How long did it take?

This is a discussion on How long did it take? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How long did it take for you guys and especially you glock guys to get comfortable carrying with one in the chamber? It makes me ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long did it take?

How long did it take?

How long did it take for you guys and especially you glock guys to get comfortable carrying with one in the chamber? It makes me nervous enough that I'm considering switching to a 1911 style with a manual safety. I like my glock, don't get me wrong, but that light trigger pull which I require makes me uncomfortable knowing i don't have a manual safety.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    One day of training at the range with my Dept.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    The Great Karnack predicts that just about everyone here will tell you that they started out with one in the chamber. I, OTOH, felt like you. I carried with an empty chamber initially. It only took me about a week before I felt comfortable carrying and with my Glock and I started carrying with one in the chamber. Now I wouldn't do it any other way.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

JD
    Administrator
    .003 seconds.

Guns are meant to be loaded when carried.

I don't think it was ever an issue.

*ETA* Not a "Glock Guy" but I've carried similar guns.

if you are nervous then try the old "test" of carrying without one in the chamber for a week and noticing everyday that the trigger didn't get pulled. Another test, unload the gun, double check that it is unloaded, put it in the holster and try your hardest to pull the trigger. Finally, have you learned how to detail strip your glock yet? If not then give this a try, you will learn a lot about the safety mechanisms in the gun.

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ScoobaSteve View Post
    How long did it take for you guys and especially you glock guys to get comfortable carrying with one in the chamber? It makes me nervous enough that I'm considering switching to a 1911 style with a manual safety. I like my glock, don't get me wrong, but that light trigger pull which I require makes me uncomfortable knowing i don't have a manual safety.
    Join the NYC PD, they'll screw up that Glock trigger just fine......make it 12 lbs.....lucky if you hit the side of the proverbial barn.

1911, cocked and locked, safest carry.....
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

My wife carries her M&P9c for the first time the other day. Her last carry piece had an external safety and the M&P doesn't. We loaded her mag, and put a snap cap in a second mag. Put the snap cap into the chamber and then put the full mag in. Yes, if the SHTF, it would take that much more time, but we spentt he entire day together, so we were OK with it.

At the end of the day, it was easy to check if the gun had shot itself...

I'm also a .003 seconds guy. There are a couple Glocks out there in circulation now (just a few) and as far as I've heard, they're not spontaneously discharging at a rate that would make the news (which would be any number above zero).

An unloaded gun is a paper weight.
    When in doubt, just ask yourself, "What would Theodore Roosevelt do?"

Every society is 3 missed meals away from anarchy.

Glocks are fine guns, but after watching a DEA agent shoot himself with one while teaching class, I'll stick with a Sig. (For my safety and others)
    Kahr K9
    Sig P239 9mm DAK
    Sig P229 .40 SAS GenII
    Sig P250 9mm

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Due to the prevailing attitude on this forum, when I started carrying around the house to practice I started with a round chambered. It seemingly went against the way I have always been taught to handle guns (always keep unloaded until on the firing line), so it was a bit of a plunge...but I decided to take it. Knowing that plenty of police officers walk around every day with a chambered round in their Glocks (which are identical to mine) and nothing happens was my main comfort.

And guess what...it still hasn't gone off on its own, shockingly

I say just go for it! As long as you have a quality holster you will be fine.

For me, it has been a bit of a journey. Originally, I kind of instinctively feared a loaded gun. Now I have started to realize that I should not, as long as I simply do not point it in unsafe directions or pull the trigger.

Oh, one more thing: I do keep the gun in a holster at all times when it is loaded, even if I set it down or something and it is not directly on my person, if it is loaded it is in a holster of some type covering the trigger.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

From the moment I chambered it.
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

I hate to even say this but I love the safety system on highpoints 9mm. I'd never carry it as its poorly balanced and weighs too much but I trust the safety like no other. If highpoint made a lightweight balanced version of their pistol, I wouldn't carry anything else.
    They can't take your right to own a firearm. They can ask with force and you can answer any way you choose.

I am still waiting on my permit to carry my glock, but I expect I will carry with an empty chamber for the first few weeks just to get my own comfort level up. I "know" its safe, but on the other hand it just goes against what ive always been taught about guns since i was a wee lad.

me
    My first gun was a kel-tec with a heavy trigger pull so when I switched to a M&P I was ok with one in the chamber cause the Kel-tec had never fired.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Senior Moderator
    People have been carrying revolvers for years with one round in the chamber and no external safety.

A Glock is no Different
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links