Roadside Euthanasia - Page 2

Roadside Euthanasia

This is a discussion on Roadside Euthanasia within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; where i live, it's not a problem. guy hits deer with truck, shoots wounded deer. cops show up, fill out report for guys insurance, say ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Roadside Euthanasia

where i live, it's not a problem. guy hits deer with truck, shoots wounded deer. cops show up, fill out report for guys insurance, say good job for shooting deer, then ask who wants it. i had to shoot a dog for my neighbor because it got hit . he told me thanks for ending it's pain. glad he didn't know how bad i wanted to pound him for letting it run loose.

Senior Moderator
    I cant imagine someone getting in trouble for putting a deer out of its misery.

Around here, our deputys and game wardens display common sense when it comes down to it. Many of them are hunters and prefer that a deer be dispatched as humanely as possible.

Its not uncommon for someone to pick up a road killed deer and take it...in fact ,its even encouraged.

Rule #1: Don't talk about Deer Fight Club.

Repeat.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    well in my aera we have the triple S doctrine in dealing with pests be it cyoutes, rattlesnakes, hawks getting the chickens, antalope tearing hell out of fenses , ect. ( Shoot , Shovel , Shutup ) tho eatable pests seem to find thier way to freezers lol and imho NO badly wonded animal should be allowed to suffer , no matter the legailtys

Quote Originally Posted by rfurtkamp
    Rule #1: Don't talk about Deer Fight Club.

Repeat.
    i wondered if that would come up .. woke the old lady up laughing at it to . Thanks for the Early laugh

VIP Member
    A wounded animal would be put down swiftly; it would be the humane thing to do. I've done it before. I also have no problem hunting animals, small or large, to reduce a population explosion. I've done that before, too.

As for deer hitting windshields, it's neither the deer's nor the driver's fault. The deer doesn't have the brain capacity to wait for cars to pass, and I've hit a human darting across the road. There are some things you can't see coming and cannot avoid. Drive on a TN back road where the trees are thick and right up against the road, and you can't see anything until it's already darted on front of you.

A lot of animal populations have exploded and disappeared because of human doings, whether it was through overhunting, overprotection, or introducing non-native species, and now it's up to today's hunters and conservationists to balance what others have done in the past.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

I live and hunt in Northeast Texas and seeing deer crossing the road is not an unexpected event. The local gamewardens (I try to stay in touch with them about many issues) suggest putting the injured animal down and calling 911 (by cell or landline) and they will dispatch the gamewarden. The gamewarden will then come pick up the deer and take it to the local meat locker where it's processed. The meat is then given to some local charitable organization who makes good use of it.

In Texas, if deer are ruining your garden, you can shoot them to stop the damage. Then you must call the game warden (911 or otherwise) and he will do as mentioned above.

On deer damaging vehicles or coming through the windshield: if you're in area where deer are known to roam (usually at night), SLOW DOWN. It's not the popular answer, but it WILL reduce the number of deer damaging the car incidents.

Best,

Fred
    noli nothis permittere te terere...

I've done it and would do it again in a second. Friends and I were out on the sportbikes in the TX Hill Country in Oct this year on an early morning ride. Buck decided to bound across the road in front of a fellow biker and there was a crash.
    Killed the bike outright, but not the deer. Back and both rear legs broken. Dispatched with a single .45 to the back of the head and called DPS (State Patrol).
    Officer asked for my CHL and said he could officially cite me and take my CHL for discharging my weapon on a road.(Deer on the center line of a rural road. Shot it before moving it to prevent more pain then dragged it to the shoulder.)
    Asked the Trooper if he would have done anything different if he were in my shoes and he said he wouldn't. Gave me my licenses back, wrote a ticket for failure to control to the wrecked rider and left.

(Ticket dismissed by the way.)
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

I honestly dont know what's legal and what isnt when it comes to putting a deer down after getting hit by a vehicle. I asked a LEO about it, and he wasnt sure either. So he told me to do what I fealt was needed, but keep my mouth shut about it. Of course, right after he told me this, he said he didnt tell me anything...

I know what instinct tells me to do, and I've done what I felt I had to, in the past.

But I don't know what the current FL law says on the subject. So, I just posted a question on the "Get Answers" part of MyFlorida.com's web site. (Found that from a link on one of FL's .gov web pages.)

Got to say, the subject depresses me.

mm
    Political Correctness has now "evolved" into Political Cowardice.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links