My first LEO experience since my CHL

This is a discussion on My first LEO experience since my CHL within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well yesterday on the way home it happened. I was driving from Plano to my home in McKinney and I noticed a Plano Police SUV ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My first LEO experience since my CHL

My first LEO experience since my CHL

Well yesterday on the way home it happened. I was driving from Plano to my home in McKinney and I noticed a Plano Police SUV doing just under the speed limit and everyone was matching him, which aggravates me, so I manage to make my way to the front of the "pack" and go the speed limit, by doing this I passed the LEO in the next lane. We go for about a mile or so and then I see them, the lights.

We are not in a good place for me to stop, it would create a jam of "rubber neckers" and also make the LEO walk in traffic. So I flip on the blinker (that's turn indicator for you yankees) and get in the right lane and continue on doing the speed limit until I could turn in to a Community College parking lot, where we would all be safe and the LEO would know I am looking out for him as well.

I was nervous, as always, thinking what am I being stopped for, I wasn't speeding and I was using my blinker while doing the rush hour slalom, what is wrong.

He comes up to the window and the car is off, radio off, window already down with both hands on the wheel. He doesn't do the norm and ask if I knew why he stopped me, so I knew it would not be anything I did wrong, at least not the obvious stuff. He tells me my registration sticker is old, I say "it should be current" so he leans over the windshield and sees that it is current, I had it placed low enough on the glass that some of the manufacturer's codes and such were making the "09" look like "08". He apologizes for the mistake and then asks for my license.

I hand him my DL and CHL. He didn't move any differently or change his demeanor in any way. He simply followed up with "are you armed right now, sir?" I said, "Yes sir I am." to which he asked for the location and I told him. He then said, "Please do me a favor and keep your hands on the wheel and I'll be right back." I said "yes sir, you got it."

He later came back and handed me my DL, CHL and proof of insurance and said he was sorry for the mistake and have a good day. I then thanked him and told him to be safe out there and I drove off.

Great experience all around, he was calm and knew he was not in danger, at least not from my end.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

2. Remove Ads

Good job! Wish they were all that way.
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

I can't speak for everyone, but for myself, there is a certain amount of anxiety when thinking about that "first" LEO stop. After reading all of the information on these forums, I've prepared myself as much as possible as to my responses when "the man" walks up to my window. I hope my first time goes as well as yours.
    Last edited by First Sgt; November 19th, 2008 at 11:10 AM. Reason: spell ck
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    Wait a sec.
    He looked at your registration and realized he was wrong and still ran you?
    What's with that?
    At least he diid the gun part right.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Quote Originally Posted by AirForceShooter View Post
    Wait a sec.
    What's with that?
    Dunno, maybe SOP, maybe he figured since he already had me stopped might as well check to see if I was a person of interest.

How many bad guys have been taken down due to a broken tail light?
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco

Quote Originally Posted by First Sgt View Post
    I can't speak for everyone, but for myself, there is a certain amount of anxiety when thinking about that "first" LEO stop. After reading all of the information on these forums, I've prepared myself as much as possible as to my responses when "the man" walks up to my window. I hope my first time goes as well as yours.
    I've had three LE encounters over the years where I was armed. Two were traffic related and neither LEO cared at all about the weapon (of course I tried to act correctly not to scare him) the third was a whole other issue. Man with a gun call. Two LEO's, one deputy and one FHP. They approached me with hands on their weapons but not drawn. They asked if I were armed and then where it was. The FHP retrieved my weapon, cleared it. Ran me then asked that I not reload until that cleared the area.

I would say in all three encounters I could not have expected better treatment.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

CDH
    Quote Originally Posted by First Sgt View Post
    Why the anxiety?
    For whatever reason a person is stopped, carrying a legally allowed weapon and having the proper ID isn't something to be anxious about.
    It's not like you're breaking the law or something... right?

When I was stopped for "pushing" a red light, I acted exactly like I would have had I not had a CHL license or been carrying.
    I was cooperative, gave him the necessary information, and lied through my teeth, telling him that I felt it was safer for me to go through since there was no cross traffic (at all) and stopping quickly might cause the guy behind me to rear-end me (not a total lie).

During the stop, he asked me where my pistol was (in my right hip IWB holster) and asked me to leave it there. He didn't need to see it.
    We chatted, he bought my story, and I drove off without a ticket.

I think feeling nervous shows on your face and how you act, and that nervousness might make the officer nervous about you as well.
    Not something you want to do on purpose.

I tend to always get a little on edge when I am stopped, especially when I know I didn't do anything wrong.

I have always had issues with authority, which made Basic Training a lot of fun

-Paco

Administrator
    Wait a sec.
    What's with that?
    At least he diid the gun part right.

AFS

Thats what your supposed to do. Wouldnt you be ticked if that was your stolen car, or the guy who broke into your home and you found out he was stopped for a minor traffic issue and wasnt ID'd?

The only thing I see wrong was that Paco didnt pull over immediatly. Had the LEO wanted you to wait for a different place to pull over, he would have waited to to turn his lights on, or directed you to do so. The lights mean stop, and move over to the right now, not when you feel like it. You are doing the LEO no favor by choosing a "safe" place to stop. Thats the LEO's job.
    Look at it this way; you had no idea why he was pulling you over, so how do you know that he wsnt trying to get around you to go else where? If that had been the case, you wasted a lot of time when seconds matter.

Other than that, it sounded good to me.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Interesting, I always thought LEO appreciated the extra precaution of pulling in to a less crowded place. I can see if it were a mile or so, but I only had to go about 1/4 mile to get in the parking lot, and had my blinker on the whole time.

Good to know from the LEO perspective.

-Paco

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Thats what your supposed to do. Wouldnt you be ticked if that was your stolen car, or the guy who broke into your home and you found out he was stopped for a minor traffic issue and wasnt ID'd?

The only thing I see wrong was that Paco didnt pull over immediatly. Had the LEO wanted you to wait for a different place to pull over, he would have waited to to turn his lights on, or directed you to do so. The lights mean stop, and move over to the right now, not when you feel like it. You are doing the LEO no favor by choosing a "safe" place to stop. Thats the LEO's job.
    Look at it this way; you had no idea why he was pulling you over, so how do you know that he wsnt trying to get around you to go else where? If that had been the case, you wasted a lot of time when seconds matter.

The LEO ran the plate before the stop occurred.
    He knows the car hasn't been reported stolen.

sorry, once he's figured out he's erred it's over, Bye Bye go on your way.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post

Respectfully Disagree... if you feel that you or the LEO could be put in danger, you can keep going providing that you keep signalling so that the LEO knows where you are going.

I had a g/f that was in Charleston, SC back in the early 90's who refused to stop for a policeman because there had been a rash of "fake leo's" pulling people over and robbing them...

Why she called me I will never know, I told her to hang up, and call 911 in that way she could ensure the person in the vehicle behind her was a cop, and indeed it was.

He was not even the slightest upset that she called 911, only that it took her so long to do so.

She pulled into a library and stayed on the phone until the 911 dispatcher was able to verify she was being followed by a LEO.

There are numerous reasons not to pull over in an area, congestion, road work, bad lighting... and a number of other reasons...

Only the person being pulled over can make the determination if they feel safe and MUST pull over immediately.

Respectfully,

Mike A!

Administrator
    The LEO ran the plate before the stop occurred.
    He knows the car hasn't been reported stolen.

sorry, once he's figured out he's erred it's over, Bye Bye go on your way.

AFS
    Who said the response had come back prior to the approach? Often times it has not. It sometimes takes several minutes.

Being stolen and being reported stolen are two very different things. In the past two years, I've recovered 12 stolen cars. 5 were reported stolen at the time of recovery. 3 were not reported until after the stop and I had cut them loose. Arrests were made after the fact.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I'm thinking he was making sure I was OK. There have been a rash of reports on 6' tall balding, over weight white guys doing bad things lately.

It actually doesn't bother me. There was another LEO in the SUV so it may have been a simple training situation. I wasn't running late for my TKD class so I was in no real hurry. Not to mention the time I was stopped all the other knuckleheads that were too scared to pass the LEO because he was going 5 below the speed limit were now out of my way .

-Paco

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by mlakrid View Post
    Respectfully Disagree... if you feel that you or the LEO could be put in danger, you can keep going providing that you keep signalling so that the LEO knows where you are going.

I had a g/f that was in Charleston, SC back in the early 90's who refused to stop for a policeman because there had been a rash of "fake leo's" pulling people over and robbing them...

Why she called me I will never know, I told her to hang up, and call 911 in that way she could ensure the person in the vehicle behind her was a cop, and indeed it was.

He was not even the slightest upset that she called 911, only that it took her so long to do so.

She pulled into a library and stayed on the phone until the 911 dispatcher was able to verify she was being followed by a LEO.

There are numerous reasons not to pull over in an area, congestion, road work, bad lighting... and a number of other reasons...

Only the person being pulled over can make the determination if they feel safe and MUST pull over immediately.

Respectfully,

Mike A!
    What is it that you do for a living?

The fake LEO is a different issue entirely, its been addressed many times before on DC.com. Start a new thread if you want to talk about that, I'll be happy to respond.

If the LEO didnt want you to stop were you are, the lights would not have come on.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links