LEO's and being Stopped ????

This is a discussion on LEO's and being Stopped ???? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just got off an email from one of the FL members. I am driving from AZ to Florida to visit my mom and both her ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Just got off an email from one of the FL members.

I am driving from AZ to Florida to visit my mom and both her parents. Wife is scared to death of flying.

Maybe I watch too much C.O.P.S.

I am concern if I got stopped and told the officers that I carry and have a permit, I am concerned the whole car will be dismantled and they will put me in cuffs for their protection until the investigation of the stop is verified and completed.

So far the only state that I found out so far where I have to disclose that I am carrying is Alabama.

So, who has been stopped, then letting the LEO that you are carrying ?

What is their typical reaction ?

Am I overly worring and watching too many cop shows ????
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

I can't really say, but I've heard that FL is a pretty gun friendly state. Course you could always get THAT cop ya know? I think it's probably a good idea to disclose as it will come up on your info they pull up. From the police I've talked to they say they don't care that you are carrying they just want to know upfront. But everyone may not agree with me.
    Protection is a responsibility not just a right.

What kind of car do you drive? What do you look like? Why would you be stopped?

Although I don't live in a state (NC) where you will travel through here is my one and only experience. I was stopped in a license check and informed the LEO that I have a CCP (required by law in NC to inform) and let him know that I was not not armed at the time. His response: "That's too bad, why not?". I informed him that the guy I ride to work with does not have a CCP and I did not want get him in trouble with the "on or about one's person" caveat in NC. He was very friendly and offered advise about my concern. Very positive experience.

Since then I have found another way to carry concealed in a vehicle without putting any non CCP holders in my vehicle in jeopardy or having to reveal that I carry concealed.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    You're getting way ahead of yourself. In the first place, the police need probable cause to stop you. Obey the traffic laws and you'll be alright. The only way they can search your car is with a search warrant or with your consent. Otherwise they're limited to the passenger compartment and this [B]excludes[B]
    the glove box and console if they're locked.
    If you're not required to tell them you're armed, I wouldn't bring it up. You won't be handcuffed and there will be no investigation unless you do or say something that signals danger to them.
    I have been stopped in my home state of New Mexico with a loaded gun laying in the passenger seat and the officer (NMSP) said nor did anything.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

In texas you have to inform them,thays the law.sj

If your going through Texas you must notify them as well.

Just hand them your permit with your drivers license then they know your a permit holder and are carrying. Most of the time, they won't even make any deal about it.

Better yet, don't do anything that is going to get you stopped, then you don't have to worry about it.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

If you aren't breaking any laws and are polite, I can't imagine cops dismantling your car and hassling you. They know there are licensed carriers.
    Hardlivin,
    As to not carrying because your friend doesn't have a permit, DUH, so what? You are carrying, not your friend. By that logic you could never carry and be near other people.

Another thought....

If you are worried about them dismantling your vehicle for legally carrying concealed, what would you think they would do if you were to legally discharge your weapon in a very justifable act of self defense. After all, in their mind, you weren't supposed to have the firearm to begin with.

If you're legal, you're legal. If you're overly worried about their reaction to your legality, reconsider carrying the firearm.

I wouldn't worry at all about it if you have researched it and find that you are legal all the way from AZ to FL (man that is a haul). For further peace of mind, contact the AG in each state you will be travelling through.

Quote Originally Posted by anchor44 View Post
    If you aren't breaking any laws and are polite, I can't imagine cops dismantling your car and hassling you. They know there are licensed carriers.
    Hardlivin,
    As to not carrying because your friend doesn't have a permit, DUH, so what? You are carrying, not your friend. By that logic you could never carry and be near other people.
    Yea, I agree and you make a good point about being near other people. But the law reads in NC as "on or about one's person". The console box is about the passenger's person. I contacted the AG about this and was informed that is was left to the discretion of the LEO. Why take the chance? Just a simple relocation eliminates any misinterpretations.

you have to inform in LA also, just so u know
    "If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective."
    Ted Nugent

Alabama is not a "Must Notify" state. You can verify this at handgunlaw.us

Am I overly worring and watching too many cop shows ????
    Yes
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

From PUNCHO;

What kind of car do you drive? What do you look like? Why would you be stopped?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I drive a mini-van, will have wife and 2 kids in car, have a kid 18 and 15 plus a dog. I am a white middle age, 51 years old. Looks very consertive clean cut. I would say white-collar professional looking
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

Quote Originally Posted by mi2az View Post
    I drive a mini-van, will have wife and 2 kids in car, have a kid 18 and 15 plus a dog. I am a white middle age, 51 years old. Looks very conservative clean cut. I would say white-collar professional looking
    You won't have any problems in Florida if you drive at or below 80 mph. on the interstate. They profile on the interstate in Florida, with your description you won't have any trouble if pulled over. They will probably be more concerned with the family dog biting them.

CCW In vehicle

Some states you can not carry in, check them out.

Florida, you may carry your pistol to the car, and back home, no permit required, I have been stopped once in ten years, the old TRAFFIC sting trick, in Orlando, never even thought of the gun on the belt!

Got my ticket, went to the very informative class, paid my fine, reduced, watch that road now.

When you stop at rest areas with your family (and dog!) you had better be tooled up. The world is not always safe, any where.

I have a white beard, never had a problem with any of our terrific LEOs in Florida, they do a great job.

Safe trip.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links