Need advice on getting an unrestricted permit in Upstate NY

This is a discussion on Need advice on getting an unrestricted permit in Upstate NY within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi all. I'm in Cayuga County, supposed to be one of the easier counties to get a permit. The safety class instructor says you will ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need advice on getting an unrestricted permit in Upstate NY

Need advice on getting an unrestricted permit in Upstate NY

Hi all. I'm in Cayuga County, supposed to be one of the easier counties to get a permit. The safety class instructor says you will get a permit with restrictions (Collecting, hunting, etc.), but it appears you can request an unrestricted permit with a supplement to the application.

I am self-employed as a Real Estate Appraiser, my clients are mostly banks and my job is to give an unbiased opinion of the value of the home. Now that all these houses are in foreclosure I have come across two issues. First, if I don't say that someone's house is worth what they want/need, they could easily get turned down for the loan (typically a refinance) and lose the home. There are people out there who have lost their homes and blame me, and they know my full name, town where I live and my phone number. Second, I have been asked to appraise homes which have been foreclosed and are now vacant, only to find that some transient has moved into the vacant home and thinks I'm there to kick him out.

Both of these situations make me want to be able to carry unrestricted, for my protection while doing my job and protection at all other times from angry people who lost their home. I don't carry cash, it's all about personal protection (although I'm also very interested in collecting and target shooting).

Anyone have advice on getting an unrestricted permit in Upstate NY?

2. Remove Ads

First of all welcome to DC

And while I can offer no advise for NY, it sounds to me like you've already stated some good reasons for your CCL.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    A friend in upstate NY took several classes on street combat, shooting in self defense, retention, etc. He hasn't made application yet because he's waiting to take another class. He's taking these classes based on the advice of an attorney and others that have unrestricted permits.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Prepare a letter to the judge/issuing officer explaining the circumstances of your profession. You may get a business related restriction. Can't hurt to give it a try.

Some judges/issuing officers will give UNRESTRICTED only after a certain period of restricted carry. Depends a lot on the County.

bosco

The easiest way I see it from your situation is getting a restraining order on someone, and bam you get a full carry for business purposes only.
    One more step and it's on!

Well as a fellow CNY resident I can tell you most counties are pretty liberal with CCW permits.......but it does come down to each county/judge who grants the permit.

I'm in Cortland county and got a NO RESTRICTIONS permit without a problem. I did not apply for anything special, just a CCW license in general.

From what I'm told Cortland, Tioga, Broome, Madison and Cayuga are all pretty easy to get a no restrictions permit as long as your FBI background check comes back clean...

I will say if there is ANYTHING in your record that the FBI might find, you will be denied or you will get restrictions. I don't think safety courses have anything to do with it prior. You are only required to take one AFTER the permit is granted. Generally within one year after the permit is granted you need to show proof of a safety course or your permit will be pulled.

FWIW the only NY restriction is that you cannot carry in NYC no matter what. In order to get NYC permits you have to apply to each district you plan on carrying in.

It also took mine almost 6-months to the week I turned in my papers to come in. So get started right away and you should have your pistol by April 2009.

Thank God I live in Virginia...our taxes may suck, but it's soooooo much easier to get a carry permit.
    You'll rock, with a 357 Glock

As mentioned previously, it is up to the judge in each county. Here in Ulster they are pretty much unrestricted by default. You can put on the application that you would like an unrestricted permit, and attach a letter stating reasons.

If you have a meeting with the judge (some counties do, and some don't), be polite and explain your reasoning. Unless the judge has good reason not to, you should get the permit.

It certainly cannot hurt to take some coursework or classes and mention that as well. Also, if there is a local gun club you can join, I would consider doing that, and mentioning that as well. This will tell the judge that you are serious about your permit, and fully aware of safety concerns.

If you have more questions, please feel free to either post here or IM me if you wish.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

Jonathan
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Currently the wait in Erie County NY is anywhere from 10 months to 1 year. Mostly issued for Hunting or Business protection but it is possible to get an Unrestricted if you know someone in the power seat. My girl is applying next week and taking her NRA course on Monday. I will have to dig deep into the favor-crate to see who might be able to help expedite the process because I want her to get full unrestricted carry.

Quote Originally Posted by Agave View Post
    A friend in upstate NY took several classes on street combat, shooting in self defense, retention, etc. He hasn't made application yet because he's waiting to take another class. He's taking these classes based on the advice of an attorney and others that have unrestricted permits.

I'm having a hard time finding them without going to NYC.

As mentioned earlier, do you have a local gun club? Sometimes there are NRA instructors there that can give you one-on-one training.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Hi PhantomMikey. What County are you in? I can direct you to excellent trainers who offer advanced courses in Erie, Niagara and Monroe County.

As far as I remeber all you have to do is to go back and fill out a Pistol Permit aplication and mark where it says "Permit to Carry" and thats it. You don't need to get a regular permt 1st before the permit to carry.

Here in Montgomery County the issuing judge will remove restrictions after a year if you have not had any trouble. He is very fair and not trying to promote any anti agenda or to make it hard on permit holders.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

My permit is active out of Cayuga County, although I now live a county or two to the west. There was no problem getting an unrestricted permit, the only issue was the wait, as in all of the NYcounties, 8 - 10 months. You should just apply and get the process rolling.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links