Iowa concealed carry laws

This is a discussion on Iowa concealed carry laws within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Can someone give me the don't as far as Iowa carry laws? From what I gather the following are places I can't carry. Schools...Does this ...

Thread: Iowa concealed carry laws

Can someone give me the don't as far as Iowa carry laws? From what I gather the following are places I can't carry.

Schools...Does this mean any school or public school? What about the YMCA? Does day care fall in this category?
    State buildings
    Federal buildings

Believe it or not none of this was talked about in our class. I've looked at the Iowa codes and that is very confusing to say the least.

How difficult was it to get your permit? I'm actually considering applying for a non-resident permit. I have a sister that lives in Iowa, and I can carry in most of the states now, but can't carry when I visit her.
    You'll rock, with a 357 Glock

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    Spike32 There is no such animal as a non-resident permit in Iowa. Residents are at the mercy of their local sheriff.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill MO View Post
    Spike32 There is no such animal as a non-resident permit in Iowa. Residents are at the mercy of their local sheriff.
    Not according to Iowa law. The difference is that I have to apply directly to the State of Iowa, not a county sheriff. I have the application in hand, I just need to properly justify the reasons for the request.

"Nonprofessional permits to carry will only be issued to:

a. nonresident correctional officers and other public officials, other than law enforcement officers*, who are currently employed fulltime in the administration of criminal justice

b. other nonresidents with a demonstrable viable threat to themselves or their family as verified by a law enforcement agency in the jurisdiction where the threat occurred."
    You'll rock, with a 357 Glock

Yes, you CAN apply to the Iowa DPS for a non-resident permit.

The confusion may come from the fact that Iowa recognizes no other state's permit.

If you look at Iowa Code 724.4B, "School" is defined as public or private. The same code section indicates that you may carry at a school if you are specifically authorized to do so by the school. There are also enhanced penalties for crimes commited within 1000' of a school if you are carrying. I don't think that means 'traffic violations', but I ain't the judge.

We have an ongoing thread on IowaCarry.org about Hospital carry--can't tell ya anything much about that.

You may have some difficulty during hunting season, as the DNR has some regulations about carrying during bow or early muzzle loader season. If you're walking in the woods and carrying during those seasons, heads up.

Hope that helped,
    HK Dan
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

Quote Originally Posted by Spike32 View Post
    Not according to Iowa law. The difference is that I have to apply directly to the State of Iowa, not a county sheriff. I have the application in hand, I just need to properly justify the reasons for the request.

"Nonprofessional permits to carry will only be issued to:

a. nonresident correctional officers and other public officials, other than law enforcement officers*, who are currently employed fulltime in the administration of criminal justice

b. other nonresidents with a demonstrable viable threat to themselves or their family as verified by a law enforcement agency in the jurisdiction where the threat occurred."
    All true but, good luck. You basically have to have been threatened with death and have good, demonstrable reason to believe that the person who made the threat is actively trying to carry it out before Iowa will grant you a nonresident permit.

The Iowa laws are gross infringements of the RKBA.

They are, Fender. Iowa Carry is working to change them as we speak, their third bill in 3 years is being written right now (the last one failed 46-46).

We are one of 3 "May issue" states. The sheriff has absolute discretion in the issuance (or lack thereof) of a concealed carry permit. If he doesn't like your face or arrested your cousin once, you're done. No appeal, either. Some of the sheriffs just don't issue, period. Each sheriff has his own class and qualification process too--which makes reciprocity tough (and the fact that we don't recognize anyone else's).

About 1/3 of the counties are "Shall Issue", including mine. If you go in and you're not nuts, a felon, or under investigation, you walk out able to take the class and qualify. 1/3.

I talked to Sam Knowles at DPS and he confirmed what you said--they DO have a process for non-resident permits, but unless you're being chased by Charles Manson in a hockey mask with a chainsaw, at the time you apply so they can interview him--forget about it.

Sorry!
    Dan

Oh--SBE--Don't carry at the State Fair, either. Each county has it's list of gun free zones, though all observe the school restriction and most do court houses/jails unless you're an LEO. Federal law prohibits carry in Federal buildings.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links