Carry while cycling

This is a discussion on Carry while cycling within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone here carry while bicycling? I am leaning towards wearing my fanny pack with one of my pistols in it. IWB is going to print ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carry while cycling

Senior Moderator

Carry while cycling

Anyone here carry while bicycling? I am leaning towards wearing my fanny pack with one of my pistols in it.

IWB is going to print badly or get hung up in the Camelback.

Matt

2. Remove Ads

FAnny pack on the bike and in the trunk of the M/C only because the leathers are waaayyyyy too tight and any firearm inside them would print like crazy!!!
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

Assistant Administrator
    I can only comment re motor cycling - and elect almost all time to utilize my normal OWB, with vest to cover.

In hot summer that would be all the cover - in cooler weather with leather jacket, vest still under, as it gives the length needed to maintain concealment.

Fanny pack can work, as can tank bag - but in former case carrying full size is tricky in that, and latter case is the problem of access and security. I prefer gun on person at all times.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    you might consider a confident by kramer http://www.kramerleather.com/products.cfm?categoryID=21

i hear you deffinatly want full length tho

Lead Moderator
    Got to say it probably depends on what you wear biking. Of you are a road biker, and dress that way, a fanny pack is the best way to go unless you rig something handy on the bike frame or seat.

There is no way you won't print in cycling clothes. Maybe if you had a real small pistol in a pocket holster, you could get away with it in a jersey pocket. Much more and you get the bulges and the weight drags the jersey!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

I have one of these, and it works quite well.

http://www.action-direct.com/257.htm

Best,
    Jon
    "You may not know it, but there's things that gnaw at a man worse than dyin'."

Charles Travis Postlewaite, 1882

I have a fanny pack holster that works great when we bike ride in the summer.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Me, I am a white trash hillbilly biker, no money for special clothes for biking. I wear the same clothes as for walking, no problem of pistol printing.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by rstickle
    Got to say it probably depends on what you wear biking. Of you are a road biker, and dress that way, a fanny pack is the best way to go unless you rig something handy on the bike frame or seat.

There is no way you won't print in cycling clothes. Maybe if you had a real small pistol in a pocket holster, you could get away with it in a jersey pocket. Much more and you get the bulges and the weight drags the jersey!
    Believe me, if I dressed like the average roadie, dogs would flee and stong men cry. The world is not, repeat not, ready for my ass in spandex.

I wear the bike shorts under a regular pair of gym shorts, and a T-shirt. I can wear my IWB rig under the T-shirt, but the combination of forward lean and camelback tend to print badly, or hang up on the pistol.

I'll give the waist pack a shot, so to speak, and see how that goes.

It does not help that my choices for carry are a full size USP .40 or a full size Kimber .45....

Matt
    Last edited by MattInFla; January 5th, 2006 at 07:46 PM.

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    I can't give advice about carry options, but I'd definitely be armed. A few years ago, there were bikers attacked by Mt Lions in So Cal. Happened to a few people. In Boise, ID, more years back, there were BGs on the bike/walking trails, going after susceptable women. Point: You just never know what you'll encounter. Bike trails are almost always secluded to a point.
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

When I ride I wear regular shorts or zip offs and carry a pocket holster with a 442 in it. A 1911 goes in a Wilderness Safepacker strapped around the handlebars. It rests on the cables and is the perfect postion for access. It comes off easily and attached to my belt with the same hook & loop system. I have used this off road and in town & it works great.
    Rob
    simplyrugged.com

Get Trained Go Armed.

“Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory there is no survival.”
    Winston Churchill

Well, it might sound silly, but here's my setup:
    I wear bike shorts under regular gym type shorts, and a tshirt. Over the bike shorts, but under the gym shorts, I wear a belt, on which I sling an uncle Mike's holster with my .44 special. Reload goes in a pocket. It's fast, it's concealed, and I haven't been able to figure a way to conceal the Glock while bicycling, so I compromise. I also keep a Cold Steel Vaquero Grande in my waistband, as worst case backup.
    Off topic, isn't this little guy neat?!
    "Water can flow, or it can crash. Be like water, my friend."-Bruce Lee

My Blog

"Luck, often enough, will save a man if his courage does hold."

Fanny Pak on the bike works really well...........i carried while on my Motorcycle that way..............best way to be safe, and also be able to control the weapon, should you ever slide on sand.......
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Senior Moderator
    Went for a short ride today with the fanny pack - worked out fine.

I'll probably ride that way most of the time, except for my around the neighborhood route that passes across a couple school lots.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by BigJon
    I have one of these, and it works quite well.

http://www.action-direct.com/257.htm

Best,
    Jon
    I really like the look of that "Action Pack!" For about $30 that is a versitile little gadget. It would work not just on a bicycle but on a motorcycle as well...which is what I thought this thread was all about anyway and that is my next major purchase....someday ~sigh~ Until then I shall have to be satisfied with my GoldWing screen saver....
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links