Is there any place on earth where you can go "white"?

This is a discussion on Is there any place on earth where you can go "white"? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I live on a farm 6.5 miles from the nearest town. On a gravel road. Surrounded by cattle and grain farms. It is quite safe ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is there any place on earth where you can go "white"?

I live on a farm 6.5 miles from the nearest town. On a gravel road. Surrounded by cattle and grain farms. It is quite safe out here. We are in a small, rural, agricultural county, very gun freindly. You can hear any car on the road 3 minutes before it arrives. I have four large dogs. Have you ever heard of guniea fowl? They make more racket that the dogs do if someone (anything really) comes on the farm. I, and all of my friends (especially the city dweelers that visit) feel very safe and contented here. In ten years we have only had one tresspasser ( a rabbit hunter ) and the law was out here fairly quickly to apprehend him.
    Now, you can't say never. And I do carry while on the farm. But I feel about as safe here as I can anywhere, and with all the alarms systems available, I think I will have enough notice if something is up.

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    Gotta agree with P95, condition yellow as a way on living. No stress to it, just awareness.

Maybe under my bed would be alright, but I don't like the looks of those dust-bunnies!

I don't think I've been in condition white since I was 12. Not actually paranoid, just continually "situationally aware."

And I'm sure P95 is right, it does no harm to stay in condition yellow.

Really.

I'm OK.

I really Am.

And DON'T pay any ATTENTION to those who are OUT TO GET ME!

mm
    Political Correctness has now "evolved" into Political Cowardice.

Quote Originally Posted by havegunjoe
    At home. I carry 24/7 but I am in condition white when relaxing at home with my wife and my dog. I can count on my dog to warn me of anyone approaching so I just don't worry about it.
    Same here - only three dogs, and a wife that carries too. Plus we live in an isolated area, so that's a plus. We used to go to the beaches in Belize, but they're scary now too.

Your western desert "shoot off" sounds pretty good. Do you camp out overnight too?

Still working on my Condition Yellow thinking - hanging around here helps.

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aught Six
    I go "white" all the time. I'm a bit introspective anyway, so once I settle down in my office at home....

Taking a few precautions, I don't really see a problem going white.

1. You lock your doors.

2. You have a loaded gun on your person.

3. You have training and likely practice quick reaction drills.

4. If a BG was "near," it's not like you're gonna shoot him instantly, you'll still assess the situation though it may be in a split second.

5. If the BG's plan is to walk up and wax you, it's likely that he'll have his gun ready to rock and be successful before you realize, Unless of course you're that speedshooter on the video we were passing around yesterday.

So, I say relax a little. Be aware of your surroundings, but don't consider every person in view as a BG. You'll likely spot a BG from a mile away, regardless of your "color."

If anything happens, the results will be completely controlled by the Big Guy upstairs. Just hope for your sake, you know him and he likes you. (Betcha didn't know I was a gun-totin' Bible thumper!) lol
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

VIP Member
    I'll add to P95's that yellow has to become second nature, like driving down the highway. You are not constantly thinking about it but it is running in the background, observing, analyzing if everything is in place or there is something out of whack that requires yor concious attention and makes you go "oooh sh........".
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Like many have said, sitting here at home (and to a degree in the homes of my relatives) I'm pretty relaxed. There are enough weapons either on my belt or close at hand that I can get to quickly if need be. We all recognize noises that aren't typical in our daily lives and that's enough of a warning to up the alertness level.

As Chris said, the "Spidey Sense" is an amazing thing. When out and about if anything at all seems (or feels) out of sorts, I tend to go to a minimum of "high yellow" until I can assess and identify what's causing the problem.

I've given it a lot of thought lately and I've come to suspect that "our" (CCW'ers and the like) condition white actually IS yellow to most other folks. We've just been at it long enough that it comes more naturally. That heightened state of yellow we speak of would then be, what... orange? red? to the majority of people bustling about their daily lives.

As to your apparent need for relaxation, it just takes practice. I started practicing Transcendental Meditation (TM) many years ago in college with the help of a Buddist friend of mine. It's one of the greatest skills I've ever learned and has helped me more than any doctor in living with the last ten years of chronic back pain - I can't catch flies with chopsticks or anything but I've gotten pretty good at controlling my stress levels.
    Jack

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by maclean3
    That heightened state of yellow we speak of would then be, what... orange? red?
    It's ORANGE. Red is combat....slapping leather for real. Orange is very labor intensive and thus can't be maintained at top performance levels for very long. I go to orange when I detect a specific threat and begin to assess until I can make a definitive decision. Assess, assess, assess....then decide. THEN it's either ENGAGE or not. I actually stay in yellow 24/7/365. It's just become natural. I might go to a slightly more relaxed level of yellow, but it never truly slips away.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs
    well there is this little cathouse outside reno , but then that would be a story for another board wouldnt it LOL
    Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh I remember seeing those signs as I passed thru I80 going toward Ca...........LOL...........real "freindly people"
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock

Your western desert "shoot off" sounds pretty good. Do you camp out overnight too?
    Sometimes I do. In the winter it gets too cold though for casual camping and I don't feel like breaking out the 4 seasons gear.

If you have never been out to a desolate, god-forsaken piece of land and spent a few days, you should fit it into your plans. It's very theraputic.
    There are 2 sounds in the world that strike more fear than any others. A click when you should hear a bang and a bang when you should hear a click.

Well, if there was some type of annual gathering of the members on this forum and I was right in the middle of the gathering (not on the edges), I'd go condition white ... no problemo!!

Yup... 6 feet under

Alert today. Alive tomorrow.
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Well I haven't been there in a while. When I flew my plane, white all the way. Nobody could come within a mile without the FAA barking. Nobody could sneak up on me either ;)
    Dave

“The highest obligation and privilege of citizenship is that of bearing arms”. General George Patton—US Army

Vis et Veneratio

"So this is how democracy dies: to thunderous applause." Actress Natalie Portman as Padme in Star Wars Revenge of the Sith

Bedroom?

Your bedroom should qualify as somewhere you can go white. After all, you trust it enough to go ultra-white there for 8 hours a day when you sleep, right?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links