Dogs - Pets/Protection

Dogs - Pets/Protection

This is a discussion on Dogs - Pets/Protection within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; No clue what forum to put this on, move it where it fits best. I've read many threads on this site where it is mentioned ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dogs - Pets/Protection

Dogs - Pets/Protection

No clue what forum to put this on, move it where it fits best.

I've read many threads on this site where it is mentioned that a dog serves as an alarm, protector, or deterrent. I agree and I thought I would share what I've learned.

I have an 11 year old German Shepherd (GSD). My reasoning for selecting this breed was the exposure to other GSDs and what a great all around breed they are. I got this breed because he fits my personality and life style: active, obedient, loyal, playful, intelligent, loving, forgiving, and trainable. This was never going to be a dog tied to a tree in the back yard that gets 5 minutes of attention per day and he never will be. He grew and filled out to be a big one: 100+ lbs. Sweet animal, loves people especially children. I don't think I got lucky with him. He and I both worked hard to get him where he needed to be.

I soon discovered that he also had a protective nature, this is his instinct. Can't train it out of him but can train restraint. He has never been a problem nor will I ever let him be. This is my responsibility, not his.

It took about 2 years of training to get him where I could trust that he would make the right decisions on his own. Now he is 11. He is still active but he is slowing down. His hearing is shot, vet says it's because of age. He is not as much of a deterrent as he once was. But... break into my house, I dare you. He may not hear you well but he can still see and smell you.

He was able to deliver about 8 years of devoted protection and he still will but at slower pace. Now he is more into relaxation.

My point in all this. If you rely on your dog for any form of protection, realize that his ability to deliver diminishes as he ages. Given that it takes about 2 years to get a dog trained up, consider getting a new pup well before your current dog ages out. Hopefully, that pup will keep your current dog younger than his years.
    Last edited by hardlivin; November 11th, 2008 at 05:33 PM.

as an add-on, you older dog will show the pup what is expected also.
    the training of the pup will be easier because the older dog is helping to do that.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

Good post. I have had GSDs my whole life. I always get a new pup when my dogs hit 9 or 10. My current GSD is gonna be 5 and is just as full of energy as she was when she was 1. I know that this will diminish in her later years. It is a sad fact of life. I wish that dogs could live as long as people. They are selfless, loyal creatures that return the love and respect that they are given.

Here is an old picture. She still looks pretty much the same. Maybe a little more tan now. My 75 # baby:
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Administrator
    I've served as a foster "parent" for many GSD's raising them for future service as police dogs, and in turn have adopted some of those who didnt make the cut for whatever reason. I've had a few grace my home. They really are the best dog IMO for general household dog duties.

It is true that they start slowing down after 8 years or so, depending on the dog, its lifestyle etc. At the 2 year mark, is when I really start pounding the training in, I feel thats its super important to allow them to be puppies for at least the first 18 months or so. Beyond basic manners, they dont get any sort of training until then... but each dog is different, just like children.

Another benefit to getting a pup before your current dog really starts slowing down is that a good natured GSD truly enjoys having a pup around if you do it right. It will prolong your dogs good times, as well as bring your pup up to speed, sort of as mentor role.

I've found this to be true with any dog with a job, I love bird dogs as well. I've followed this line of thought with them as well.

Ideally, I have a GSD and a Britt in my home, but a recent string of bad dog luck has left me dogless right now. Even though my house is full of people, a house is kinda lonely without a dog or two.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Many people hate pitbulls, I've had 1 and still have another one. Both were and are excellent protective dogs.

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Many people hate pitbulls, I've had 1 and still have another one. Both were and are excellent protective dogs.
    I like pit bulls as pets too but on the whole they are either total push-overs (lovable slobs) or they tend to be animal-aggressive by nature. For a home protection dog I would prefer my animal be human-aggressive by nature. While I do agree that some may be exceptions to the rule their looks alone may produce the desired effect. As for me, I like my dog to be human-aggressive towards uninvited people.

Administrator
    Everytime you post those pictures, I think that they should be in some horror movie or video game; they're just evil looking.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Everytime you post those pictures, I think that they should be in some horror movie or video game; they're just evil looking.
    Note to self: Photograph Luna and the EBR in the same frame and forward to Sixto so he gets nightmares.

Administrator
    I got neighbors who were afraid of my wifes and kids little jack russel. I need to put one of those in my backyard, then they'll never come over.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Dogs are an important part of home protection but like anything else, not infallible.

We had an incident where someone broke the lock on our 6 foot high wood fence, got into our back yard and was observed wandering around back there. Neither of our two dogs (one of whom had a fairly bad reputation for aggression at least toward one neighbor) so much as barked. In fact, both were trying to get out of the yard through the garage when I confronted the perp. He took off running, right out the "locked" gate, and I did not chase him hard enough because I thought I had him trapped.

My big mistake, I didn't report the incident because at first I thought it was possibly an innocent incident. I didn't immediately realize that he had broken the lock to get in and give himself a way out.

My brains were on vacation that day :--- Obviously it doesn't take much IQ to figure out that the guy had either jumped the fence or broken the gate to get in, but somehow it didn't register; even after he ran. I thought it was just a teen trying to take a short cut.

To this day I don't know what he was up to. I think he wanted to get into the garage and ambush us (my wife) when she went in. It was pretty brazen. In broad daylight and with both cars parked in front of the house.

Quote Originally Posted by Siafu View Post
    Note to self: Photograph Luna and the EBR in the same frame and forward to Sixto so he gets nightmares.

what a monster!!!

here is mine:
    Attached Images

Here's my vicious attack kitty!

-Jeff-

Administrator
    I have a Cocker that hears everything.
    I can't count on her for any other defensive purpose than being a fantastic alert dog.
    She knows the instant that there is a person on our property and she will sound off.
    For me that is enough.
    I can take it from there.

There's my guard dog.

<----

She's getting to old to attack anyone, but she has a wicked bark. She has two barks, the first is a warning bark (someone walking down the street), the second is a danger bark when someone is on the property. She's not much of a attack dog, she's missing half of her teeth, but she is one hell of an alarm system.
    "I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals." - Sir Winston Churchill

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links