OK, North America in general... - Page 2

OK, North America in general...

This is a discussion on OK, North America in general... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It will only take one violent robbery, for you to plan your trip to accommodate your travel with a firearm...kind of like taking the extra ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OK, North America in general...

It will only take one violent robbery, for you to plan your trip to accommodate your travel with a firearm...kind of like taking the extra planning to have a 'pet' along...it can be done.

Stay armed...plan ahead...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Other Options

There are other ways to defend yourself besides a gun you just have to learn to think outside of the box. If I'm some where that I can't carry a gun I'll carry at least one knife. If I can't take Either of them with me where I'm going I'll walk with a cane or a walking stick. In a bar my first drink probably will be a 12ounce long neck beer. There are always way's. Just stay aware of your surroundings and stay safe.

VIP Member
    Above, someone wrote that the laws are a hodgepodge. That is the big problem. You have to know in advance where you will be going, research the laws for that specific state, and even then, sort out some ambiguities---and err on the side of not being armed or possessing if you are not 100% certain you know the law in a particular local.

It is very important to us that Congress pass a law that would require states to honor the licenses issued by other states; but I don't think this will happen.

There is another issue-- lots of folks recommend that it is OK to rely on the Federal law. But this Federal travel law has great limitations. States and local jurisdictions interpret it with varying degrees of leeway. NJ, NY, MA, IL, will find some way if possible to negate the immunity. OR, the Federal law may be applicable but something about your weapon or bullets might not be--e.g., in NY and in NJ.

One thing that has always concerned me, is that while it is OK for me to travel through certain states with the gun locked in the trunk, my unlicensed spouse might not meet the Federal requirement that she was lawfully allowed to possess at start and end of journey. An overzealous officer could arrest her, even though I (the license holder) would have immunity. For this reason, I will never leave a gun locked in the trunk. If I can't have it on my person, I don't have it.

Best thing you can do is get a resident permit where you live, and a Florida or Utah non-resident permit. At least that will give you 33 to 35 states to carry in.
    You'll rock, with a 357 Glock

Looks like I will be traveling with my charm, good looks, and winning personality.

Thanks for all the responses - it was informative.

VIP Member

Right, and more

Quote Originally Posted by BLKTOPTRVL View Post
    Looks like I will be traveling with my charm, good looks, and winning personality.

Thanks for all the responses - it was informative.
    Right!! And more too. You need to be even more careful about both knife and pepper spray laws as these are usually local and vary all over the place. It is almost impossible to know what is legal, even within one's own state as things change from municipality to municipality.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links