Detailed questions about traveling with guns/CCW

This is a discussion on Detailed questions about traveling with guns/CCW within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello. I have already been to carryconcealed.net for their pack-n-go trip planner. My only issue is Maryland: 2. Maryland This State DOES NOT Honor Your ...

Hello. I have already been to carryconcealed.net for their pack-n-go trip planner.

My only issue is Maryland:
    2. Maryland
    This State DOES NOT Honor Your CCW Permit.
    Maryland IS an Open Carry State. Fully preempted open carry permitted on foot and in vehicles with a license; localities fully preempted. Please see OpenCarry.org - A Right Unexercised is a Right Lost!.
    For more information visit Maryland's State CCW Legal page
    So, does this mean that I can carry my handgun in the car if it is not concealed? What constitutes not concealed in a vehicle?

It says fully preempted open carry permitted with a license. Can someone explain what license this is referring to?

Well I just went to opencarry.org and it states that for Maryland:
    Open Car Carry You may NOT open carry in a car.
    So it sounds like any carry in MD requires a license that will not be issued. I am guessing this means that as I travel through MD, I need to follow the rules below concerning the Federal firearms transport rules.

I will also be transporting some long guns. I read this:
    Federal Firearms Transportation Statute
    The federal firearms transportation statute basically states that you are allowed to transport a legally owned firearm through any state as long as you meet the following requirements.
    1. Your weapon is kept unloaded and stored in a separate compartment not readily accessible by either the driver or passengers.

2. Any ammunition is kept separate from location of firearms and is also not readily accessible by either the driver or passengers.
    In a car, I can put the guns in the trunk, unloaded. But when it comes to ammunition, where can I put it so that it is not in the trunk and not accessible by the driver or passenger? This makes no sense to me.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    You can not carry an accessible gun in Maryland.

At your last stop before entering the state, disarm, unload the weapon (some will recommend that you empty your magazines as well), and lock it in the trunk. I have two Center of Mass lockboxes. I lock my gun in one and my mags in the other, then put both in the trunk.

On your first stop after leaving the state, kit up and feel safe again.

Do not carry a gun in the car with you, and do not store a loaded magazine with the gun. Best advice is don't have loaded mags at all.

ETA: Loose/boxed ammo in the trunk with the gun is not a problem; the only sticking point is loaded magazines. Although there is nothing specifically in the statutes about carrying loaded mags, the general consensus is that an officer of prosecutor might try to treat them as legally equivalent to a loaded weapon, therefore unlawful to transport. That's why I say the safest bet is to unload all your carry mags before entering the state.

The short version is that Maryland makes absolutely no distinction between open and concealed carry. A license in Maryland (which is pretty unobtainable for residents and absolutely unobtainable for non-residents) is a Weapons Carry Permit. Without one, you don't carry a weapon, period.

Enjoy your trip through my lovely state and my a healthy tail wind see you quickly to the far side of it.
    Last edited by kazzaerexys; November 20th, 2008 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Additional information.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post

At your last stop before entering the state, disarm, unload the weapon (some will recommend that you empty your magazines as well), and lock it in the trunk. I have two Center of Mass lockboxes. I lock my gun in one and my mags in the other, then put both in the trunk.

Do not carry a gun in the car with you, and do not store a loaded magazine with the gun. Best advice is don't have loaded mags at all.

ETA: Loose/boxed ammo in the trunk with the gun is not a problem; the only sticking point is loaded magazines. Although there is nothing specifically in the statutes about carrying loaded mags, the general consensus is that an officer of prosecutor might try to treat them as legally equivalent to a loaded weapon, therefore unlawful to transport. That's why I say the safest bet is to unload all your carry mags before entering the state.

The short version is that Maryland makes absolutely no distinction between open and concealed carry. A license in Maryland (which is pretty unobtainable for residents and absolutely unobtainable for non-residents) is a Weapons Carry Permit. Without one, you don't carry a weapon, period.

Enjoy your trip through my lovely state and my a healthy tail wind see you quickly to the far side of it.
    This data is absolutely correct. I traveled thru Maryland a couple of months ago and contacted the State Police directly. They confirmed the weapon must be unloaded, locked up and inaccessible. The ammunition must be in a separate area of the vehicle.
    You'll rock, with a 357 Glock

Can someone explain "separate area of the vehicle, not accessible by the driver?"

I don't know of any such areas in my car.

Under federal law, if your vehicle does not have a trunk (like an SUV or van) it is okay to have them in a locked container, so long as that container is not within access of the driver or passengers (i.e., put the locked cases as far in teh back as you can, and if you have other luggage, put the luggage on top of the weapons cases.

Section 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or
    regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any
    person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from
    transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to
    transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he
    may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place
    where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during
    such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the
    firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible
    or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such
    transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle
    without a compartment separate from the driver's compartment the
    firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container
    other than the glove compartment or console

OK. So it sounds like I have to have the ammo in a container in the trunk (locked?) and the guns in a container in the trunk as well (locked?)

The trunk is not the compartment, the container in the trunk is the compartment. Therefore, the ammo and guns can both be in the trunk but in separate compartments.

Is this correct?

The MD law is, alas, a bit fuzzy on ammo. I have never run across anybody who thinks that having loose (boxed) ammo in the trunk while your gun is also there is against the law. On the other hand, there are people who swear that a loaded magazine, whether or not there is a gun nearby, will be treated the same as a weapon, even though nothing in the statutes say this.

For what it is worth, when I am on my way out of state, I pack my loaded mags in a Center-of-Mass lockbox, put that box in my gunbag, put the gun in the gunbag separately, and then lock the gunbag in the trunk. I also have shooting buddies who think this method is too risky and that I ought to just unload the mags. My take on that is that I do not want to be putting rounds into magazines at the rest-stop bathroom stall where I kit up once I get to PA or VA...

In your case, I would just go with the separate locked containers like you said. A pair of like-keyed Center-of-Mass boxes is perfect for this.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

what is a center of mass box? Is that a brand?

Quote Originally Posted by old skool View Post
    I just checked the forum rules and I'm not sure if I can post a link to the center of mass web site or if that would be considered unfair to forum advertisers, so I'll just say google center of mass gun safe and you will find their site.

Center of Mass is a company that makes and sells nice small gunsafes that can fit under your car seat.

Ed

Thanks so much. I will look into it.

On a side note, looking at that safe I am guessing you lock the safe to the car and then the safe itself so that it is more difficult to remove?

VIP Member

+1..

MD state cannot touch you if you are travelling through the state and meet the federal 18 USC 926a requirement. Not to say they can't hassle you, but they cannot win a prosecution. You're worrying about it way too much, even if you do get stopped for something like speeding, they must have probable cause to search your vehicle, and then, unless you are arrested, they must have your permission. So just don't worry about it, there is 99.9% chance they are not going to be able to legally look in your locked trunk anyway.

Put the unloaded guns in the trunk, they do not have to be locked up in a case in the trunk, just in the locked trunk. I would probably unload the magazines. Just put the ammo in the trunk with guns. Drive careful and get the heck out of MD.

VIP Member
    Center Of Mass Central

They are rather inexpensive, well built and a must for any sensible gun owner that has to leave a firearm in a vehicle. I had mine for 3 years now and although scratched to heck and a new lock (I broke the key inside the lock and had to change it) it is still going on strong. Some members have used it as travel case when going on an airline with no hassles from TSA or the airlines.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

That is sad that you feel this way about the state you live in. (If Maine had that law, I would feel that way too.)

Kev

Thanks so much. I will look into it.

On a side note, looking at that safe I am guessing you lock the safe to the car and then the safe itself so that it is more difficult to remove?
    They are rigged for loop cables. I have one looped under the driver's seat and the other one to a tie-down hitch inside the trunk. I also bought the pair with matched keys. It's about the most convenient car setup I could come up with...

Quote Originally Posted by Rebmik View Post
    That is sad that you feel this way about the state you live in. (If Maine had that law, I would feel that way too.)
    It's like a lot of other states---a small handful of Blue dominates the whole State.gov. Beautiful countryside and coastlines, lots of fun stuff to do, good friends I have here, and that's where the work is...but the state gov't is not exactly overrun with people hung up on personal responsibility. *sigh*

Links