Non-Resident CC in New Mexico

This is a discussion on Non-Resident CC in New Mexico within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys, I just arrived in New Mexico, my Arizona CCW is valid here, but there seems to be some question regarding CC where alcohol ...

Thread: Non-Resident CC in New Mexico

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar

Non-Resident CC in New Mexico

Hey guys, I just arrived in New Mexico, my Arizona CCW is valid here, but there seems to be some question regarding CC where alcohol is sold. Any imput?
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Until recently CC was illegal wherever any form of alcohol was sold, even in a convenience store. Now it is legal to CC in a liquor store or convenience store selling alcohol, but not anywhere alcohol is sold for on-site consumption.

Maybe the following will help:

"30-7-3.
    Unlawful carrying of a firearm in licensed liquor establishments.
    A. Unlawful carrying of a firearm in an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages consists of carrying a loaded or unloaded firearm on any premises licensed by the regulation and licensing department for the dispensing of alcoholic beverages except:

(1) by a law enforcement officer in the lawful discharge of the officer's duties;
    (2) by a law enforcement officer who is certified pursuant to the Law Enforcement Training Act acting in accordance with the policies of the officer’s law enforcement agency;
    (3) by the owner, lessee, tenant or operator of the licensed premises or the owner's, lessee's, tenant's or operator's agents, including privately employed security personnel during the performance of their duties;
    (4) by a person carrying a concealed handgun who is in possession of a valid concealed handgun license for that gun pursuant to the Concealed Handgun Carry Act; provided that the licensed establishment does not sell alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises;
    (5) by a person in that area of the licensed premises usually and primarily rented on a daily or shortterm basis for sleeping or residential occupancy, including hotel or motel rooms;
    (6) by a person on that area of a licensed premises primarily used for vehicular traffic or parking; or
    (7) for the purpose of temporary display, provided that the firearm is:
    (a) made completely inoperative before it is carried onto the licensed premises and remains inoperative while it is on the licensed premises; and
    (b) under the control of the licensee or an agent of the licensee while the firearm is on the licensed premises.
    B. Whoever commits unlawful carrying of a firearm in an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages is guilty of a fourth degree felony."
    Member NRA, SAF and Georgiacarry.org
    “America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” Abraham Lincoln

You should also be careful on indian reservations. Most do not recognize the NM CCW.
    A veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his/her life, wrote a blank check made payable
    to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life." Author unknown

You cannot carry anywhere alcohol is sold for consumption on the premesis.

cj
    Quote Originally Posted by roadsiderob View Post
    You cannot carry anywhere alcohol is sold for consumption on the premesis.
    Yep. It's a pain since we're right near the border, and all of the restaurants the wife wants to visit sell alcohol.

For completness, I should add that NM is an Open Carry State. HOWEVER you CAN NOT OC in any establishment that sells alcoholic beverages for off-premises consumption, even thought licensed CC is permitted there.

C
    Seeking Knowledge, Hoping for Wisdom

Welcome to New Mexico, by the way!

Max

Quote Originally Posted by flagflyfish View Post
    Hey guys, I just arrived in New Mexico, my Arizona CCW is valid here, but there seems to be some question regarding CC where alcohol is sold. Any imput?
    You didn't ask about this, but a unique CCW law in NM limits concealed firearms on your body to one, at least as of July 2008. I don't know if that's still valid or not. I read it myself, but it was buried deep in the CCW law. It was not easy to find. (Thanks to cvhoss for pointing that out to me.)

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    I really wish states would write their laws in such a way that consumption of alcohol is limited/prohibited while carrying - instead of not letting you in the building. I mean there are very, very few restaurants that don't serve alcohol at all these days (other than fast food and Chuck E Cheese), it's a real pain to go out with friends if you can't go in any restaurant without trying to discreetly disarm while they're in the car. I mean, I imagine it would be... here in TX we only have to disarm if walking into a bar...
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

Quote Originally Posted by KevinDooley View Post
    I really wish states would write their laws in such a way that consumption of alcohol is limited/prohibited while carrying - instead of not letting you in the building. I mean there are very, very few restaurants that don't serve alcohol at all these days (other than fast food and Chuck E Cheese), it's a real pain to go out with friends if you can't go in any restaurant without trying to discreetly disarm while they're in the car. I mean, I imagine it would be... here in TX we only have to disarm if walking into a bar...
    As far as alcohol establishments in Tx it's 51% of business from alcohol sales ,there are a few other places we cannot carry also
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    Yeah, 51% of sales from alcohol to be consumed on premises = a bar without food 99% of the time... I'm aware of other places we can't carry, they just didn't seem pertinent in this conversation.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

There is a bill in in the legislature now to allow CC in restaurants that serve alcohol so long a 60% of their revenue is derived from food sales. Not sure how they'll convey that info to you when you enter though.
    Jeff
    NRA Member
    Kimber Ultra Carry II, Glock G23 & G36, Kahr PM9, Winchester 1300 Defender 12gauge pump
    (my favorite but hard to hide)

cj
    Hope that bill passes! It's such a pain to go down there from the border of Colorado, only to realize that the little Thai place we go to happens to have a beer option on the menu.

Links