Curious about Oregon

Curious about Oregon

This is a discussion on Curious about Oregon within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have heard that Oregon has one of the best gun license laws around (as in less restrictive than most). But why do they not ...

Thread: Curious about Oregon

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar

Curious about Oregon

I have heard that Oregon has one of the best gun license laws around (as in less restrictive than most). But why do they not recognize the gun licenses of ANY other state? Are they concerned about out of staters coming in and shooting up the place? Oregon should take a hint from Oklahoma, where everyone's gun license is observed. I can tell you that we have had absolutely no problems from this policy whatsoever. Does Oregon have anti-gunners influential enough to keep them from recognizing others? Seems to me if so, they would have make Oregon's law more restrictive in other ways. I don't get it.
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    It is a political issue. I just talked to a sheriff's office and a bill was introduced in the legislature to recognize reciprocity. Never made it out of committee.

I don't see much changing in that regard over the next four years. However, I plan to run for governor and I will see what I can do about it.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Look at the political maps from the presidential election. The whole West coast is blue. I grew up in Washington, and like Oregon the west side of the state is leans heavily to the left and the east side of the state leans to the right. Since the west sides of both states are the populus portion of the states, it is difficult to move pro-gun legislation forward.

In the Seattle area, the influx of Californicators (sorry, couldn't resist) has pushed the political landscape even further to the left, and the reputations of both Seattle and Portland as eco-friendly cities continues to draw more and more outsiders that don't know or care "how the west was won."

You can drive an hour out of Seattle or Portland and be in rural areas where guns are still part of the culture, but the residents of the big cities (with liberal leanings) are controlling the states now.

I often wonder how long I will be able to continue living in Western Washigton. I live in a rural area, but the west side of the state is quickly being degraded by the influx of outsiders.

There's always the last frontier.

Charles

Ory-gun

Because the people who run the state came from out of state and mistrust anyone from out of state. We believe in no sales tax, assisted suicide and medical marijuana but not pumping our own gas. We believe California will be an island off our coast. We believe that you have a right to own and carry a switchblade knife as long as its not concealed. We believe that you have the right to own a magazine as big as you can carry. We believe you can own an assault rifle. Does any of this amke sense? Only if you're an Oregonian. <G>

Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post
    It is a political issue. I just talked to a sheriff's office and a bill was introduced in the legislature to recognize reciprocity. Never made it out of committee.

I don't see much changing in that regard over the next four years. However, I plan to run for governor and I will see what I can do about it.
    There is still another on the table about reciprocity and one about the National Parks too......

Both apparently have very strong momentum and look to be getting the juice to get through....

However, the reciprocity law is still going to leave the final choice up to the states and that might not really help much in the more anti-gun states....

The CCW in a National Park however seems to be on the fast track for approval.......

Sponsored Links