SoCal CCW - How many have one?

This is a discussion on SoCal CCW - How many have one? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; And how did you get one??? I;m wondering about LA and Orange County specifically. I moved out of SoCal a few years ago and thought ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SoCal CCW - How many have one?

And how did you get one??? I;m wondering about LA and Orange County specifically.

I moved out of SoCal a few years ago and thought it was darn near impossible to get one.
    Bitter and clinging to my guns and my religion.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckE View Post
    And how did you get one??? I;m wondering about LA and Orange County specifically.

I moved out of SoCal a few years ago and thought it was darn near impossible to get one.
    The process is longer now then 20 years ago. The local county sheriff has sole authority to issue or not issue. California is a "may issue" state. Let me be forthright: in California (SoCal) if you are a diamond dealer that takes diamonds home at night...you can get a CCW Permit that will be limited to the travel time from your house to work in the morning and from work to your house at nite. If they issue to you (doubtful), it will have time of day stamped right on it specifying when you can carry, and don't stop for gas and get caught. If you are "politically connected" you get a CCW Permit. I could give you a list of those who MIGHT succeed in the process but the bottom line is : if you are Joe Citizen save your time, effort and money on this lost cause.

And remember California state law REQUIRES that if you transport your firearm from your house to an approved range that it be in a locked case (not locked in the glove box), preferably the trunk and the ammo secured and locked in a seperate case and location in the vehicle.

Please do not make our LEOs nervous with NRA stickers, bumper stickers that say: "Stop Honking, I'm reloading".....or "this truck protected by Smith & Wesson", they are stressed out enough from their last traffic stop with MS13 and Pasole Boys and AK47s lieing on the front seat of a Hummer.

I have been told that there is only about 2,000 non-law enforcement CCWs issued in the entire state of California.

For ACCURATE info (unlike what the typical responses that this question gets) go to Concealed Firearm Carry Permit in California: Information Database

There are numerous legal actions in progress that target the LE agencies that do not follow CA law for CCW issuance.

Too often, the OP's question gets responses that suggest it's impossible to get a CCW unless you are either a celebrity or extremely wealthy. Your CCW may have a "business-related" restriction but that can be interpreted far more liberally than the previous posting suggests. Basically, if you're not being a jerk or acting like an idiot, you shouldn't have any problems within that use restriction.

Our next step is getting that restriction removed, or taking CA into the SHALL ISSUE category. Until then, get some good information at the above website and don't ask the experts from the other states. You might also refer to Calguns.net for a wealth of good info.

You CAN get a CCW in So Cal. IF, that is, you have good cause for needing one. Good cause is anything which increases your specific chances of being a victim of a violent crime.

Please note: There are LOTS more than 2000 non-LEO ccw permits in California. If you have good cause for needing one, then you CAN get one. The process is arduous, frustrating, and time consuming but it can be done.

Try:

California Concealed Weapon (CCW) Forum for more info on getting a CCW in California.

SoCal CCW

I am always amused at the comments form those that don't live in California in reference to CCWs.Some remarks I find to be a little rude,but I look at it as mostly ignorance of the facts.I live in San Bernardino Counry,which is in So Calif. It is the largest county in the world. Got my CCW in 1977 when I was a reserve sheriff's deputy.They were good for 3 years,but can only list 3 weapons on the permit. Left the reserves in 1997. I still have a permit that I renew every 2 years. I list as good cause "personal protection".Those living in LA and Orange counties have a up hill battle.I feel we in this county that have permits should thank the Sheriff. I know I do, at election time. This July, 31 years of CCW in So.Cal. God has been good to me and mine.

Thanks. I did not know that.

I may be driving over to see a friend in LA soon so I'm glad you mentioned it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsetrader View Post
    And remember California state law REQUIRES that if you transport your firearm from your house to an approved range that it be in a locked case (not locked in the glove box), preferably the trunk and the ammo secured and locked in a seperate case and location in the vehicle.
    Thanks Rob I'll check it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob P. View Post
    You CAN get a CCW in So Cal. IF, that is, you have good cause for needing one. Good cause is anything which increases your specific chances of being a victim of a violent crime.

Please note: There are LOTS more than 2000 non-LEO ccw permits in California. If you have good cause for needing one, then you CAN get one. The process is arduous, frustrating, and time consuming but it can be done.

Try:

California Concealed Weapon (CCW) Forum for more info on getting a CCW in California.
    Bitter and clinging to my guns and my religion.

Quote Originally Posted by Blademan21 View Post
    I am always amused at the comments form those that don't live in California in reference to CCWs.
    Uh..I lived in CA for 10 years. Took my Laws of Arrest, AOJ, and Firearms training there. Work for a PD near San Diego.

I was just repeating what an instructor who is PD sergeant relayed to us.

Also, you noticed I stated that "I have been told" vice "this is fact".
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; November 8th, 2008 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Fixed quote tags.

You can find most of the CA's with CCW's on a list called..."The Rich and Famous"...

Not exactly impossible, but if were David Copperfield, you may be able to pull one out of the hat.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by NavDoc View Post

Uh..I lived in CA for 10 years. Took my Laws of Arrest, AOJ, and Firearms training there. Work for a PD near San Diego.

I was just repeating what an instructor who is PD sergeant relayed to us.

Also, you noticed I stated that "I have been told" vice "this is fact".

Sorry NavDoc, but I wasn't finger pointing. Just an observation that I have noticed. I never intended to rag on your post.

Blademan21
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; November 8th, 2008 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Fixed quote tags.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    You can find most of the CA's with CCW's on a list called..."The Rich and Famous"...

Not exactly impossible, but if were David Copperfield, you may be able to pull one out of the hat.
    It depends on what county in California, since ccw permits are issued by county sheriffs. In LA county or San Francisco county, next to impossible unless you know "somebody". Most of the more rural counties it's not too difficult.

I'm not rich or famous or an LEO, but I have a CCW permit in Kern county, which is in the southern part of the state, but about 80 miles north of LA. Hey, I just noticed, it's my 100th post!
    Last edited by deadhawg; November 8th, 2008 at 01:20 PM. Reason: added county -
    How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual; as a trustworthy & productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised and taken care of.
    Suzanna Hupp

I can't find it now but there used to be a map that broke the counties in California into three categories:

Impossible to obtain
    Almost impossible to obtain
    Almost shall issue

Some counties around L.A. were in the almost shall issue category. Found a similar map and here it is:

http://www.californiaconcealedcarry....untiesmap.html
    Last edited by ronwill; November 8th, 2008 at 01:24 PM. Reason: Added Info
    Member NRA, SAF and Georgiacarry.org
    “America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Blademan21 View Post
    Sorry NavDoc, but I wasn't finger pointing. Just an observation that I have noticed. I never intended to rag on your post.

Blademan21
    No Problem.

There are a LOT of counties north of Tehachepi Pass that give out CCW's for "personal protection" but they are the lightly populated rural counties. I, unfortunately, live in Stanislaus Co. and its really tough to get one here. Just east of here are Calaveras and Tuolumne Co.'s and they are pretty good about pass'n them out. I think long and hard from time to time about moving into one of those counties, might do it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by NavDoc View Post
    I have been told that there is only about 2,000 non-law enforcement CCWs issued in the entire state of California.
    There is more than that many in my county alone, in fact my wife is taking her first ever class to carry TODAY! She meets others at the range at 0900 hours. Yeah!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links