Range report: My Wife's 1st ever time to shoot

This is a discussion on Range report: My Wife's 1st ever time to shoot within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well we went today to the rage and I showed my Wife how to shoot. This was the first time she has ever shot a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Range report: My Wife's 1st ever time to shoot

Talking Range report: My Wife's 1st ever time to shoot

Well we went today to the rage and I showed my Wife how to shoot. This was the first time she has ever shot a gun, EVER.

It actually turned in to an all day date. We got my Parents to watch the kids and we went to the range at the Bass Pro Shop, then to lunch and then a movie. AWESOME time, but now she is at work (sucks).

So here's the report. She was a bit nervous at first, and I sort of made her more nervous because I was talking too fast and moving around too fast with the handguns, I was excited and let it get to me.

Once I slowed down and showed her how to load the mags and insert them in to the gun and chamber the first round I went over the rules again.

The fun began. As I stated in another thread I was going to work her up the chain. I borrowed some handguns from my Father In-Law and had my pistol. So we went from a .22 to .380 on to a 9mm and then my .40 (S&W Sigma).

The .22 needs to be oiled, it was hard for me to even pull the action back and we kept having FTE, so I had her loading 1 shot at a time after that to cut down on the frustration. Although it was good for her to learn to clear them, and she learned quickly.

On to the .380, she didn't like it that much. She said she didn't like how the recoil felt.

On to the 9mm, she liked it best so far. Then she shot my .40 and said she liked it the best.

*DISCLAIMER* - many of you were right, I should not have judged what I "thought" she would like.

She started with her target at 5 feet, to make sure she was comfortable with the whole process, but we then sent it to 10 feet and then 20 feet.

At one point I saw her off center and when I asked her what happened she told me she was trying to put the round in the same hole as a .22 shot. OK, so now she is just showing off (I LOVE IT).

Attached are some pics of her and of 2 of her targets. She did so well on her first time out I explained that the 8 ring on th etarget she was shooting is the 5 ring for the CHL target, meaning if she shoots the way she did today she has a great chance to get a perfect score on her proficiency test.

I never knew she could look so sexy holding a pistol and shooting.
    Attached Images
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Exellent.
    I am not suprised though. With a bit of coaching, most women seem to shoot well.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I'm working on uploading a video I took of her shooting my gun, I'll post a link in a little bit.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco

She has a real nice smile, looks like a fun date. Congrats to you and your sweetie!!
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

I did forget to mention that I kept warning her to watch her left thumb, she kept folding it over her right hand behind the slide. I told her why but it kept creeping back to the same spot, that is until her knuckle got scratched by the slide after a shot.

Nothing big, but a great reminder for her to be careful how she holds the gun from now on.

-Paco

Glad it went so well!
    NRA, GOA, GRNC member
    "Both the oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms."
    - Aristotle

Well, she looks so happy and all, I almost hate to mention looking at the camera with the finger on the trigger simultaneously. Glad she had fun though, and obviously you're impressed. Any day at the range when we can get our ol' ladies to start handling and controlling the bigger and better rounds is a good day! You're both breaking ground, and that's a good thing.

Here is a video of her shooting my S&W Sigma .40, this was at 5 feet just before we moved it out to 10 and then 20 feet.

I can't wait to take her back.

YouTube - Carisa Shooting the SW40VE.avi

-Paco

Senior Moderator
    Nice !
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    Here is a video of her shooting my S&W Sigma .40, this was at 5 feet just before we moved it out to 10 and then 20 feet.

I can't wait to take her back.

YouTube - Carisa Shooting the SW40VE.avi
    I'd bet she can't wait to go again! You're so proud, and that will be epidemic. I'm sure she's excited on the whole ordeal. Best thing you can do is keep it that way!

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I almost hate to mention looking at the camera with the finger on the trigger simultaneously.
    Yeah, I had to remind her about that a couple of times. I had her tell me the "4 rules" before she could pick up the gun, and then she went and did that

By the end of the trip she had "changed", she was loading the guns and cleared a few FTE from one of the handguns we borrowed from her Dad.

I'd bet she can't wait to go again! You're so proud, and that will be epidemic. I'm sure she's excited on the whole ordeal. Best thing you can do is keep it that way!
    The real funny thing is when I asked her what she thought her response was "Eh, it was fine. I could take it or leave it."

When I asked why nothing more or less, that most people will either not like it at all or really enjoy it, she said that her main goals were to:

1. Get used to firing a gun
    2. Learn to handle a gun
    3. test out the various calibers I have told her about

So I guess it was a successful trip in that aspect, next time I'll make sure we go just for the fun of it.

-Paco

Excellent!

Wow she did great!!! I jumped everytime she fired it while I watched the video. It looked like it packed quite a punch. Not sure I would ever have the nerve to fire one that big. Way to for her!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    The real funny thing is when I asked her what she thought her response was "Eh, it was fine. I could take it or leave it."

When I asked why nothing more or less, that most people will either not like it at all or really enjoy it, she said that her main goals were to:

1. Get used to firing a gun
    2. Learn to handle a gun
    3. test out the various calibers I have told her about

So I guess it was a successful trip in that aspect, next time I'll make sure we go just for the fun of it.
    Women tend to downplay their excitement compared to men. If you don't know that now, you will soon enough. She may very well talk to her close friends about her experience and excitement, but you'll be the last to know the full effect. Successful trip to the range? Oh Yeah!

For the record, she shot:

Taurus PT-22 (Really not impressed, I think it just needs some TLC and some oil)

Grendel P-12 (This gun just flat sucked, nothing more to say about it)

Taurus PT-92 AR (I like this one, but the Wife didn't like it much plus it's too large of a frame for her comfort)

S&W Sigma .40 (She liked this one the best, including the trigger. I then explained that I had done some work on the trigger to make it that light)

Women tend to downplay their excitement compared to men.
    I could tell she was having fun, even when she got surprised by the 9mm she shot.
    Attached Images

-Paco

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links