First LEO Contact with CWP

This is a discussion on First LEO Contact with CWP within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had my first encounter with LE since getting my CWP in July. I was sitting in a Church parking lot talking to my fiancee ...

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar

I had my first encounter with LE since getting my CWP in July. I was sitting in a Church parking lot talking to my fiancee and drinking a coke and had taken my gun off and put it under my jacket next to me in the passenger seat and I was sitting there as I looked out the corner of my eye and see the deputy go thru the parking lot turn him head and see my car and I knew he was going to come over and check me out. He pulls up and turns on his spotlight and so I wait for him to come out and make contact with me putting the phone down rolling down the window and pulling out my ID as he comes up. He asks me what I am doing sitting in the parking lot and I told him talking on the phone and drinking a coke. I then told him sir I have a concealed weapon and it is under my jacket beside me and loaded. He asked what kind is it. I told him XD .45 What would you like me to do and he told me step to the front of my car and wait for him to run my info and I did he says you know your permit only allows you to have your weapon on your person and I told him I did but I had removed it because it was riding my side and into my skin and he told me next time have it on you or put it in the glove box. He told me then sit tight and wait for my warrants check to come back. So overall good encounter
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

VIP Member
    Not a bad encounter. So in SC you have to have your weapon on your person or locked up in your glove box, if you are in a vehicle? It's amazing how the states differ on this stuff.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    I'm confused XD45...I thought you had an encounter when you drew on a BG stalking your fiance? Regardless, since you did not get pulled over and he was just asking what you were doing there, are you required to tell him/her that you have a weapon?

Rick

You did nothing wrong, and it sounds as if it was a polite exchange both ways.

Stay armed...apparently only on your person?...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by TX-JB View Post
    Not a bad encounter. So in SC you have to have your weapon on your person or locked up in your glove box, if you are in a vehicle? It's amazing how the states differ on this stuff.

No, here in SC it does not have to be locked up. It must be in a glove box, console, etc. but it can be unlocked. This applies to anyone whether they have a CCP or not. Also, if a LEO asks for ID, we are required to produce our permit along with ID.

In my area, you don't even need a permit to have one in your car on the passenger seat or wherever.
    That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?

http://www.nevadashooters.com

Quote Originally Posted by whyipackmy45 View Post
    In my area, you don't even need a permit to have one in your car on the passenger seat or wherever.
    In SC, you can have a loaded weapon in your vehicle provided it is either in the console, glove box, or trunk. No permit is required. If you are carrying, you must have a CWP, it must be concealed as there is no OC in SC at this time.

I think the LEO had a good attitude considering the weapon had been removed from the body. Overall congrats on a good encounter.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

I live in the Myrtle Beach, SC area and I've found that most LEOs I've talked to are CWP friendly.
    I spoke recently with a young officer in a gun shop who told me that they just started carrying the S&W M&P .45 service gun.

Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post
    I'm confused XD45...I thought you had an encounter when you drew on a BG stalking your fiance? Regardless, since you did not get pulled over and he was just asking what you were doing there, are you required to tell him/her that you have a weapon?

Rick
    September 16th, 2008, 01:01 AM
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...irst-time.html
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tbrenke View Post
    I'm "old and confused" and probably missing something obvious here? Which story happened to you first?
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post

Rick
    Any time we are asked for ID and we have a weapon we must inform LE and hand over permit

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    I'm "old and confused" and probably missing something obvious here? Which story happened to you first?
    Drew Weapon story did first
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

Quote Originally Posted by XD 45 View Post
    I had my first encounter with LE since getting my CWP in July. I was sitting in a Church parking lot talking to my fiancee and drinking a coke and had taken my gun off and put it under my jacket next to me in the passenger seat and I was sitting there as I looked out the corner of my eye and see the deputy go thru the parking lot turn him head and see my car and I knew he was going to come over and check me out. He pulls up and turns on his spotlight and so I wait for him to come out and make contact with me putting the phone down rolling down the window and pulling out my ID as he comes up. He asks me what I am doing sitting in the parking lot and I told him talking on the phone and drinking a coke. I then told him sir I have a concealed weapon and it is under my jacket beside me and loaded. He asked what kind is it. I told him XD .45 What would you like me to do and he told me step to the front of my car and wait for him to run my info and I did he says you know your permit only allows you to have your weapon on your person and I told him I did but I had removed it because it was riding my side and into my skin and he told me next time have it on you or put it in the glove box. He told me then sit tight and wait for my warrants check to come back. So overall good encounter
    Worked out fine, but I think you made one mistake. You said; "I then told him sir I have a concealed weapon and it is under my jacket beside me and loaded." IMO you should have said "I have a cc permit" then said you were carrying. When you simply say I have a gun, some LEO's will take that as a threat and go for theirs. I read that on another forum posted by a LEO.

Links