Screwed up/ was made

This is a discussion on Screwed up/ was made within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Where did it say the deputy took posession of t he gun? He simply asked to see the ccw. As for getting made, so what. ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Screwed up/ was made

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    Where did it say the deputy took posession of t he gun? He simply asked to see the ccw.
    As for getting made, so what. It happens. no harm no foul.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by AirForceShooter View Post
    Where did it say the deputy took posession of t he gun? He simply asked to see the ccw.

AFS
    The op stated that the Deputy stated that he had relieved persons of their pistols for not having their permit.

See Arkansas Code:

5-73-315. Possession of license — Identification of licensee.

(a) Any licensee possessing a valid license issued pursuant to this subchapter may carry a concealed handgun.

(b) The licensee shall:

(1) Carry the license, together with valid identification, at any time when the licensee is carrying a concealed handgun; and

(2) Display both the license and proper identification upon demand by a law enforcement officer.

History. Acts 1995, No. 411, 2; 1995, No. 419, 2; 2007, No. 827, 102.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    I would like to hope that anyone handing over their firearm would check for credentials and get a receipt. Some states require the CHL, LTCF, insert TLA for carry permit here_____ to keep the card on their person while carrying concealed. If they do not have their permit on their person while concealing, they may be in violation of the law.
    Yeah I would hope so too, but even if the guy had his badge or something I think I would feel more comfortable by calling in somebody who was on duty ya know? Just the way I feel about it.

Quote Originally Posted by AirForceShooter View Post

AFS
    Um in his post he said he had taken several guns from people who didnt have their CCL on them while carrying. And since he was off duty it seems like he is checking all the time.
    Protection is a responsibility not just a right.

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I dont think I'd be bothering people if I were off duty. The last thing I'd want is to deal with some dude and his pistol provided he wasnt doing anything horrid with it. If I end up at the grocery store on my day off, I just want to get my stuff and get out of Dodge.
    Amen on that.........
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Sounds like the off-duty didn't make too big a deal of it. Had that happened to me w/out my permit i think i would have asked to have the local PD come in to make things official. My permits goes w/ me everywhere, even when i'm not carrying. Hoping i don't run into that situation, but like said above, it happens.
    Sometimes i wonder if i'm checking to make sure i'm concealed too much. I try to be sly about it, but wonder if anyone notices me touching my right hip alot. Guess it could be interpreted as a cell phone or leatherman, especially since the barrel isn't visible in the holster if just the bottom peeks out.

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    There's a convenience store near my daughters house that sells not only ammo but sells guns too.
    ATF - Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms - it should be a convenience store rather than a government agency.

So Packer, did you ask him to see his credentials (or did he show them first) before giving him yours? I try to be a trusting guy, but would be very suspicious of anyone asking for my CCW without showing me his badge.... Then, I'd be REAL nice.

VIP Member
    If I'm outside the house I'm carrying my wallet, so I know I have my permit, as well as my DL and Ret. Mil ID. As far as showing someone who tells me they are LEO my permit. First they will have to prove to me they are LEO. Badge and department issued credentials. To confiscate my weapon, they will have to call in someone who is on duty. Once an on duty LEO arrives and requests my weapon, I will hand it over and get a receipt for it.

I wonder how long this guy has been a LEO, was he a newbee, or maybe one who loves the power trip his badge gives him? A newbee I can understand and forgive. The guy who's on the power trip, no excuses for him.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Slabsides45 View Post
    So Packer, did you ask him to see his credentials (or did he show them first) before giving him yours? I try to be a trusting guy, but would be very suspicious of anyone asking for my CCW without showing me his badge.... Then, I'd be REAL nice.
    I love that! I'll show you mine if you show me yours first!

So Packer, did you ask him to see his credentials (or did he show them first) before giving him yours?
    Ditto. My CHL has my home address on it. I won't hand it over for inspection to anyone other than those authorized. (I'm not so trusting.)

Am assuming the off-duty deputy properly identified himself.

Did he identify himself, via badge/credentials? Or, could he have been anyone?
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Open carry

Quote Originally Posted by celticredneck View Post
    I guess I'm still paranoid about it, but I'm constantly checking to be sure my weapon is covered, even though I live in an "open carry state".
    Be careful about this; "a weapon is considered to be concealed at any time it is placed in a location as to be within reach of the person, without the person being required to make an overt act to retrieve such weapon, when such weapon is hidden from common observation." Having your gun show by mistake when concealed is not an open carry! Always have your permit on you.
    I'm your worst nightmare, a liberal with a gun.

It has been years since I retrieved something from higher than shoulder height with my strong side arm while out of the house.

If indeed he was a deputy (with ID), he seems to have treated you fairly.

I like the stores in AR...Chips, frozen pizza, TP, and ammo?...

Stay armed...keep it covered...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Musketeer View Post
    It has been years since I retrieved something from higher than shoulder height with my strong side arm while out of the house.
    Amen! I really hate to wear a shirt as a cover garment, the wind blows it open, and you can never be sure when it might reveal that which you don't want revealed, and like you I never reach for anything that is above my head with my strong side hand. I also try to never carry anything in my strong side hand. If it's cold outside, I wear a long jacket to cover my CCW. If it's not that cold, I usually wear sweats, and a Smart Carry. Summer wear, shorts and T, with the Smart Carry. Smart Carry works for me because of the way I dress, not the other way around.
    Y'all be safe now, ya hear!

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
    Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    +1

To the OP: Get used to reaching for things with your weak hand. Also take a moment to think about what is going to happen (to your shirt) before you reach up or bend down.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links