CCW Permit Process in FL !

This is a discussion on CCW Permit Process in FL ! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm just blowing off some steam, here. Got curious and sent an email inquiry just to see where I stood in the process and was ...

Thread: CCW Permit Process in FL !

Exclamation CCW Permit Process in FL !

I'm just blowing off some steam, here.

Got curious and sent an email inquiry just to see where I stood in the process and was told there was a problem with fingerprinting.

Did I get a receipt from the on-line payment center for the fingerprinting to send in?

NO. I didn't pay for the printing on-line, the S.O.'s office was set up to take direct payments.

Did I get a print-out of the electronicly scanned fingerprints?

YES. But the permit application instruction sheet said "PLEASE INCLUDE EITHER THE PHOTOCOPY OF YOUR FINGERPRINT SCAN, THE CONFIRMATION DOCUMENT, OR THE RECEIPT."

I sent the receipt. When I put the check, the photo and receipt in the big envelope, I put them all together in the little folder that the photo came in. Since they didn't mention NOT finding the check, then they should have also located that receipt!!!!

The nice fellow that answered my email seems reasonable. I wrote back the above info and asked if the package could be looked at, again. Maybe whoever opened it, mistook the fingerprint payment receipt for a receipt for the photo, since they were both in the same small folder.

Otherwise, I suppose I can send the scanned prints in, but not the receipt, as I'm certain they already have it (even if they don't realize it.)

I guess I'm ranting because the electronic fingerprinting normally reduces the processing time by half, but for me, its looking like it may well take TWICE as long.

FYI, my emails to the nice guy at the State were not written in "rant-mode."

mm
    Political Correctness has now "evolved" into Political Cowardice.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    I live in Fla. When I applied for a CWP I did the fingerprint at the S.O. thing. When I mailed in my packet to Charles Bronson(Death Wish ?) I forgot to put my name on the back of the pic. I realized it right away and called them. "No problem" they said. I asked them if they had all else required to complete the procedure. This I would suggest that everybody do,no matter what state they are applying in. All in all,Fla. treated me real good.I had my cwp in(IIRC) about 35 days. Good luck to you with this. I learned a long time ago that you can't fight the beauacracy,you have to learn to use it to YOUR advantage. --------

Senior Moderator
    13 days for me from mailing the packet to receiving the license.

I have nothing but nice things to say about those folks.

Matt

Thanks for the input, guys.

Looking at the State's web site, I see some slightly different information on what should be submitted, when compared to some of the printed instructions included with the application they sent me.

I've calmed down now, and ready to jump thru whatever hoops I have to. I do have the printout of the scanned prints and can send them in. Not sure quite what to do about the receipt for the money I paid when the prints were taken, as I'm still convinced I sent that in.

Maybe I can get the SO's fingerprint person to make me up another one. . . Or get the bank to send me the processed check.

I just hate adding to the time frame.

Rather than just wait on email to find out "what next?" I'll try the phone, too.

Oh, well. One way or another, it will come to pass.

mm

when the wife and i applied the s.o. used cards. sent the package in and 4 weeks later we had licenses. sounds like a bad scene but just think. you'll be legal when it gets there. that makes you a lot better than most people in my book.

Assistant Administrator
    Most annoying to have any hang-ups at all - but certainly it is hard to buck the ''system'' and I guess you'll have to do what it takes and be as patient as you can - it will work out of course.

I was not too displeased with them when I got my FL non-res. I sent everything last January - and my prints were done ''the old way'' at local SO - so didn't expect anything too quick.

They did write back requesting (IIRC) a proof of residency document - which I had sent already, so not sure why or how they lost that - a usual copy of utility bill.

Anyways, didn't argue, sent another straight back and even with that delay it was all thru inside 2 months so - didn't feel that was too bad.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I'm not discouraged, just disappointed.

Like I said, I'm over it and I'll do whatever it takes. I'm not going to buck the system, that never really pays. . .

The only way to "fight the governement" and win, is thru the voting booth.

When I do get my permit, I'll cellibrate! That reminds me. . .

Got to go back to the State's web site and see when "Tourist Season" opens. I've NO idea what the bag-limit is!!

mm

Annoying!!! My wife's Texas application was returned for "bad prints" meaning their machine needed to be cleaned. Nonetheless, we got her reprinted and resubmitted, and she's now anxiously waiting to get her permit.

Good luck in Florida - hope it goes fast now.
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

Update!!!!

I called Tallahassee this AM, using the phone number at the bottom of the email from Ken Wilkerson, under a rather lengthy job description:

Management Analyst
    Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services
    Division of Licensing

He said he'd have some people look at my submission package again and told me I might have to mail the fingerprint scan print, along with some form of proof of payment. I asked him to email me with whatever I need to do, to get the process moving again.

Here's the email I got this afternoon:

Our fingerprint technician found your electronic fingerprint scan. Interestingly enough, your scan arrived here in our office even before your application did -- testimony to how quickly electronic fingerprints can dramatically speed up the process. Our document processors must now review the results forwarded to us by law enforcement authorities.

The good news is that you do not have to take any further action at this point. Now, it is just a matter of waiting for final approval from our document processors.

Have a pleasant weekend.

Ken Wilkinson

At all times, he was pleasant, very professional, and easy to talk to. We could use a few more government employee's like him!

If you think you may be having a problem getting the permit in FL, contact Mr. Wilkinson by phone @ 850-245-5665, or email him @ wilkink@doacs.state.fl.us

The above contact info can be found on the State's web site, so I'm not providing info that isn't published by the State.

When my permit does get here, I intend to write his boss and let him know what a fine job Mr. Wilkinson is doing.

mm

Assistant Administrator
    Excellent - that is what I call service!!

Indeed a thank you note later would I am sure be worthy and welcomed.

Pleased for you Mike
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Notifying his boss with a "attaboy" will probably help all that follow. Great idea. Nowadays, somebody that simply does their job is fairly unusual. Glad that things are back in the process for you again.-------

I'll definately send that note on up the chain of command. I'm not the only person on this Forum he helped, and if it has any effect at all on helping others in the future, so much the beter.

I'll bet they are more used to getting complaints than compliments.

"Dear Jeb. . . "

mm

Senior Member Array older gunner's Avatar
    Hey Mike,
    My wife and I submitted our info and both had electronic fingerprints by the same tech. I got my permit in 13 days. My wife didn't get hers, so I called Tallahassee to see what the problem was. Her fingerprints didn't take. We went back and had them redone. Still no permit. I called again, they said it takes time. Finally, on the 90th day (which is a maximum time, I guess) she got her permit. You can never tell what will happen. However, Florida generally is pretty good. Good luck and enjoy your shooting.

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    Mike:
    my experience was that the "powers that be" want to make you happy and get your ccw in your hands as soon as possible.
    Coming from NY it was a very weird experience for me. Go to the Sheriff's office and get thanked for applying. Even my wife was surprised.
    Relax it's coming.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

When I walked into the Hernando County Sherrif's office, I kind of half-way expected at least a small amount of "attitude."

That simply did NOT happen. They treated me no differently than if I'd been simply asking directions. Very nice, professional, down-right friendly.

The lady who did the fingerprint scan looked at the first result and said it simply wouldn't do. She produced some alchohol wipes, ran them over my finger tips and redid the scan. She took pride in her work and didn't want to release anything that wasn't her best job.

I used to take a very dim view of governmemt agencies, in general. The people I've met during this process are challenging that view.

Guess you can teach a "dead dog new tricks!"

mm

Links