Change In Habits?

This is a discussion on Change In Habits? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If another AWB is passed limiting the capacity of magazines I am wondering how many folks will chuck their old weapon, carry a reduced capacity ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Change In Habits?

Change In Habits?

If another AWB is passed limiting the capacity of magazines I am wondering how many folks will chuck their old weapon, carry a reduced capacity magazine, or switch to a revolver or something.

2. Remove Ads

I take it your concerned about ex post facto law? If the AWB is similar to the previous one, that will not be an issue and you'll actually want to hang onto those mags and guns, rather than toss them. This is the origin of the term pre and post-ban regarding magazines, rifles, etc.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

There is no way of knowing what a new AWB would include. Banning new things is easy. Taking things away is a lot harder. Keep in contact with your Congress Critter!
    -Biker

Are we joking???? What part of "shall not be infringed" do we not understand??? The errosion of the second amendment that We the people have allowed disgusts me to no end.....
    Evil triumphs when good men do nothing! Edmond Burke
    Where the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Where the government fears the people, there is liberty! Benjamin Franklin

THIS IS THE PRIMARY REASON WE HAVE THE 2ND AMENDMENT!!!

I wouldn't chuck my weapons if they banned guns altogether!
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Paladin132 View Post
    If another AWB is passed limiting the capacity of magazines I am wondering how many folks will chuck their old weapon, carry a reduced capacity magazine, or switch to a revolver or something.
    No,I didnt and will not.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    It depends how the law is written I suppose. If the normal capacity magazines are allowed if you already have them, nothing will change for me. If they limit capacity to 10 as they did before, but make it retroactive, I'll move to a 1911. I'm a firm believer in more is better, if I cannot have more rounds I'll have more size in the rounds I do have.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Typically, firearms (and mags and such) that you owned before the law went into effect are grandfathered. I was thinking about buying an AR-15 today for this very reason... I don't really need one at the moment, but my kids might.

:)

Yeah, AFAIK all previous "bans" grandfathered existing weapons & magazines, so in all likelyhood you'll be okay with what you already have. In fact with the Clinton AWB, all magazines manufactured before the ban was instated could still be sold. You could still find pre-ban magazines for sale all the way up until the AWB expired, though they were rare and quite expensive. So I would expect any potential AWB to likewise be based upon date of manufacture, and not date of acquisition.

Everyone fearing all these bans from Obama should remember that the President does not create or pass legislation, Congress does. Our bigger fear should be the Senate reaching the magic 60% majority which will neutralize Republican fillibuster power. I can only hope that any Democratic margins will be slim enough that the pro-gun Dem's will keep much anti-gun legislation from breezing through Congress.
    David

Kimber Pro CDP II Colt Combat Commander Glock 26 GNS Ruger Mark III 22/45 Kahr CW9 (sold)

I bought an H&K USP(full-size)9mm during the first AWB. It come with two 10 rnd mags. When the ban expired, I bought 4 15 round mags for it. I also bought a P2000 9mm (it's my carry gun) which came w/2 13 rnd mags. I have since purchased 3 additional 13 rnd mags. I will be OK, as long as the AWB is not retro-active. I can also buy 10 rnd mags for the P2000.

Otherwise, I will buy an HK45 which holds 10 rnds or an HK45c which holds 8 rnds.

I'm sure that if the election goes the wrong way, we will also be looking at the demise of CCW.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

It would not surprise me, if they passed an even more restrictive "anti high capacity law".

I've already purchased a G26 which hold 10 in the magazine, and currently use it as my EDC.

And just in case, I brought my old SP101 Ruger 357 back out of the safe.

I believe anything the government wants to take away will go underground
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

Assault weapons & high cap mags??? Whats that?? Never heard of such things, sounds dangerous!!! Nothing to see here.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

VIP Member
    Since I carry a 1911 there won't be any changes for me!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I disagree that our biggest fear is a democrat majority that will reinstate the AWB. If that happens, God Forbid, at least you can still have a gun and conceal carry.
    The far bigger threat is Obama appointing supreme court justices who will interpret the 2A to apply only to militias, as many want, and not allow individuals to own firearms. There are at least two, and probably three sitting justices who it is believed will retire in the next presidential term. You can bet everything you own that Obama will only appoint Justices who agree with his belief that no citizen should own a handgun.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links