Screwed up/ was made

This is a discussion on Screwed up/ was made within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here in the West Vally of Phoenix, My wife and I went to the little store that is known for good burgers, oh and they ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Screwed up/ was made

Here in the West Vally of Phoenix, My wife and I went to the little store that is known for good burgers, oh and they sell bait ,tackel and ammo as well.
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

2. Remove Ads

"I was at our local grocery store in the sporting goods section"

I'm sorry I got confused and stopped reading after this. My head hurts now. What happened?
    -Biker

Gees, I open carry and have talked to many police officers in stores while OC and they've never said a thing about it. I've been pulled over with rounds filling my floorboard (ammo day) and wasn't asked anything about it.

Its really screwy for me to hear some of the stuff you guys go through in your states. I've carried for a while now and never get asked anything about it by the police or by average Joe citizen. I'm a tall guy too, I already stick out for being 6'4". I doubt people are just not seeing it.

If it was someone in plain clothes claiming to be an officer without a badge their up... poo creek in my state. We had a string of false police pulling women over and raping them. So if they're not in uniform, marked car or have a badge you don't even have to acknowledge them. Without uniform, I wouldn't even answer a question here, they'd have to call it in and get an on duty officer.

For my safety and those around me, that officer wouldn't have gotten very far without showing who he was and why he's asking. I don't live in a nanny state though and I guess thats a big difference. In my mind it could have been joe blow trying to get a firearm to rob the store. I know one thing for sure, a plain clothes officer with no badge wouldn't want to try to take my sidearm.

I would encourage all of you to look up your states statutory powers of arrest and find out when an officer, or someone claiming to be an officer has a right to even ask you a question. this isn't an issue about being militant, this is an issue of granting the state more rights than they have over a citizen and someone claiming to be a cop who may or may not be.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ImChad View Post
    I would encourage all of you to look up your states statutory powers of arrest and find out when an officer, or someone claiming to be an officer has a right to even ask you a question. this isn't an issue about being militant, this is an issue of granting the state more rights than they have over a citizen and someone claiming to be a cop who may or may not be.
    They always have the right to ask questions and you always have the right to answer or not. Its the same way in all 50 states. ( for now anyway )
    "Just blame Sixto"

Law has no boundries/ I was in my auto parts store in the dairy section & aww forgot

being made

Quote Originally Posted by Glock23MI View Post
    Sounds like the off-duty didn't make too big a deal of it. Had that happened to me w/out my permit i think i would have asked to have the local PD come in to make things official. My permits goes w/ me everywhere, even when i'm not carrying. Hoping i don't run into that situation, but like said above, it happens.
    Sometimes i wonder if i'm checking to make sure i'm concealed too much. I try to be sly about it, but wonder if anyone notices me touching my right hip alot. Guess it could be interpreted as a cell phone or leatherman, especially since the barrel isn't visible in the holster if just the bottom peeks out.
    most people don't notice let alone really care. as posted mant times
    before all the electroic gadgits (phones,mp3's and so on) don't
    pay that much attention. my wife does'nt know unless she ask's
    me if i'm carrying.sometimes i even tell her no if i am carrying
    at the time. everyone prints or shows from time to time.
    don't sweat the small stuff. probbily worst to happen is
    management could ask you to leave and in the case,fine because
    i really did'nt want to be there in the first place.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

Quote Originally Posted by ArPacker View Post
    Well I guess it's time to look for a better cover shirt, I was at our local grocery store in the sporting goods section when IT happened. As I said here I was shopping for more ammo, as I was reaching to the back of the top shelf for hte last couple of boxes of ammo my shirt rode up allowing all to see my handgun!!
    There just happened to be an off duty deputy there who witnessed it, after I put my ammo in the shoping basket he asked if I had my CCW to which I replyed yes. He asked to see it telling me he has taken 3 guns from people who were carring without their permit on them. All in all I guess it was a pretty good reminder to always make sure that it is well concealed and can not be seen when reaching up for something.

In Fl's statute (see below) I don't see where they have the authority to confiscate your weapon if you have forgotten your permit, lost your wallet, etc.. There is 25.00 admin, non-criminal fee for such. It seems to issue such a citation the LEO would had to have called you in. Which in this case he knows your legal but don't have your license. Your "ticket" should be proof he ran you until you get the permit back in hand. Of course, however, I endeavor to always have my license but we are human.

790.06 License to carry concealed weapon or firearm.--

1(1) The Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services is authorized to issue licenses to carry concealed weapons or concealed firearms to persons qualified as provided in this section. Each such license must bear a color photograph of the licensee. For the purposes of this section, concealed weapons or concealed firearms are defined as a handgun, electronic weapon or device, tear gas gun, knife, or billie, but the term does not include a machine gun as defined in s. 790.001(9). Such licenses shall be valid throughout the state for a period of 7 years from the date of issuance. Any person in compliance with the terms of such license may carry a concealed weapon or concealed firearm notwithstanding the provisions of s. 790.01. The licensee must carry the license, together with valid identification, at all times in which the licensee is in actual possession of a concealed weapon or firearm and must display both the license and proper identification upon demand by a law enforcement officer. Violations of the provisions of this subsection shall constitute a noncriminal violation with a penalty of $25, payable to the clerk of the court.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

JD
    Administrator
    rolyat63,

Every state is different, your FL laws are different than Arkansas' laws.

While what you posted re Florida's laws is well and good, it has nothing to do with a Deputy in AR confiscating (for lack of complete explanation of what occurred on the previous occasions) guns from people in Arkansas...

Provided that the OP's location listed in his profile is where this occurred.

Either way, it's good to see what other states do have on the books.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    rolyat63,

Every state is different, your FL laws are different than Arkansas' laws.

While what you posted re Florida's laws is well and good, it has nothing to do with a Deputy in AR confiscating (for lack of complete explanation of what occurred on the previous occasions) guns from people in Arkansas...

Provided that the OP's location listed in his profile is where this occurred.

Either way, it's good to see what other states do have on the books.

In Texas if you're carrying concealed then you must have your permit on you .
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

ky works like FL as my understanding just a $25 citation.

i had an off duty officer confront me because i bent over and my 1911 printed, he asked to see my permit. i told him to produce a badge or some sort of leo ID then i would show it to him. he did, so i did. he didnt have any hard feelings toward it
    U/315
    KY Concealed Carry Instructor
    Taser X2/X26 Instructor
    "It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to…[he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any (life-threatening) attack made upon him with a deadly weapon…." Gibson v. KY, 34SW936(Ky.1931)

Why do people carry without keeping their license on their person?

I store all of my licenses right behind my motor vehicle operators license in my wallet which always is on my person, along with my carry arm.
    One goes with the other...Keys to wallet as carry arm to spare magazine.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler11B View Post
    i had an off duty officer confront me because i bent over and my 1911 printed, he asked to see my permit. i told him to produce a badge or some sort of leo ID then i would show it to him. he did, so i did. he didnt have any hard feelings toward it
    I would have done the samething, show me proof you are a LEO?

Quote Originally Posted by ArPacker View Post
    he asked if I had my CCW to which I replyed yes.
    A couple have asked, but I didn't read far enough to see an answer of whether you asked to see his credentials. If someone came up to me here in Arkansas and asked if I had a CCW I would be suspect right away, since Arkansas doesn't issue a CCW. It's a CHL here (Concealed Handgun License) and I would expect a LEO to know that.

Bummer about being made. You'll learn from the experience, glad it was relatively pain free.

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    There's a convenience store near my daughters house that sells not only ammo but sells guns too.
    At first I said to myself, naaah...this guy must be kidding. Then I remembered that I live in Louisiana too. Although I have not seen ammo at my local convenience store, I would not be surprised if you statement was actually true.
    Last edited by JD; November 13th, 2008 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Fixed quote tags.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links