Traffic stop with multiple CCW owners in the car?

This is a discussion on Traffic stop with multiple CCW owners in the car? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Considering I am waiting on my CCW permit to come back, and multiple friends of mine are doing the same; I started to wonder. We ...

Considering I am waiting on my CCW permit to come back, and multiple friends of mine are doing the same; I started to wonder. We hang out a lot and we usually car pool if were all going somewhere. If we were stopped by the police how should we inform them that there are mutliple armed people in the vehicle? Lets assume that there are three of us. Does the driver inform the officer(s) that we are all armed?

And while im at it; what if you are the only occupant in the car that is armed but not driving, would you inform the officer or have the driver do it, (or is there something else you would do)?

Thanks!

When encountering LEO's I personally give the least amount of information required by law and answer all asked questions truthfully.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Hmmm. Not sure how I handle that one. About once a month a few of my business colleagues go to a cabin in the woods for a Friday afternoon offsite staff meeting. There is usually a couple of shotguns, one AR15, and at least 8 pistols. We all have permits. Wow, that would make for one interesting stop.

One of my concerns is if I'm riding in someone else's card while CCW'ing, and during a traffic stop the office asks if there are any weapons *in the car*. I'd have to interject that fact I'm carrying in front of people who have no idea that I am.

In FL, only speak if spoken to...then follow the law.
    One does not have to inform here in FL, but out of courtesy, I would inform the officer.
    If I were a passenger in a vehicle that was stopped, I would keep my mouth closed unless addressed by the LEO.

In MI, one must inform the officer if stopped, if I happened to be a passenger in a vehicle there, I would again keep my mouth closed unless addressed by the officer.

INAL...OMO

Stay armed...LEO's will speak up here...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

In MI, I was told only the driver should inform the LEO that they have a CCW, have a CC firearm, and only if they actually have a CC (does not matter if you have a CCW but don't have a CC firearm).

I was told this is not the case in all jurisdictions.

In addition, I was told that (in MI) if you were a passenger, best to just chill and stay silent unless asked questions. If you are asked if you have a firearm, or the LEO asks a general question, like are there any firearms in the vehicle (even if the question is addressed to the driver), then state something like, "I have a CCW permit and I am armed."

I was told this is not the case in all jurisdictions.

Disclaimer: But what do I know.

#1 - KNOW YOUR STATE LAWS! Some states require that permit holders are to inform a LEO when contact is made. Hazy gray area being a passenger, but depending on the mood of the LEO, if he finds out before anyone other than the driver is CC and was not informed...

If during a routine traffic stop, and a LEO asks if there are any weapons in the vehicle, you have bigger problems.

If you are CC and as far as you know, no one else is, and no one knows you do, I would hand the Permit and the Drivers License to the officer at the same time, make eye contact, and slightly shake your head in a "no" fashion.

Some of the members here keep a post it note on theirs that reads "Please be discrete, no one else knows I have this".
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

VIP Member
    Part of our concealed carry law in Louisiana:

Duties of Permittees
    The permit shall be retained by the permittee who shall immediately produce it upon the request of any law enforcement officer. Anyone who fails to do so shall be fined not more than one hundred dollars. Additionally, when any peace officer approaches a permittee in an official manner or with an identified purpose, the permittee shall:
    1. Notify the officer that he has a weapon on his person;
    2. Submit to a pat down;
    3. Allow the officer to temporarily disarm him.

Now apply this to your scenario of the traffic stop. BTW the leo will interpret the above to the satisfaction of his own safety. Personally I'd let him know that all your passengers are armed, and notify him in a manner that is tactful (NOT tactical )and non-threatening. The success of this traffic stop is going to hinge a great deal on the combination of your and the leo's cooperation/attitude/philosophy.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

When CC'ing as a passenger in MI, speak only when spoken to or if/when the question of weapons in the vehicle comes up. Lucky for me, the guy i carpool with also carries, so that takes any weirdness out. My close friends know and wouldn't be shocked either. When riding with others who may not know, i would try to indicate to the officer to keep things on the DL. Whether that works is up to them i guess.

Lead Moderator
    Best to research your states laws and consult a lawyer than trust the internet/ forums for legal answers.
    Depending on how it is interpreted , MI law could require the passenger to inform during a traffic stop. (personally I would inform, rather than have an officer find out later ...possibly causing you more hassle in the long run.)
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    I guess it would depend on how the LEO ask the question. If he ask me if I were armed, I would speak only for myself. If he asked if there were weapons in the vehicle, then I would have to answer accounting for all weapons I knew about. If I'm a passenger in the vehicle, I'll answer when spoken to.

The state laws I have read something to the effect that the interaction with the LEO must be in an official capacity. Technically, in a traffic stop he is dealing with the driver in a official capacity, not the passengers. Now once he ask the passengers a question, he is dealing with them in a official capacity, and if required he needs to be informed. OMO
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

passenger /inform leo

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Best to research your states laws and consult a lawyer than trust the internet/ forums for legal answers.
    Depending on how it is interpreted , MI law could require the passenger to inform during a traffic stop. (personally I would inform, rather than have an officer find out later ...possibly causing you more hassle in the long run.)
    my thoughts exactly, no big deal to me to inform. better up front
    then slammed onto the pavement or worse staring down the barrel
    of his weapon. easy come,easy go.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

Links