CHL Instructor Carrying Mexican Style. - Page 2

CHL Instructor Carrying Mexican Style.

This is a discussion on CHL Instructor Carrying Mexican Style. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; When you attend instructors school of any type they talk about modeling. You look, act and speak the way you want your students need to ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CHL Instructor Carrying Mexican Style.

When you attend instructors school of any type they talk about modeling. You look, act and speak the way you want your students need to in order to be successful doing what you are teaching.

As with all things especially a pistol course for CCW you need to cover the Selection, Carry, Deployment and Use of the pistol. The instructor in question already showed that he is not competent to teach the carry part. That would be enough for me to go somewhere else.

Agreed Mercop.

BTW I am a fan of _Appendix Carry_ which in my mind is same positioning as Mexican Carry only doing so with a proper holster.
    Mexican Carry has long been known as pistol stuffed in pant with no holster, typically at the front but not exclusively.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Appendix carry is what I advocate for those who believe there is no such thing as a gun fight, just a fight with a gun involved. IMHO from a well rounded combative standpoint is is the most intuitive, fast in to the fight, carry position there is not to mention a great retention position.

I am with farronwolf, I have known that inside waistband/front with no holster has been known as "mexican carry" every since I saw my great grandfather carry his single action 45 colt that way (I was about 5 or 6) He normaly carried w/the loading gate open to keep the pistol from slipping down in his pants. :)

If you don't think that is a FAST way to draw a SA colt, you need to find some old man that used SA colts & get edumacated!

According to my grandfather, some men carried that way while they were in "town". BTW, we used to have pix of my grandfather riding into town in a buckboard wagon . . . .Town was otherwise know as San Antonio Tx.

Yup Mexican carry has been around for a long time . . . . It's just not Politically Correct to call it that any more!
    Every man be armed. Everyone who is able may have a gun. - Patrick Henry

Wish I had a carry method named after me

I'm betting he had a IWB holster. If not, no comment.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Maybe thats why he is retired?
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

Administrator
    I guess a point should be made that the mexican carry was common among the old timers.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    I sort of wonder why the "instructor" was demonstrating anything at all at the range.

To get the TX license you need to pass the range test---the specifics of which are given in the statute and consist of a total of 50 shots at a specified target, at specified distances, and specific timing. And the shots are so easy, it is more about following instructions and not firing too soon or after the bell. This part should not vary from one place to another as it is in the code.

The other part of the course is classroom stuff on the concealed carry laws, penal code, legal/illegal use of force. It is also about passing a modest written test on the above.

I really don't quite get why the guy was "showing off????"
    or whatever he was doing "demonstrating" anything much at all.

So, as others have written---with a tad of editing by me, "whatever works." I assume she completed the course, got the paper work done, prints, photos, and all sent off to DPS.

IF you want combat or technique training, look elsewhere.

Combat techniques are not part of the statutory requirements for the license.

Hopyard,

This wasn't actually during the class. Her class will be on Saturday. This was a pre class registration and informational session.

It was a couple of hours. I guess he likes to meet the people and make sure that they are handling the guns safely. It was very informal and a lot of conversation was had. He also uses it to work with people that don't have good shooting skills etc, to make sure that when they do the proficiency they will actually do well.

I actually am glad that he does this, because he did start my wife thinking about some scenarios and such. I have posed some things to her but any of you guys that are married know how much the wife listens to you right. Well she did actually listen to this guy, and I am hoping when she gets done with the 10 hour session that she will see more light, and be more convinced that she does need to carry every day.

He went over a bit about muscle memory, how to clearing jams/ftf, checking the surrounding area after a threat is neutralized and some other stuff for folks that have had zero training. I think all this stuff is good even though not required by the law.

Like I said before the only thing that I found odd was the way he was carrying.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

What you do yourself and what you model during a commercial class are two different things. To many new shooters that would mean they should get rid of their holsters and shove whatever they carry into their waistband.

Wait, I'm still confused -- Mexican carry is simply no holster? End of story?
    It is utterly illogical to believe that passing laws to reduce gun violence will be successful when those who are commiting the gun violence do not obey the law.

That's what it's been to me for 30 years...gun stuffed down your waistband. Stupid, but cheap and quick.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach and Holly View Post
    Wait, I'm still confused -- Mexican carry is simply no holster? End of story?
    As stowed/carried unholstered in ones waistband, to be most specific.

Urban Dictionary: mexican carry
    Mexican carry: misunderstood as to both history and application...
    West Coast Combatives: 10 Thoughts on Mexican Carry
    Hidden Defense: Hip Grip/Mexican Carry Trigger Holster

This term is older than John McCain.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by mercop View Post
    What you do yourself and what you model during a commercial class are two different things. To many new shooters that would mean they should get rid of their holsters and shove whatever they carry into their waistband.
    Agreed again Mercop.

When acting as an instructor you take the highest ground possible and not just by stated instruction to the class but by actions and example too.
    A new driver instructor doesn't teach students by demonstration and not wear his seat belt and/or California roll through red lights.
    What you do on your own time out of class is your own business but when on the clock and in _professional_ mode you be and act like a professional, completely.

This was a terrible example for newbie level students as it seems to have been the case by description.

- Janq

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links