Washington State Non-Resident Permit: Catch 22?

Washington State Non-Resident Permit: Catch 22?

This is a discussion on Washington State Non-Resident Permit: Catch 22? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am planning to visit family in eastern Washington State and Idaho in January, and seem to have an issue with the Washington State non-resident ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Washington State Non-Resident Permit: Catch 22?

Question Washington State Non-Resident Permit: Catch 22?

I am planning to visit family in eastern Washington State and Idaho in January, and seem to have an issue with the Washington State non-resident permit, and was wondering if anyone has any more details.

Idaho is not a problem, as my NY permit is valid there, but Washington needs an in-person visit in order to get the fingerprints for the non-resident permit. Seems strange to me that I need to appear in person as a non-resident.

I did have some brief correspondence with an Assistant Attorney General in WA, and she seemed to confirm that as well. Is it unusual that I would need to go out to Washington State from NY to obtain a non-res permit?

Anyone have any experience on this one? Thanks!

Jonathan
    Last edited by JonInNY; November 10th, 2008 at 07:58 PM.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Yup, in person only. I applied for a permit here in Spokane the other day. As a non-resident, you can apply at any police station. The app is 2 pages and cost is $55.25 (cash or check). You need a valid drivers license. Fill out your info, pay your money, get full set of electronic fingerprints. Shall issue and there are no training or other requirements. Application says max 60 days to receive your permit. You can have it mailed to your home in NY. Valid 5 years. Probably not fast enough for your trip, but the law is the law.

WA State Licensing: Concealed Pistol License

assuming you visit Spokane:

Spokane County Sheriff's Office‎
    1100 W Mallon Ave, Spokane, WA‎ - (509) 477-2240‎

West Broadway and Monroe. (a short walk north of downtown) Go behind main courthouse building to Police Services Building. Through metal detectors and ask the receptionist for Concealed Permit application and she will send you to the Dept of Licensing (main floor toward the rear)

Be sure to visit Cabela's in Post Falls, ID while you are here. :)

Yes this is correct, you must be in person. I believe that was intentionally done so that counties and cities that don't like having to issue permits can get away with delays. For example, at King County Superior court you wait to get printed but can do so daily. All other locations in the County (to my knowledge) require an appointment. Not an appointment for the application, because that would violate the law. You need an appointment for the finger printing.

I had to wait several weeks (I forget how many now) and they mailed my permit post dated - so it wasn't even valid until the full 30 day maximum wait had passed.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

In Everett you get printed when you fill out the forms. You will also find that in Oregon you also have to be present to get paperwork and prints done.

Quote Originally Posted by nutz4utwo View Post
    assuming you visit Spokane
    Thanks... I will be about 100 miles to the south, in the Clarkston/Lewsiton area. Starting off in Seattle, then driving across.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Get a Utah permit. It's good in both Idaho and Washington. As a matter of fact, that permit combined with my Virgina permit gives me 35 states. Application is fairly easy. The only hitch is the training requirement. It must be done by a certified Utah instructor. Fortunately, most states have several.
    You'll rock, with a 357 Glock

Non-resident carry in Washington

Plus 1 to getting a Utah permit. It will take several months typically to get the Utah permit issued, so plan ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by JonInNY View Post
    Thanks... I will be about 100 miles to the south, in the Clarkston/Lewsiton area. Starting off in Seattle, then driving across.
    Go to the King Co. Superior Court downtown. The wait is about an hour.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

I was born in WA state and lived there for a many years, and still have family there. Although applying in person for up a Non Resident permit is different than most other states, there is some left wing "reason" to it. This being that they did not want to issue permits to non residents that never had any intention to visit WA state. Hence, if they make you pick it up in person, it proves that you did at least visit WA on one occasion.

They don't like the idea issuing permits when they no real purpose within WA if your not going to be there.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post
    I was born in WA state and lived there for a many years, and still have family there. Although applying in person for up a Non Resident permit is different than most other states, there is some left wing "reason" to it. This being that they did not want to issue permits to non residents that never had any intention to visit WA state. Hence, if they make you pick it up in person, it proves that you did at least visit WA on one occasion.

They don't like the idea issuing permits when they no real purpose within WA if your not going to be there.
    I understand that logic, but this setup will need to make me go to Washington twice! I guess I will deal with the paperwork when I get out there, and be ready for the time after!
    Last edited by JonInNY; November 11th, 2008 at 03:55 PM.
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by JonInNY View Post
    I uderstand that logic, but this setup will need to make me go to Washington twice!
    More money for us I guess! ;-)

(My guess is the intent was to support frequent visitors, not one-time visitors. Like if you travel to WA on business regularly.)

While I haven't dealt with out-of-state permits, I've gotten permits both down town Seattle (although it was quite a while ago), and in Everett.

I've also gotten fingerprints down town Seattle for some work related stuff.

In none of the cases did I have to make an appointment, but as I said, the stuff in Seattle was a long time ago.

As noted above, in Everett, getting the prints is just part of the process. You show up, fill out the form, wait until called, pay them and they send you back where you are printed.

When I was in Seattle, I recall them having a specific fingerprinting department, but it could be different now.

Note they are likely to have limited hours, perhaps even a time for lunch in which they will not be available, so check ahead for hours.

As pointed out in another thread, they don't have weekend hours.

One thing to consider is avoid lunch time if you can. It seems a number of people try to do their business on their lunch hour, so it is particularly busy and you are likely to wait for quite a while. Personally, I'd shoot for as close to opening time as possible for the least wait.

Also keep in mind you will have to go through security, so leave your sharps or anything that such a security check might object to in the car.

The down town Seattle is 'metro'. Busy, lots of people and 'departments'. The one in Everett is a small office and seems pretty laid back.

Good luck.

-john

Quote Originally Posted by bzdog View Post
    More money for us I guess! ;-)
    -john
    Thanks John. I have been to Seattle quite often, so I know the area fairly well. I will check out the process when I am there in January.
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Get a Utah permit.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

I recommend the Utah permit if you can. It's good in both WA and ID.

I live in Idaho, but work in Washington. I got my WA non-resident permit in Spokane in March, and it took an in-person visit and about 3 weeks. The ID permit isn't recognized in WA, but WA is good in Idaho - since I carry in both, the WA non-resident made more sense. I got the UT permit so I have more options when visiting other NW states. It cost me a little more, but the class time and shooting qualification just adds to my credibility if there's ever an incident.

Thanks, as always, for all your good advice. I found a Utah certified instructor in New Jersey, who holds the classes monthly. I am going to try and sign up for the December class.

Now, hopefully, I won't have any trouble bringing my firearms into NJ for the class!
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links