Defensive Carry banner

LEO's and being Stopped ????

3K views 27 replies 23 participants last post by  RETSUPT99 
#1 ·
Just got off an email from one of the FL members.

I am driving from AZ to Florida to visit my mom and both her parents. Wife is scared to death of flying.

Maybe I watch too much C.O.P.S.

I am concern if I got stopped and told the officers that I carry and have a permit, I am concerned the whole car will be dismantled and they will put me in cuffs for their protection until the investigation of the stop is verified and completed.

So far the only state that I found out so far where I have to disclose that I am carrying is Alabama.

So, who has been stopped, then letting the LEO that you are carrying ?

What is their typical reaction ?

Am I overly worring and watching too many cop shows ????

#2 ·
I can't really say, but I've heard that FL is a pretty gun friendly state. Course you could always get THAT cop ya know? I think it's probably a good idea to disclose as it will come up on your info they pull up. From the police I've talked to they say they don't care that you are carrying they just want to know upfront. But everyone may not agree with me.

#24 ·
HMmmm lets see here. If your driving through a smal rural town.

Out of state tags = income $$
Driving left of center is a popular reason to stop someone in the area I live. Prove you wern't. :icon_neutral:

Believe me I live in a rural area. We do pressure out local cops to write tickets. Most of these towns only have one cop. They know up front not to mess with the townies if they want to keep their jobs.

Michael

#4 ·
Although I don't live in a state (NC) where you will travel through here is my one and only experience. I was stopped in a license check and informed the LEO that I have a CCP (required by law in NC to inform) and let him know that I was not not armed at the time. His response: "That's too bad, why not?". I informed him that the guy I ride to work with does not have a CCP and I did not want get him in trouble with the "on or about one's person" caveat in NC. He was very friendly and offered advise about my concern. Very positive experience.

Since then I have found another way to carry concealed in a vehicle without putting any non CCP holders in my vehicle in jeopardy or having to reveal that I carry concealed.

#5 ·
You're getting way ahead of yourself. In the first place, the police need probable cause to stop you. Obey the traffic laws and you'll be alright. The only way they can search your car is with a search warrant or with your consent. Otherwise they're limited to the passenger compartment and this excludes
the glove box and console if they're locked.
If you're not required to tell them you're armed, I wouldn't bring it up. You won't be handcuffed and there will be no investigation unless you do or say something that signals danger to them.
I have been stopped in my home state of New Mexico with a loaded gun laying in the passenger seat and the officer (NMSP) said nor did anything.

#21 ·
You're getting way ahead of yourself. In the first place, the police need probable cause to stop you.
Wrong!

You won't be handcuffed and there will be no investigation
Depends on how the LEO feels.

The bottom line is: There are no rules other than what that LEO wants to do. I would tell him you are carrying, just to start off on the right foot. Or, lock it in the trunk while you drive.

#7 ·
If your going through Texas you must notify them as well.

Just hand them your permit with your drivers license then they know your a permit holder and are carrying. Most of the time, they won't even make any deal about it.

Better yet, don't do anything that is going to get you stopped, then you don't have to worry about it.

#8 ·
If you aren't breaking any laws and are polite, I can't imagine cops dismantling your car and hassling you. They know there are licensed carriers.
Hardlivin,
As to not carrying because your friend doesn't have a permit, DUH, so what? You are carrying, not your friend. By that logic you could never carry and be near other people.

#9 ·
Another thought....

If you are worried about them dismantling your vehicle for legally carrying concealed, what would you think they would do if you were to legally discharge your weapon in a very justifable act of self defense. After all, in their mind, you weren't supposed to have the firearm to begin with.

If you're legal, you're legal. If you're overly worried about their reaction to your legality, reconsider carrying the firearm.

I wouldn't worry at all about it if you have researched it and find that you are legal all the way from AZ to FL (man that is a haul). For further peace of mind, contact the AG in each state you will be travelling through.

Yea, I agree and you make a good point about being near other people. But the law reads in NC as "on or about one's person". The console box is about the passenger's person. I contacted the AG about this and was informed that is was left to the discretion of the LEO. Why take the chance? Just a simple relocation eliminates any misinterpretations.

#13 ·
From PUNCHO;

What kind of car do you drive? What do you look like? Why would you be stopped?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I drive a mini-van, will have wife and 2 kids in car, have a kid 18 and 15 plus a dog. I am a white middle age, 51 years old. Looks very consertive clean cut. I would say white-collar professional looking

#14 ·
I drive a mini-van, will have wife and 2 kids in car, have a kid 18 and 15 plus a dog. I am a white middle age, 51 years old. Looks very conservative clean cut. I would say white-collar professional looking
You won't have any problems in Florida if you drive at or below 80 mph. on the interstate. They profile on the interstate in Florida, with your description you won't have any trouble if pulled over. They will probably be more concerned with the family dog biting them.:smile:

#15 ·
CCW In vehicle

Some states you can not carry in, check them out.

Florida, you may carry your pistol to the car, and back home, no permit required, I have been stopped once in ten years, the old TRAFFIC sting trick, in Orlando, never even thought of the gun on the belt!

Got my ticket, went to the very informative class, paid my fine, reduced, watch that road now.

When you stop at rest areas with your family (and dog!) you had better be tooled up. The world is not always safe, any where.

I have a white beard, never had a problem with any of our terrific LEOs in Florida, they do a great job.

Safe trip.

#16 ·
I travel through quite a few of the southeastern states. I have had my ccw permit for many years, and have never had to show it. Mainly I guess because I haven't been stopped for any reason. In fact in the state I live in (N.C.) I have never once had to show my ccw to anyone. I have been in stores, flea markets, and just about everywhere you can carry within the law. I was kind of hoping back years ago when I first got it someone would ask me just so I could show it. Anyways just find out what the laws are when traveling and abide by them, and you should be fine.

#18 · (Edited)
Stopped weeks ago for a burned out light. Handed CWL with DL to LEO. (How's that for acronyms?) No questions. Nice experience. Glad to be told about light (I hadn't noticed it was out). Warning ticket (fixed same day). Second time I disclosed CWL to a FL LEO; neither time was I asked if carrying or to disarm.

Although there is no obligation in FL to disclose unless asked, I would suggest being very forthright -- especially up in Jax. It's the reigning "murder capital of FL" for several years and some of those deputies are a bit nervous. Some of them come down to shoot at our club. They don't mind legal carry, but if you print w/o disclosure, they'll know it's a weapon and won't know it's legal.

Think about it ... they stopped you for not obeying the law, and now they know you're armed but not why. What would you assume if "a suspect is carrying a gun"?

Note: AZ license is only valid in FL if you are an AZ resident.

#19 ·
I don't know why the alarms just went off in my head but I assume it was my ignorant youth of smoking a lot of reefer. If in the event you're concerned about them finding drugs in my state (and I assume others) its an automatic felony and jail time if you're caught with so much as a gun and a roach. It doesn't matter if you have a permit or not. Also, this applies to unlabeled prescriptions if you can't prove they are yours and you've been prescribed the medication within 1 year of the date in question. I know this may be way out of line, so please don't take this as me accusing. However, if you've got a yourself, passenger or hitchhiker carry illegal substances not only will your car be taken apart but you'll sit in jail for at least 2 years.

#20 ·
I would not be carrying any illegal substances, I do not need the hassels as well I get drug tested anytime I get a new job. I am just an Computer guy but they have been drug testing me for the last 15 years for every new company. Its standard in the industry now.

#23 ·
one thing I do while traveling is carry a printed copy of the reciprocity agreement (and a printed copy of the laws) for the states I am going through with me so that I can verify to unsure LEO it is correct and I make sure to print them from the computer showing a state webpage name on the print out

#26 ·
I live in Ohio and am required to show CCL to LEO. Last month some chick wasn't paying attention and rear-ended me. When the officer arrived, I handed him my driver's license, insurance card, and CCL on top. The conversation went like this:

LEO: "Do you have it on you?"
Me: "Yes."

LEO: "Where is it?"
Me: "In my right front pocket."

LEO: "Okay, just don't put your hand in your pocket."
Me: "Okay."

LEO: "Thank you. You're one of the few people who has ever done that right."
Me: "No problem."

LEO: "What is it?"
Me: "Smith & Wesson 340 M&P."

LEO: "Nice."

#27 ·
I'll add something that happened yesterday...
I was in rush hour traffic and got stuck in an intersection when the light changed. Rather than block the intersection, I pulled onto the soft shoulder (in a Jeep Wrangler)... when traffic moved along, I rejoined.
About 500 ft later, my topless and door-less was now on the shoulder again with a Broward Sheriff walking up. As soon as he got to the back of the Jeep, I informed him of my CCW. He still approached the door and complimented me on the Jeep. I told him my wallet is in my right pocket, but my Glock is on the same side. He said ok, go ahead and pull up your shirt so he can see the Glock. I did, and reached for my wallet. I handed him my DL and CCW and left my hands on the wheel.
He asked what happened back at the intersection. I told him that I did not want to block the intersection so I pulled off the road and when traffic moved on, I pulled back in. He ran my info and handed me back my DL and CCW. He said from where he was in traffic, he thought I cut around the cars on the shoulder and complimented my courteous attitude and Jeep again and sent me on my way.
What I did not realize at the moment was the other officer standing off my passenger side blind spot (no passenger mirror when doors are off) and I think thats why he never disarmed me.
I sent an email to the BSO super about it... great experience... and its a blast driving with the doors off

#28 ·
:congrats::congrats::congrats:
Another...the way it should go...:hand10:
:congrats::congrats::congrats:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.