Screwed up/ was made

This is a discussion on Screwed up/ was made within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Janq Why do people carry without keeping their license on their person? I store all of my licenses right behind my motor ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Screwed up/ was made

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Why do people carry without keeping their license on their person?

I store all of my licenses right behind my motor vehicle operators license in my wallet which always is on my person, along with my carry arm.
    One goes with the other...Keys to wallet as carry arm to spare magazine.

- Janq
    +1 on that! I don't bend over much in public without a jacket on, but I have been known to reach up for stuff. Since I carry in a Tucker Tx Heritage, and tuck it in, I don't show overtly, though a print might briefly be there. I worry more about the guy behind me in line seeing my firearms permit when I remove my DL than I do printing or being made.

2. Remove Ads

PM
    As long as I leave the hosue with the billfold I have the permit. Now, I have left the house for work without the billfold on more than one occation --- nice thing (in this case) I can not carry at work so . . .

Kansas requires that I have ID and permit on my person if I have a concealed handgun on my person.

Quote Originally Posted by jtracey View Post
    Be careful about this; "a weapon is considered to be concealed at any time it is placed in a location as to be within reach of the person, without the person being required to make an overt act to retrieve such weapon, when such weapon is hidden from common observation." Having your gun show by mistake when concealed is not an open carry! Always have your permit on you.
    He should always have his permit, but some states don't allow for a gun to be shown at all. So I think he's just grateful that it's ok if his does show by mistake because his state allows open carry.
    Protection is a responsibility not just a right.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    and we dont let them shoot 12 guages until they can get on a bus by themselves.

Not kidding.
    How 'bout the .410?
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

I think the officer did right (and I hope he showed an ID ;-) ). All it came down to was a nice reminder to be more careful. And well, if it results in some guys getting arrested for carrying without license: even better.

In Florida, you have to have your permit on you when you carry. Forgetting your permit at home carries only a minor fine (I think $50. it is just a tricket not even a misdemeanor). However, you are typically arrested until this is sorted out.
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulJ View Post
    In Florida, you have to have your permit on you when you carry. Forgetting your permit at home carries only a minor fine (I think $50. it is just a tricket not even a misdemeanor). However, you are typically arrested until this is sorted out.
    Arrested or merely detained pending investigation (aka calling in for a lookup)? Detained seems more likely.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    +1

To the OP: Get used to reaching for things with your weak hand. Also take a moment to think about what is going to happen (to your shirt) before you reach up or bend down.
    Really good advice !! I never reach with my gun hand.

Quote Originally Posted by jtracey View Post
    Be careful about this; "a weapon is considered to be concealed at any time it is placed in a location as to be within reach of the person, without the person being required to make an overt act to retrieve such weapon, when such weapon is hidden from common observation." Having your gun show by mistake when concealed is not an open carry! Always have your permit on you.
    I always have it. My driver's license, my handicap parking permit and my concealed carry permit are in a little clear card holder that the American Legion sent to me.

VIP Member
    SIXTO has it right on....

Quote Originally Posted by Tye_Defender View Post
    A couple have asked, but I didn't read far enough to see an answer of whether you asked to see his credentials. If someone came up to me here in Arkansas and asked if I had a CCW I would be suspect right away, since Arkansas doesn't issue a CCW. It's a CHL here (Concealed Handgun License) and I would expect a LEO to know that.

Bummer about being made. You'll learn from the experience, glad it was relatively pain free.
    His exact words were" do you have you concealed carry permit"
    Answer: yes sir
    Him: can I see it please"
    (as he was producing his leo creditenals)
    I live in a small town, worked with the Sheriff Department for about a year, so I knew who he was anyway.
    after seeing my name on the permit and DL he realized that he knew me. He said he didn't recognize me at first. (it's been a while and I but on some weight)
    Luke 22:36 Jesus says that if his disciples do not have a sword, they should sell their cloak and buy a sword.

Quote Originally Posted by ArPacker View Post
    Well I guess it's time to look for a better cover shirt, I was at our local grocery store in the sporting goods section when IT happened. As I said here I was shopping for more ammo, as I was reaching to the back of the top shelf for hte last couple of boxes of ammo my shirt rode up allowing all to see my handgun!!
    There just happened to be an off duty deputy there who witnessed it, after I put my ammo in the shoping basket he asked if I had my CCW to which I replyed yes. He asked to see it telling me he has taken 3 guns from people who were carring without their permit on them. All in all I guess it was a pretty good reminder to always make sure that it is well concealed and can not be seen when reaching up for something.
    I sure hope you asked to see his credentials? And not just a badge. A badge don't mean kaka without credentials.

Question is...what has the deputy been doing with the guns he's taken from folks without their CHL? If there's some place I can find them cheap, I want to know! Personally, I think the deputy should be able to keep them as his own property. Concealed should be the eleventh commandment if you ask me. Everyone makes mistakes, but when mistakes are made, it's usually due to those who make them not being aware. Live, eat, sleep, breathe, act concealed if it's what you do. Never let your position be compromised by yourself or others no matter what. It's not a goal to work toward, it's part of your life!

At the bottom

Quote Originally Posted by Slabsides45 View Post
    +1 on that! I don't bend over much in public without a jacket on, but I have been known to reach up for stuff. Since I carry in a Tucker Tx Heritage, and tuck it in, I don't show overtly, though a print might briefly be there. I worry more about the guy behind me in line seeing my firearms permit when I remove my DL than I do printing or being made.
    I don't worry about that as my driver's license is behind my retired military id. The CHL (concealed handgun license, as it is called in Michigan even tho a lot of people, police also refer to it as CCW) is at the bottom of the stack.
    Eric

EM1(SS) Retired

For freedom is never free someone else just picks up tab.

Kimber Custom II
    Kimber Eclips Pro II
    Marlin Camp Rifle .45acp

A 9mm may expand but a .45acp won't shrink

Remember there are only two types of Ships in the Navy, SUBMARINES and Targets!

Quote Originally Posted by ICTsnub View Post
    Your grocery store sells ammo? No more Arkansas jokes from me! Maybe time to think about relocating.
    +1 on that SNUB

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links