OK, North America in general...
This seems to most appropriate place to put this... sorry if I am wrong.
I purchased my first handgun this week. I am still debating in my own mind if I really do want to - or donít want to carry it with me as I drive 3400 miles across the US to take a temporary job.
The reasons to of course are all about self defense; the reasons not to are numerous and include:
- the fact that I travel all over the US. When I travel for pleasure, I visit everything I want to see; including state and national parks, amusement parks, casinos, hotels, and mom and gas station stores. There is such a mix of laws that I think it makes it almost impossible to be in compliance all the time.
- the fact that I sometimes "live" in motels for weeks or months on end (while on a job in a foreign US state) where it would be even more difficult to leave the gun locked in a hotel room because I cannot carry it onto the property of the employer - either inside the building or only in the parking lot.
- as a sometimes a forgetful person, I know that carrying - whether licensed or not will require a whole lot of additional awareness - and it may still be easy to screw up (e.g. David Crosby).
- being that I travel in my car, it seems that there is a great deal of potential problems related to leaving the gun in a locked car that could be broken into (even if I installed a safe), deciding to leave the weapon in the car when I cannot carry it into a hotel, or leaving it in the hotel when I cannot take it in a park, and the even more complicated issue of where to leave it when it cannot be carried into the park or into the hotel.
- there are times when I have traveled to a city, and then have to take a plane to still another city and would have to decide where to leave the weapon.
- what to do, when I am traveling by car and decide to take a jaunt into Canada.
- and of course the ever-popular, what are the odds that I will be arrested, harassed, or even killed by a bad cop (apologies to any LEO people who do not fit the category) who do not like the idea of some people who carry a gun and will do all they can to make my life miserable? (and please don't say it doesn't happen.)
It seems that carrying a gun really can limit your ability to complete and enjoy your trips.
I also recognize that when you are new to owning a gun, there are a lot of easy ways to trip yourself up and I was thinking that if I do not carry it on this trip across the country, that I would instead buy a small orange plastic water pistol and use it as a surrogate on this trip to see just how many times I may encounter a dilemma.
I post this because I am still conflicted on the issue and would appreciate any insight - I know this is a pro-gun site, so most of you would probably say it is worth the trouble, but I am still curious to know your reactions to this post.