CHL Instructor Carrying Mexican Style.

This is a discussion on CHL Instructor Carrying Mexican Style. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well to start out on a good note, I finally got the wife enrolled in a Texas CHL class. We went out this morning to ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CHL Instructor Carrying Mexican Style.

CHL Instructor Carrying Mexican Style.

Well to start out on a good note, I finally got the wife enrolled in a Texas CHL class. We went out this morning to fill out the paperwork, get the photo, and fingerprints done ect. I am starting early with my renewal, it actually doesn't expire till April, but no sense in putting it off right.

So we get out to his place and we meet the instructor and his wife, start filling out the paperwork and such. I notice the instructor has a light weight jacket on and a cell phone sticking out on his right side. A little while later I notice his jacket is open and he is carrying a stainless semi auto in the front of his pants. I think to myself, hmmm ok, and go about doing paperwork, small talk etc.

He then goes over some gun safety with us and techniques of point shooting ect. We head over to his range and do some shooting, I end up having to take away the Bersa from the wife and give her my PT111 to shoot with which I had been carrying the entire time concealed. I was shooting with my Dan Wesson 1911. Apparently she doesn't like the Bersa at all and will be qualifying with my PT111.

So after we get done shooting some the instructor goes through some what if's on the range with us an at one point during a robbery scenario, simulates tossing his wallet, pulls his S&W out of his belt and shoots at three different targets. Apparently the third guy that was doing this with us had not noticed that the instructor was carrying much less mexican style.

No, my carry method will not change, I just found this odd from an instructor, especially one that is retired DPS.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

2. Remove Ads

Farron,

Do you mean mexican style as in no holster and his gat stuffed in between the gut and belt?!

That is no way to represent ones self as a professional nor to instruct and advise students.
    Is this person with a formal training outfit?

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Was it this guy?
    YouTube - DEA Agent

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Farron,

Do you mean mexican style as in no holster and his gat stuffed in between the gut and belt?!

That is no way to represent ones self as a professional nor to instruct and advise students.
    Is this person with a formal training outfit?

- Janq
    Yep, you got it.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Well to start out on a good note, I

No, my carry method will not change, I just found this odd from an instructor, especially one that is retired DPS.
    I find it quite odd for someone who sets himself up as an instructor to Mexican carry and to be that careless in concealing his weapon.

VIP Member
    That certainly is a poor image to represent to his students.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Was he, uh...Mexican? That's like a Ref showing-up for the game with a white cane & a dog! Just for my curiousity, what kind of pistol was he using?
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    To each his own---I guess?

Was he using those funky wooden grips that you can put on a J-Frame that hangs on the pants? I forget what their called.

Theres a video floating around of the Philipino hit squads, who carry tucked in their shorts a full size pistol and while the weak hand is in the pocket touching the muzzle push up on the pistol almost catching the pistol in mid air and firing one shot. This can be accomplished in .36 of a second; however, they use it if they are about to assassinate somebody not carring a gun for protection.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Administrator
    Its been my experiance that a lot of CCW 'instructors' are like this. The drill you guys were doing also makes this point. I dont even know where to go with this. Its sad really.

Oh well, take it for what its worth. Thats what you get when you have guys who take a few hour long classes and are now 'instructors'. What a joke. go through the motions, get her permit, and then get some training.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Why would you call it “Mexican style”. Not picking at you.. Just wondering.

Until others posted I was trying to figure out what you where talking about.

The only Mexican’s I’ve ever known who carried pistols (since it’s highly illegal there) where members of the Federal Police and they wore a very nice black suit, white shirt and black tie, and carried a pistol in a fine leather holster.

OH.. If I noticed an instructor carry a pistol in such a way, I would seek a class from someone else.

Don't get me wrong, the guy was pretty good from what I saw during the short introduction. His techniques etc. were pretty good. His gun handling skills were safe, and his instructions for point shooting were good.

Like I said, he is a retired state trooper. The only persons of the three that knew he had the gun was me. My wife and the other guy never saw his gun until he pulled it on the range in the demonstration.

The mexican style carry was the only thing that really caught me off gaurd.

As far as the "mexican style", well that is what I have known that carry method to be called. If you want to substitute some other name feel free. It is in no way meant to degrade any nationality.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    NRA Instructor

VIP Member
    Could he have been 'Appendix carrying'? Are you sure he didn't have a holster?

I have a couple of tuckable holsters that I carry that way. Access is faster than a tuckable on the strong side.

Some peoples build doesn't allow for this type of carry.......
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

What kind of pistol was he carrying? And, nothing racist about my "mexican" comment. Like you, that's just the only description I know to describe; non-holstered, hip-side, belt-tucked carry. Kinda' like "Kentucky Windage". (Although someone unfamiliar with the term might consider that a hillbilly flatulence joke! )
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

VIP Member
    Appendix carry is my preferred carry location. When I finally get rid of the rest of my belly it will be the only way I carry a pistol. However, my pistol is always in a holster, and that isn't going to change any time soon. I do know a couple of guys that have been there done that that carry Mexican style for one reason or another, never works out to prove a valid point to me.

In my mind the only reason to carry that way is so that one can throw the gun down and make it appear that they were never armed. Since we all follow the laws and have the proper permits to carry a weapon that shouldn't ever be a concern for us.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

I think he was carrying a S&W semi in .40 cal, stainless with black grips.

I did not see any holster or any clips on the belt that I could tell. His shirt was tucked in and as long as his light jacket was buttoned shut, you could not see it up front. When his jacket was unbuttoned, you could basically see the entire grip of the gun. It was directly over the belt buckle.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links