Members from Georgia

Members from Georgia

This is a discussion on Members from Georgia within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am flying to Savannah next week on business and taking along my CCW. I currently hold a Texas CHL which Georgia honors. I have ...

Thread: Members from Georgia

Members from Georgia

I am flying to Savannah next week on business and taking along my CCW. I currently hold a Texas CHL which Georgia honors. I have read the Georgia statutes and have two questions:

1. Are there any things I should know about Savannah's Laws and the reciprocity, similar to Atlanta's not honoring the reciprocity???

2. I am staying at the River Street Inn...is that considered a public gathering place and is it illegal for me to carry concealed there????

Just trying to stay legal here,

tex
    The only thing needed for evil to exist is for good men to stand by and do nothing!!!

This link will help. Georgia Gun Laws in Plain English on GeorgiaPacking.org
    The laws changed recently but River Street shouldn't be considered a public gathering unless there is a festival like St. Patrick's day or something.
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

Thanks joleary,

That was the first place I went.

tex
    The only thing needed for evil to exist is for good men to stand by and do nothing!!!

Georgia public gatherings CCL rules

O.C.G.A. 16-11-127 Carrying deadly weapons to or at public gatherings; affirmative defenses (a) Except as provided in Code Section 16-11-127.1, a person is guilty of a misdemeanor when he or she carries to or while at a public gathering any explosive compound, firearm, or knife designed for the purpose of offense and defense. (b) For the purpose of this Code section, "public gathering" shall include, but shall not be limited to, athletic or sporting events, churches or church functions, political rallies or functions, publicly owned or operated buildings, or establishments at which alcoholic beverages are sold for consumption on the premises. Nothing in this Code section shall otherwise prohibit the carrying of a firearm in any other public place by a person licensed or permitted to carry such firearm by this part. (c) This Code section shall not apply to competitors participating in organized sport shooting events. Law enforcement officers, peace officers retired from state or federal law enforcement agencies, judges, magistrates, solicitors-general, and district attorneys may carry pistols in publicly owned or operated buildings. (d) It is an affirmative defense to a violation of this Code section if a person notifies a law enforcement officer or other person employed to provide security for a public gathering of the presence of such item as soon as possible after learning of its presence and surrenders or secures such item as directed by the law enforcement officer or other person employed to provide security for a public gathering.

GeorgiaPacking.org's Places Where Firearm Carry is Not Off-Limits
    place in Georgia who post NO CCL

just keep in mind a lot of buildings downtown are school owned, so in the historic district i would conceal, dont want to be spotted somewhere your not supposed to be. i carry openly anywhere else in savannah
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

We go to Savannah's about once a year, and Ive never had any problems. But, Im use to traveling, and I know to keep my pistol really concealed when Im not at home.

I will tell you that back in 1988 long before an official agreement between Georgia and Florida I was stopped for a traffic infraction, and I got out of the car to s/w the officer.

The older wiser officer, after deciding to let me go with a warning, also added to it. Ya better go over to the courthouse, and get ya self a totters permit, if youre going to continue carrying that pistol, here in Georgia.

I never brought up the fact there was a 38 S&W at 4 Oclock under my sport coat, but he noticed. Since I was going to be working there another six months I took his advise and paid the $15 for a Georgia permit.

....similar to Atlanta's not honoring the reciprocity
    I'd sure like to hear more about this topic. It's the first that I've heard of it.

The problem with PG is that few actually understand the mechanics of the statute because it was purposely written to be as vague as possible. Ambuiguity as to what is and isn't a public gathering allowed police to harass the black populace of the day under the pretext of enforcing law. Add to that that most police departments of today don't train their officers on how to handle an interaction with a legally armed citizen and even fewer officers have actually read the appropriate chapter in OCGA and you have a recipe for trouble, as evidenced by the number of departments that have been sued over the last two years for falsely detaining citizens for OC or illegally seizing their firearms during an encounter.

A hotel is absolutely, positively not a public gathering, but it doesn't mean that some JBT won't arrest you for it only later to have the charges dropped by the DA Offc. In all honesty, unless you get some cop that has it badly for you, it shouldn't be a problem legally but the hotel may ask you to either conceal so as to not alarm other guests or lodge else where. Refusal to comply would constitute criminal trespass. The thing to watch out for is that places may become a PG depending on any events that are held. For instance, if the hotel has a church sponsored function on their premises or are hosting a political guest speaker, for instance, than it becomes a PG while those activities are on going.
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

Quote Originally Posted by Moga View Post
    The problem with PG is that few actually understand the mechanics of the statute because it was purposely written to be as vague as possible.
    And few judges actually agree on it.
    --
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend. (J.R.R.Tolkien, The Two Towers)

Well, except for the crappy service I had flying Delta Airlines, everything went very well. No problems with checking the gun in at the ticket counter or carrying it with me around town.

Thanks for all your help!!! I had a great time in Savannah. Went on two tours, a riverboat ride and at Uncle Bubba's Oyster Bar and his sisters Paula Deen's place The Lady & Sons Resturaunt.

tex45acp

Links