Illinois CCW Opinion Poll Results

This is a discussion on Illinois CCW Opinion Poll Results within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by CornstalkCop I can carry concealed in every state in the union...wish my Illinois folks could do the same...the homicides with phones in ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Illinois CCW Opinion Poll Results

Quote Originally Posted by CornstalkCop View Post
    I can carry concealed in every state in the union...wish my Illinois folks could do the same...the homicides with phones in their hands...I often wonder the outcome if that were a gun in their hands!
    Just how did you accomplish that? Just curious

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by chaosrob View Post
    Just how did you accomplish that? Just curious
    I believe he's a police officer in Illinois. Hence the name, CornstalkCop.

-Jeff-

Quote Originally Posted by BeefyBeefo View Post
    I believe he's a police officer in Illinois. Hence the name, CornstalkCop.

-Jeff-
    being a police officer does not grant you reciprocity with other states. Some honor, some do not, it is called professional courtesy. There were just some stl police officers arrested for illegally carrying their firearms in Il last week. I am a former Mo State Leo and this is covered quite well in the academy

being a police officer does not grant you reciprocity with other states. Some honor, some do not, it is called professional courtesy. There were just some stl police officers arrested for illegally carrying their firearms in Il last week. I am a former Mo State Leo and this is covered quite well in the academy
    I thought the Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act of 2004 allowed current and retired police officers to carry in any jurisdiction in the US. I guess I was mistaken.

-Jeff-

I thought the Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act of 2004 allowed current and retired police officers to carry in any jurisdiction in the US. I guess I was mistaken.

-Jeff-
    well I have been out since 97 so they may have made changes, but I am not sold on that as they just arrested the stl cops in il for that. Might have to do some digging. Thanks

well I have been out since 97 so they may have made changes, but I am not sold on that as they just arrested the stl cops in il for that. Might have to do some digging. Thanks
    If a person is covered by the LEOSA, then "notwithstanding any other provision of the law of any State or any political subdivision thereof," he or she may carry a concealed firearm in any state or political subdivision thereof. See Title 18, USC, Section 921, which defines "state" to also include the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico and U.S. Possessions. Thus, the LEOSA-qualified person does not generally require a state-issued permit for carrying concealed firearms.

However, there are two types of state laws that are not overridden by the federal law, these being "the laws of any State that (1) permit private persons or entities to prohibit or restrict the possession of concealed firearms on their property; or (2) prohibit or restrict the possession of firearms on any State or local government property, installation, building, base, or park." This does not mean that LEOSA-qualified persons are prohibited from carrying concealed firearms in such areas, but only that they must obey whatever state laws apply on those two points. They are free to disregard all other state and local laws that govern the carrying of concealed firearms.
    Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Are you sure those officers in IL weren't arrested for something else? Do you have a link or an article referencing the arrest with details? Just curious.

-Jeff-

Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Are you sure those officers in IL weren't arrested for something else? Do you have a link or an article referencing the arrest with details? Just curious.

-Jeff-
    It appears that you were right, and the article was wrong, as was I. Glad to hear that the police finally have something working for them now. Thanks for straightening me out

[QUOTE=BeefyBeefo;911275
    -Jeff-[/QUOTE]
    They weren't arrested for carrying a concealed firearm in IL. There's a whole lot more to it. Shooting at a bar during a fight. 2 off duty officers shot, one admits he fired his gun but doesn't remember who or what he was shooting at. The second off duty officer was shot by responding officers when he shot an uninvolved 3rd person, critically wounding the 3rd person.
    Gee, who would have thought. Alcohol was involved. Here's a short news clip of it...
    PONTOON BEACH -- The probationary St. Louis police officer who is the subject of an Illinois State Police investigation into a shooting has been dismissed from the force.
    Bryan Pour, 28, was told he was dismissed from St. Louis Metropolitan Police Department on Monday afternoon, said his attorney, Albert Watkins.
    Pour was taken yesterday from Illinois State Police headquarters in Collinsville, where he had been held since shortly after the shooting at 1 a.m. Sunday at Mac and Mick's Bar and Grill in Pontoon Beach. He was treated for a head injury at Anderson Hospital in Maryville. He was then taken to jail while prosecutors in the office of Madison County State's Attorney William Mudge reviewed a preliminary police investigative report.
    Watkins told prosecutors that his client did not represent a flight risk. Pour was released. Prosecutors said Monday that they would take the matter before a grand jury within a few weeks.
    State Police Capt. Mark Bramlett, who is leading the investigation, said Mudge has asked for more information that Bramlett said will be quickly provided.
    State police presented the preliminary results of the investigation Monday to the state's attorney's office.
    Witness accounts vary, but it appears:
    -About 1 a.m. Sunday a melee broke out in the bar's parking lot. Pour claims he was jumped by bar patrons and admits firing his weapon several times but doesn't recall at what, Watkins has said.
    -Jeff Bladdick, 25, of Granite City, was struck once in the chest and was listed in stable but critical condition at St. Louis University Hospital. A close relative has said Bladdick was placed in an induced coma and had a bullet lodged between his lung and heart.
    Moments later, Pontoon Beach officers, responding to a 911 call, showed up. At that time, a Pontoon Beach officer shot an armed, off-duty St. Louis police officer that Watkins identified as Christopher Hantak, 23. Hantak was listed in critical condition at the same hospital. A hospital spokesman would not release updated conditions for either man Tuesday.
    Hantak graduated from the police academy in July.
    Police investigators have released only very basic information.
    Watkins said he is certain that four or five St. Louis police officers attended a wedding reception at the bar for one of their fellow officers, and that two of them left at one point. Pour was attacked in the parking lot, Watkins said.
    "My client believes he discharged his weapon a number of times," after he was jumped by unknown assailants, Watkins said.
    "There was an assertion that there was a young man from the St. Louis city department, not my client, who had talked to some young ladies at the bar and evidently irritated some men at the bar," Watkins said, "We have allegations that my client's weapon was not the actual weapon that struck the individual who was shot. But rather it was a round that was shot by the St. Louis officer, who was in turn shot by the Pontoon Beach officer. We have contradictory statements about what happened when the Pontoon Beach officer arrived."
    It appeared the Bladdick was trying to come to Pour's aid, Watkins said.
    Despite the number of shots his client admits he fired, Watkins said another St. Louis officer may have fired the shot that struck Bladdick.
    "That's what we have been told," he said.
    If the bullet lodged near Bladdick's heart cannot be removed because it would endanger Bladdick's life, Watkins said proving or disproving an allegation that Pour was the shooter "will be difficult."
    The St. Louis Metropolitan Police Department released a statement Sunday stating two officers were placed on administrative leave after the shooting.

----------------------------

LEOSA allows current LEOs and qualified retired LEOs to carry in every state, territory, and possession of the US. It was signed into law in July 2004. Very few restrictions. Private persons/entities can prohibit the officers from carrying on their property. Governmental agencies can prohibit carrying on governmental property.
    Here's a link to the statute:
    http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-...=f:publ277.108

IL was one of the first states to fully implement LEOSA for retired officers. Several other states have used IL's program as the basis for their programs. Springfield PD was one of the first depts in the nation to get their program running for their retired officers.
    Even prior to LEOSA being enacted IL had a similar bill in the legislature awaiting action. Every indication was the bill was going to pass almost without exception and the governor had indicated he would sign it as soon as it passed. The state legislature was on recess and was to vote on the bill when they returned from recess. While on recess Congress passed LEOSA. When the legislature came back in session since LEOSA had passed nationally the state bill was pulled.
    183 FBINA

Quote Originally Posted by SatCong View Post
    That's why I left Illinois over four years ago.
    Left 22 years ago. Smartest thing I ever did.

Quote Originally Posted by ispcapt View Post
    They weren't arrested for carrying a concealed firearm in IL. There's a whole lot more to it. Shooting at a bar during a fight. 2 off duty officers shot, one admits he fired his gun but doesn't remember who or what he was shooting at. The second off duty officer was shot by responding officers when he shot an uninvolved 3rd person, critically wounding the 3rd person.
    Gee, who would have thought. Alcohol was involved. Here's a short news clip of it...
    PONTOON BEACH -- The probationary St. Louis police officer who is the subject of an Illinois State Police investigation into a shooting has been dismissed from the force.
    Bryan Pour, 28, was told he was dismissed from St. Louis Metropolitan Police Department on Monday afternoon, said his attorney, Albert Watkins.
    Pour was taken yesterday from Illinois State Police headquarters in Collinsville, where he had been held since shortly after the shooting at 1 a.m. Sunday at Mac and Mick's Bar and Grill in Pontoon Beach. He was treated for a head injury at Anderson Hospital in Maryville. He was then taken to jail while prosecutors in the office of Madison County State's Attorney William Mudge reviewed a preliminary police investigative report.
    Watkins told prosecutors that his client did not represent a flight risk. Pour was released. Prosecutors said Monday that they would take the matter before a grand jury within a few weeks.
    State Police Capt. Mark Bramlett, who is leading the investigation, said Mudge has asked for more information that Bramlett said will be quickly provided.
    State police presented the preliminary results of the investigation Monday to the state's attorney's office.
    Witness accounts vary, but it appears:
    -About 1 a.m. Sunday a melee broke out in the bar's parking lot. Pour claims he was jumped by bar patrons and admits firing his weapon several times but doesn't recall at what, Watkins has said.
    -Jeff Bladdick, 25, of Granite City, was struck once in the chest and was listed in stable but critical condition at St. Louis University Hospital. A close relative has said Bladdick was placed in an induced coma and had a bullet lodged between his lung and heart.
    Moments later, Pontoon Beach officers, responding to a 911 call, showed up. At that time, a Pontoon Beach officer shot an armed, off-duty St. Louis police officer that Watkins identified as Christopher Hantak, 23. Hantak was listed in critical condition at the same hospital. A hospital spokesman would not release updated conditions for either man Tuesday.
    Hantak graduated from the police academy in July.
    Police investigators have released only very basic information.
    Watkins said he is certain that four or five St. Louis police officers attended a wedding reception at the bar for one of their fellow officers, and that two of them left at one point. Pour was attacked in the parking lot, Watkins said.
    "My client believes he discharged his weapon a number of times," after he was jumped by unknown assailants, Watkins said.
    "There was an assertion that there was a young man from the St. Louis city department, not my client, who had talked to some young ladies at the bar and evidently irritated some men at the bar," Watkins said, "We have allegations that my client's weapon was not the actual weapon that struck the individual who was shot. But rather it was a round that was shot by the St. Louis officer, who was in turn shot by the Pontoon Beach officer. We have contradictory statements about what happened when the Pontoon Beach officer arrived."
    It appeared the Bladdick was trying to come to Pour's aid, Watkins said.
    Despite the number of shots his client admits he fired, Watkins said another St. Louis officer may have fired the shot that struck Bladdick.
    "That's what we have been told," he said.
    If the bullet lodged near Bladdick's heart cannot be removed because it would endanger Bladdick's life, Watkins said proving or disproving an allegation that Pour was the shooter "will be difficult."
    The St. Louis Metropolitan Police Department released a statement Sunday stating two officers were placed on administrative leave after the shooting.

----------------------------

LEOSA allows current LEOs and qualified retired LEOs to carry in every state, territory, and possession of the US. It was signed into law in July 2004. Very few restrictions. Private persons/entities can prohibit the officers from carrying on their property. Governmental agencies can prohibit carrying on governmental property.
    Here's a link to the statute:
    http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-...=f:publ277.108

IL was one of the first states to fully implement LEOSA for retired officers. Several other states have used IL's program as the basis for their programs. Springfield PD was one of the first depts in the nation to get their program running for their retired officers.
    Even prior to LEOSA being enacted IL had a similar bill in the legislature awaiting action. Every indication was the bill was going to pass almost without exception and the governor had indicated he would sign it as soon as it passed. The state legislature was on recess and was to vote on the bill when they returned from recess. While on recess Congress passed LEOSA. When the legislature came back in session since LEOSA had passed nationally the state bill was pulled.
    Same case I was talking about, but different article. It may have stemmed from them carrying in a bar, but I cannot find the original article

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links