South Carolina Possession Law?

South Carolina Possession Law?

This is a discussion on South Carolina Possession Law? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I will be traveling in several southern states. My PA or my FL CCW license is recognized in all of them EXCEPT South Carolina. Would ...

Thread: South Carolina Possession Law?

Question South Carolina Possession Law?

I will be traveling in several southern states. My PA or my FL CCW license is recognized in all of them EXCEPT South Carolina. Would it be lawful to keep an unloaded pistol in a locked box while I am in SC? I know it not legal to do that in NY or NJ, but I can't find anything in the SC legal code. Thanks for your help and advice.

In SC, you can carry in your car without a permit of any kind. It must be either in your center console, or glove box, not out in the open. It can be loaded or unloaded, doesn't matter. If you wanted to transport it in a locked box, that is fine as well. You are allowed to carry concealed from your vehicle to hotel room and hotel room to vehicle without a permit, but it MUST be concealed. SC is not an open carry state.
    "The trouble with small furry animals in a corner is that, just occasionally, one of them's a mongoose." - Terry Pratchett, Witches Abroad

Member: NRA - GOA - Grassroots SC

Thanks

Much appreciated.

My PA res and UT non-res allow me to carry concealed everywhere east of the Mississippi River (or east of IL) and south of PA except for MD, DC, and SC.

Fortunately, SC allows console/glovebox carry loaded, so it's a simple matter to transfer my gun in a paddle or pocket holster to the console before crossing the state line and retrieve it after hitting the next state line, all without stopping.

For MD, the FOPA interstate transportation of firearms law applies. I don't even THINK of passing thru DC while in possession of a gun, even though the same federal law protects it. Under that law, I still have to pull over somewhere, unload the gun, and lock it in a trunk (if the car has one) or a lockbox out of my reach (in my SUV). Then the whole thing in reverse when I reach a free state.

Lacking reciprocity, SC's law is not ideal, but I vastly prefer it to MD, DC, etc.
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

Sponsored Links