Allegation about existing federal CC law

This is a discussion on Allegation about existing federal CC law within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Columnist Sarah Overstreet wrote recently concerning a CC-ban controversy in Springfield MO. She appears to be a rare pro-2A journalist, but I doubt the veracity ...

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar

Columnist Sarah Overstreet wrote recently concerning a CC-ban controversy in Springfield MO. She appears to be a rare pro-2A journalist, but I doubt the veracity of one thing she wrote:

From Personal rights, public good clash in park weapons debate | News-Leader.com | Springfield News-Leader
    Federal concealed carry law prohibits guns in schools, government meetings, or major sports stadiums that hold 5,000 fans, as well as numerous other sites, but doesn't ban them in city parks.
    Other than LEOSA and no carry in federal spaces like post offices and National Parks, I am not familiar with any federal CC laws. Are you aware of any federal law related to the quote above?

Agreed Anubis.

I am not familiar with any federal limit against firearms concealed or otherwise toward sports stadiums (!). Schools and govt. meetings are a state based item, and the only other Fed involvement is applicable toward federal buildings and lands...that I am aware of.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    seems slightly dubious- for example, we know colleges in Utah allow concealed carry. Is that a violation of federal law?

someone should email her and ask her to point us toward these laws...thinking about it, I have never heard of a Federal Concealed Carry Law...?

I sent her an email asking her to cite the federal law. After reading the article, it seems she doesn't know Missouri law lets you walk past most gunbuster signs, either.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    Columnist Sarah Overstreet wrote recently concerning a CC-ban controversy in Springfield MO. She appears to be a rare pro-2A journalist, but I doubt the veracity of one thing she wrote:

From Personal rights, public good clash in park weapons debate | News-Leader.com | Springfield News-Leader

Other than LEOSA and no carry in federal spaces like post offices and National Parks, I am not familiar with any federal CC laws. Are you aware of any federal law related to the quote above?
    It seems that post 9/11 there is lots of searching of bags etc. at almost all sporting events of any size. No weapon signs etc.

Whether this is local decision by private owners or follow up on some policy (not law), I don't know. I have to wonder if Homeland Security has some regulations which are not truly law but which somehow require stadiums to do these searches.

Some strange stuff happened after 9/11 and continues to this day. For awhile, e.g., hotels were required to id their guests. Maybe they still are, but many don't anymore.

This all goes back some to the question posited elsewhere about the effects of executive orders and rule making by various agencies. It is all a tangle and a web, with little oversight by anyone, unless something is challenged in a courtroom.

I think somewhere in the follow up comments Sarah comes on and says she made a mistake and meant "State law" not Federal laws...

Quote Originally Posted by nutz4utwo View Post
    seems slightly dubious- for example, we know colleges in Utah allow concealed carry. Is that a violation of federal law?
    No. I don't remember the actual wording, but basically the federal laws says something like "unless otherwise permitted" or "unless permitted by the state". I also can't recall if universities were mentioned...
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

VIP Member
    Doesn't matter here, NC outlaws that stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by cphilip View Post
    I think somewhere in the follow up comments Sarah comes on and says she made a mistake and meant "State law" not Federal laws...
    Correct. According to section 571.107 RSMO, you cannot carry in any sports arena or staduim (with seating for more than 5,000).

You may have it in your car in the parking lot, but not on you when you exit the vehicle.
    Concealed Carry Class...........................$125.00
    Fingerprints at Sheriffs Office..................$91.70
    CCW Endorsement on ID.......................$11.00
    Allowed to carry my weapon 24/7.........Priceless

Wow. It's refreshing to read an article written by a pro-2A writer. We don't get much of that in St. Louis. Actually, I think we get none.

Quote Originally Posted by nutz4utwo View Post
    ... I have never heard of a Federal Concealed Carry Law...?
    I fear you will in the next 4 years.

Links