Parts of Orlando FL to avoid?

This is a discussion on Parts of Orlando FL to avoid? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife and I are vacationing in Orlando at Disney World next week. We're staying in one of their hotels, but as I've seen comments ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Parts of Orlando FL to avoid?

Parts of Orlando FL to avoid?

My wife and I are vacationing in Orlando at Disney World next week. We're staying in one of their hotels, but as I've seen comments here implying Orlando has some dangerous areas; where should we avoid when we're outside of the resort?

We're leaving fairly early on 11-15, so any info we can get before we hit the road will be appreciated.

2. Remove Ads

Parts of Orlando to avoid?

How about ALL of it...

OK, OK...but I'd stay around the Disney area...if I wandered out of the area, it wouldn't be at night.

Orlando is only two hours from me...it's one of the few places that I take 'extra' mags...REALLY!

Stay armed...stay aware...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    How about ALL of it.
    I had to do some work in Lake Mary earlier this year and flew in to Orlando, at night, and quickly got the same feeling. My GPS was not working correctly and I stopped at a gas station and the hair on the back of my neck started tingling, luckily there was a LEO car in the parking lot so I felt OK to go in and admit I was an out of towner.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Stay away from Orange Blossom Trail, aka "OBT." It's where the more questionable activities of all sorts usually take place....
    Keep emotionally active. Cater to your favorite neurosis.

Orange Blossom Trail going north, and Pine Hills, also known as crime hills.

the majority of the areas are not that bad during the day. I work downtown and always have my 27 with me. Like anywhere else, ignore the homeless people and keep your SA up.

If you are staying on site at disney your fine, in all honesty there is no reason to leave the disney area, even if you need food and the likes there is small shops very close nearby. Disney isnt RIGHT in orlando its a bit of a drive on I-4 anyways.....

one thing to keep in mind is disney does do bag checks but last time i was there they had no metal detectors for persons. So if you had planned on carrying in the park.....

LASTLY, if this is your first time at disney, make sure to utilize the fast pass system! If your looking to save some money bring some snacks with you to the park and eat a big breakfast before getting there!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cakewalk View Post
    Stay away from Orange Blossom Trail, aka "OBT." It's where the more questionable activities of all sorts usually take place....
    Or as a friend of mine once said: "One huge IDPA Course of Fire without a single No-Shoot."
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

International Drive, you are like a sitting duck. Seems tourists have problems there and I-92 near Disney. (cheap rooms/lots of foriegn visitors), BGs bolt into rooms.

Domestic issues in Pine Hills, tagged Crime Hills by the locals but not much in way of hotels in that area, if I remember right (near Orlando fairgrounds). Mercy Drive is in that area.

South (and North) Blossum Trail is bad, South is near the Orange County Jail and heads north into Apopka. Always in the news also.

I have lived in the area since 1961, before the rat came to town. With each house purchase, I keep moving away from Otown.

Yes, stay on Disney property, if you can! D

The Tea Cup ride! A lot of gang activity in that area. They call themselves the Snow White Mafia. You have Doc, Grumpy, Sneezy..............

They like to ambush you while you are hurling into a garbage can because you were stupid enough to get on a ride that went around in circles.
    "I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals." - Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    How about ALL of it...
    My thoughts exactly!!

personally i feel rather at home in orlando, i havent really ran into any problems at all. but thats just me.

Quote Originally Posted by mantis View Post
    International Drive, you are like a sitting duck. Seems tourists have problems there and I-92 near Disney. (cheap rooms/lots of foriegn visitors), BGs bolt into rooms.

Domestic issues in Pine Hills, tagged Crime Hills by the locals but not much in way of hotels in that area, if I remember right (near Orlando fairgrounds). Mercy Drive is in that area.

South (and North) Blossum Trail is bad, South is near the Orange County Jail and heads north into Apopka. Always in the news also.

I have lived in the area since 1961, before the rat came to town. With each house purchase, I keep moving away from Otown.

Yes, stay on Disney property, if you can! D
    Not sure where you get your directions but I am as South on OBT as you can get (In Orlando), in Hunters Creek, near GatorLand. We are nowhere near the jail (OVER 13 miles away), and crime over here is very light. MOST of Orlando is good (Orlando is huge) with the exception of a 4-5 mile radius near Crime Hills, Parramore & Rosemont.

Is crime in Orlando up, yes but crime is up in EVERY major city. At least we get to arm ourselves.
    My collection:
    Taurus: PT145
    FN Herstal: Five-seveN
    Springfield Armory: XDM
    Taurus: Ultra-Lite titanium .38spl
    Glock: G26 w- Night sights

Okay, the trail near holden. Does that make sense? My brothers used to call is SOB trail, way back in the 60s. (PS, I'm the little sister)

Most of the people nailed it here. Also watch out for the poorer areas around downtown. Paramore as well. I have gotten lost in those areas before (whoops!) but nothing came of it, but it was also in the daytime and not at night. I've also volunteered at the homeless shelter there before, but again, in the daytime.

Just use common sense, SA, and you should be fine. I agree, stay on Disney property if possible, especially at night. As far as in the Disney parks, you should be fine. They are some of the "safest" places. Their private security force is actually a little scary, heh. It's supposed to be the largest? One of the largest? I'm not sure, but if you've ever talked to one of the employees its pretty interesting. They have an entire squad of armed private security, most ex-military and ex-LEO, ready to go at any time. They also have underground entrances to nearly every part in most parks, so they can be anyway almost instantly.

I've even heard a story of a guy who went back to some lockers to grab his wife's purse... when he started walking away from the locker, he was approached by a security officer who then proceeded to ask him 20 questions as they weren't sure whether he was one of those prowlers that steal stuff out of the roller coaster lockers. Seems they caught him via camera, it was all cleared up though.

Point is, they're always watching you so hopefully you should not have to worry, at least in the parks. I know that I think last year? Someone was killed on Disney property, but around the hotels area if I remember correctly. Definitely be careful around there, at night it can get a little crazy with all the tourists and sheer number of dark hallways around the hotel buildings.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links