obama taking my ccw.
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaystekan View Post
    I have no fears about Obama taking my ccw.
    Neither do I. I've been carrying for nearly 25 years, and have never been asked for my permit. I only feel obligated to comply with the last legal order, not a overt violation of the constitution.

Does anybody really think that a federal ban on CCW permits would stop concealed carry? Prohibition didn't work -- why would the feds think they can outlaw firearm possession or carry. Osama may not have common sense, but he ain't stupid, either.

Concealed is concealed. Besides, if I return to Alaska and buy a hideout homestead, I'll be open carrying. (BTW, Alaskans don't need a stinkin' piece of paper to carry concealed. Damn, I miss living there!)

IMHO: a new AWB may come. But beyond that, not much will happen. CC laws are mostly state laws. Of course, you can forget about nation wide reciprocity beyond of the agreements that we have now.

Yes, the new president could take a piece from Bush's book and enact random illegal executive orders. Likely, federal agencies would obey them and the supreme court may or may not strike them down. But why make enemies like that. As mentioned above, the new president will have his hands tied. The economy is in the crapper, the coffers are empty and there are still some old wars to finish. Anything to distract would be stupid. Obama will need the support of all Democrats, some of which are pro-gun.
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

Looks like we are going to find out.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Quote Originally Posted by deadeye72 View Post
    Looks like we are going to find out.
    yup. CNN just called it. (and they are never wrong ;-) )

one other thing I forgot... stuff like the "gun show loophole" and some inter-state sales laws may get tightened up. If you plan on sell a hand gun: better do it now.
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

Not good!!!

Indeed. We're fixin' to find out how things will go. Are we ready? Maybe, maybe not. Thing is, this is going to be the darkest times this nation has ever seen as a whole. I think the second amendment will be the least of our worries in the days and years ahead. This day in history......let it be a sign. May God help us all.

Well Obama just won, you can kiss that carry permit goodbye, even us LEO are worried about losing our HR218. The people of the USA just destroyed her.
    One more step and it's on!

Well, I was going to refrain from much comment on the matter, beyond what I've already said elsewhere, but what the heck -- I'll join the unpopular and "naive" minority here and declare that the sky will not fall on 2A supporters because Obama is elected.

I've liked McCain for a long time, and I did wind up voting for him, but damned if he didn't try his best to lose my vote over the last couple months. I've just not been real pleased with him lately to be honest, he's not the same man I used to so deeply admire and respect -- perhaps that's just due to the circumstances of the election and pandering to a neocon base, combined with over-zealous campaign managers. But the buck stops with him so he has to take responsibility for it. And to be even more honest, until the moment I walked into the polling station, I honestly could have gone either way. I would have to say the primary reason I went with McCain was in hopes of offsetting the possibility of a 60% Democratic Congress, in which case we'll have a severely diminished checks & balances between the Legislative and Executive branches.

As others have said, I don't think guns and 2A are going to be on Obama's radar much during his first term. The economic and international messes we find ourselves in are going to take his full attention for the next few years, and he will want to be re-elected. As will virtually all members Congress. Neither will go out of their way to outright ban firearms and circumvent 2A, although they certainly may push through another AWB or some other "nuisance" legislation. I just don't see them reaching out to the states on CCW issues though. I will have a bigger concern for gun rights IF Obama does a good job in the eyes of the American public, and wins re-election with Congress widening their majority liberal margin. Assuming the more pressing issues we face today have been addressed and improved by that time, THEN I can see some onerous anti-gun legislation possibly being worked out. But a lot would have to happen in the next few years to make that enough of a concern to cause me to lose sleep now.

Bottom line is this election, as any election, should be more than a single-issue matter. No matter which issue it is. I'll vote for the candidate who aligns with the majority of the issues that are important to me, realizing I will have to compromise SOMETHING no matter who I vote for. While the 2A issue is absolutely a concern of mine, it's not my only concern at this point. So I was not afraid of an Obama victory. Now I guess we're going to find out, for better or worse, who was right.
    David

Kimber Pro CDP II Colt Combat Commander Glock 26 GNS Ruger Mark III 22/45 Kahr CW9 (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Indeed. We're fixin' to find out how things will go. Are we ready? Maybe, maybe not. Thing is, this is going to be the darkest times this nation has ever seen as a whole. I think the second amendment will be the least of our worries in the days and years ahead. This day in history......let it be a sign. May God help us all.
    I got to say it: I carry daily, and I voted for Obama. The reason is pretty simple; the last 8 years have made it exceptionally hard to see what happened to this proud and great nation. A few selfish and irresponsible individuals caused not only a financial, but also a moral collapse which I am sure we will take decades to recover from.

[removed religious references to comply with forum rules... sorry for posting this twice didn't see first post was deleted by admin]
    Last edited by PaulJ; November 5th, 2008 at 01:05 AM. Reason: edit to comply with forum rules.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulJ View Post
    one other thing I forgot... stuff like the "gun show loophole" and some inter-state sales laws may get tightened up. If you plan on sell a hand gun: better do it now.
    Why in the world would anyone want to SELL a handgun right now?
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Quote Originally Posted by GWRedDragon View Post
    Why in the world would anyone want to SELL a handgun right now?
    to free up funds for an AR?

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulJ View Post
    to free up funds for an AR?
    Ah, good point. However, good luck finding any 30-round mags to buy for it.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

How can new Supreme Court Justices overturn a prior written decision? I mean doesn't the SCOTUS have the final word? You can't re-write there decisions. They can only make new determinations. There decision is set in stone.
    One more step and it's on!

Quote Originally Posted by Jaystekan View Post
    Am I the only one who isn't really worried about Obama and ccw? I really don't think Obama will have any effect whatsoever on ccw permits. I also don't really think firearms taxes will go up. The assault weapon ban may come back eventually, but I think that's at least a year or two away. The economy is gonna tie up the Dems for quite some time to come. Congressional elections elections in 2 years are going to scare quite a few from messing too much with state rights issues.
    I agree, an AWB maybe, but CCW I don't think so. There are too many Dems in conservative districts who may get into hot water if they do too much.
    Just like the Repubs with abortion, they're accused of wanting to overturn Roe v Wade but they never do.
    Just think though, for the next election if anything goes wrong there's no Bush or Repub majority to blame!
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Links