Carry while cycling - Page 2

Carry while cycling

This is a discussion on Carry while cycling within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been a very avid cyclist for over 15 years (more than half my life!) If you're cycling seriously, you wouldn't want to wear baggy ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I've been a very avid cyclist for over 15 years (more than half my life!) If you're cycling seriously, you wouldn't want to wear baggy shorts, and you definitely wouldn't want the weight in your shorts pocket. A serious cyclist would be wearing cycling shorts and a jersey, not much room for carry. I usually don't carry a gun while cycling (I know, it's a sin) I do carry pepper spray but when I know I'm going to be in a remote area, I carry a NAA mini in my jersey pocket, at least it's something, and to tell the truth, the main reason I carry is for 4 legged predators, I can get away from a 2 legged predator alot easier than a dog or mountain lion.

When I ride a bike, It IS serious, an ambulance may have to be called at any time...
    simplyrugged.com

Get Trained Go Armed.

“Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory there is no survival.”
    Winston Churchill

I ride a recumbent (a`Bent Basset??), and carry a 1911 compact in a fanny pack worn across my belly. The biggest problem I've had with carrying and cycling is the weight of the weapon and it's bouncing around as I pedal.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by RobL
    When I ride a bike, It IS serious, an ambulance may have to be called at any time...
    Amen, brother. I ride the lead slot for team Hugh Jass. EMS could be needed at any time.

Matt

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson

I'll probably ride that way most of the time, except for my around the neighborhood route that passes across a couple school lots.

Matt
    Is "passing" a school on the roadway, considered too close for your state's laws????

You're not "on" school grounds. (Unless of course, you do ride on school grounds.)

I don't think you'd get in trouble if you're on the road, riding. I mean, you're past the school in less than a minute.
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jarhead79
    Is "passing" a school on the roadway, considered too close for your state's laws????

You're not "on" school grounds. (Unless of course, you do ride on school grounds.)

I don't think you'd get in trouble if you're on the road, riding. I mean, you're past the school in less than a minute.
    One of the bike paths near the house actually crosses two school lots.

Riding by is no big deal.

Matt

Experienced cycligst - new CCW!

Hi all,

I would say a few things would need to be considered while riding a bicycle/packing heat...

You will not be riding/firing your weapon simultaneously...you likely won't be able to draw and ride...so, something you can access relatively quickly (maybe not as quick as a holster?) once you've stopped and have both feet on the ground. I'm thinking a fanny pack because if I've stopped riding, feet on the ground, I can easily spin the pack around and have the weapon out pretty fast.

I commute regularly to work by bike. The path I ride on is relatively safe but a number of joggers have been attacked in the past couple of years and there has been once murder in the last year. Needless to say, riding at dawn/dusk would be the perfect time to be armed (or any other time for that matter!). Unfortunately for me, I work in Wash. DC with the most restrictive gun laws in the country and cannot carry into work. That said, plenty of my weekend rides in Virginia I COULD carry on. I think a Camelbak or fanny pack would work well. Mostly for, if you flat, you pull over to change it and can have the pack easily accessible in case someone decides to stop and "help". There are also a number of handlebar bags, behind the seat bags, etc. that would work.

I have never had an incident where I absolutely needed my firearm while riding, although I have been intentionally swerved at in traffic twice and have had bottles thrown at myself or a riding partner 5 or 6 times. Both of the swerving incidents happened fast with no time to stop and draw, even if I was armed. I have made a strong habit of reading every license plate that passes me - this allowed me, in both cases, to immediately dial police to report the incident.

The only other thing that comes to mind for myself is that I will sweat through a fanny pack or camelbak after a few hours of riding. I'd need a weapon with a very durable finish...

Let me just say too - wear a helmet! You can't draw and fire with a split skull!

Safe riding - Chris

I have been a serious bicyclist for over 30 years now. These days, I primarily ride a mountain bike, both on trails and on suburban/rural roads. On the bike, a SP-101 rides in the handlebar bag. When I am off the bike, it comes along with me in a fanny pack that I keep in my rack trunk. Most of my rides, I am wearing shorts/tights, a jersey and a Hi-Viz Camelbak, so I really have no way to carry on my body.

I have had one situation, in which I am convinced that CCW on a bicycle saved my life. It was also the first and only time in my life I ever actually drawn down on someone. Afterwards, I sat by the side of the road and shook for 15 minutes from the adrenaline dump.

Regards,

MillCreek
    Snohomish County, Washington USA

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links