Is there any place on earth where you can go "white"?

This is a discussion on Is there any place on earth where you can go "white"? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was thinking about this yesterday. Where could I possibly go and be able to completely relax and not think about CCW and responsibilities, etc? ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is there any place on earth where you can go "white"?

I was thinking about this yesterday. Where could I possibly go and be able to completely relax and not think about CCW and responsibilities, etc?

My first thought was camping in the woods but that doesn't work. Wild animals, fellow campers, the elements.

Then I thought about boating as a kid. Still no good. You have to keep a lookout for other boats, etc.

Church? No good either. School? Nope. Not even my own bedroom. As I drop off to sleep, I listen for sounds that don't belong.

I can't think of it. Does anyone have a sanctuary where you can let your level drop and be safe?

I love the feeling that I have made an active choice to defend my kids and loved ones at all times but sometimes I miss the ignorance that I once enjoyed.
    Last edited by QKShooter; January 8th, 2006 at 12:29 PM.
    There are 2 sounds in the world that strike more fear than any others. A click when you should hear a bang and a bang when you should hear a click.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    well there is this little cathouse outside reno , but then that would be a story for another board wouldnt it LOL

The North Pole?

Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    The North Pole?
    Bears. I thought of that one too.
    There are 2 sounds in the world that strike more fear than any others. A click when you should hear a bang and a bang when you should hear a click.

Yep, the interior of the White House.
    This is the best IWB holster I have found... ever! :)

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    You could be like paranoid celebrities. They have "safe rooms" built into their houses. Concrete walls, floors, ceilings, time lock doors on some.

My recommendation. Don't let paranoia get you.

XD, I don't know you, and I don't mean to offend. From the "location" you have on your profile...You may have a case of the paranoias. Cut loose.
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Quote Originally Posted by jarhead79
    XD, I don't know you, and I don't mean to offend. From the "location" you have on your profile...You may have a case of the paranoias. Cut loose.
    No offense taken and I didn't want to come across as paranoid because I'm not. And yes, somewhere in Utah is relatively safe compared to other parts of the country but we have our share of violence.

The point of the post was to find out where the group feels the safest. We all need downtime and I am wondering where you go to find it.

I just thought of a place. Shooting in the Utah west desert. I can see for miles around, I have my guns out and ready to go, and nobody cares that you are banging off a few rounds. I think I know what I am doing on my next day off.

For me, it's at home (sometimes), though I do still carry there. I try to occasionally just sit back and smoke a cigar and completely relax, figuring that between the lights, alarms, sensors, cameras and eight dogs --- something will warn me to get alert.
    And, thinking about all the stuff at home designed to warn me, I'm wondering if maybe I am a bit too paranoid...

Sitting in front of the fireplace at home with your best friend lying on the floor next to you.

At home. I carry 24/7 but I am in condition white when relaxing at home with my wife and my dog. I can count on my dog to warn me of anyone approaching so I just don't worry about it.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Assistant Administrator
    There are two sides to this I think.

If we are all practiced at con' yellow then in a way, it is a mode of life and IMO need not be stressful.

Part of yellow is sensory acuity - a sharpening of senses and disciplining of self to be aware of that input. If that is achieved then I doubt in a way that we ever go quite 100% white - not like the sheep!

Therefore, if I am in a ''white friendly'' situation, of which there could be many - I will still expect my ''spidey sense'' to kick in unbidden should something seem out of place.

All that said, I have little doubt that periodically I will perforce be effectively con' white simply due to stuff like sleep!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

P95 -- good points on if you practice yellow as a way of life, then it's likely that you'll lean that direction even when relaxing.
    Sleep? We sleep with four dogs on the bed with us! We got "surprised" once years ago and that's what started us into having dogs all the time. I'm confident that one or more will wake us if there's something we need to check out. I must admit, though, that sometimes a wet nose in the ear wakes me and I didn't need that at all!

The pistol range at our local gun club (Palm Bay, FL) is the perfect place to relax; you are inside a locked fenced area, and you have all your pistols [loaded] with you. It would be hard to find a safer place than that. =)
    "When a strong man, fully armed,
    guards his own palace,
    his goods are in peace."
    --- Jesus (Luke 11:21)

I go "white" all the time. I'm a bit introspective anyway, so once I settle down in my office at home or at my favorite hunting spot in the family deer woods, I take a breath and move towards 100% relaxation. I have no problem reading or thinking in peace and quiet and blocking out the rest of the world. And if I hear a car door slam, or the front gate squeak, or knocking at the door, that's enough to bring me back to my senses.

If you're tense and paranoid all the time, chances are for most that you'll kill yourself with a heart attack before any BG even gets close to you.
    SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS

Proud member NRA, GOA, VCDL

For me, I have two places. At home, because like some others, I have a dog who gets anxious when there's squirrels outside.

And when I'm driving down the highway. When I'm driving, I am visually aware, for the usual reasons. You know, when you're driving, you HAVE to be aware, so some bozo, who's not paying attention doesn't slide into you. But I am relaxed otherwise.

Like P95 said though, I pretty much "live" in condition yellow. So for me, it's no big deal.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links