Texas Processing Time

This is a discussion on Texas Processing Time within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello all, Here is my update: Texas licensing class - 9/13 papers mailed - 9/16 license received - 11/20 I agree with a past poster ...

Thread: Texas Processing Time

Texas Processing Time

Hello all,

Here is my update:

Texas licensing class - 9/13

papers mailed - 9/16

license received - 11/20

I agree with a past poster that this bureaucratic delay along with the costs creates an infringement. The good news is that it's all over now.

While I won't badmouth the instructors I had, you can write to me and I'll tell you which group to avoid. Our class was held on a Saturday at Bass Pro in Grapevine if that gives you a clue.

Our class was very paramilitary; "DON'T FILL OUT THAT FORM UNTIL I TELL YOU TO!! FOLKS, IT'S NOT ROCKET SCIENCE!", etc, etc. Lots of 'hurry up and wait' -type nonsense. The choice was the lesser of two evils, as I saw it: Either put up with these clowns, or walk out and start all over again.

If I treated my customers the way these guys do, I'd be out of business in a week.

The attached is what I usually carry, but I bought an EFK firedragon barrel in .40 S&W due to limited .357 SIG ammo availability.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by pgrass101; November 20th, 2008 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Removed Language

2. Remove Ads

How many people were in your class?

I would have to say that if I chose to teach a class at a Bass Pro Shop and the folks just walked in off the street and didn't know them from Adam. I would probably handle it the same way. The instructors have no idea who is walking through the door, what their background is or what their competency is with or around firearms.

Were there any people in your class that made you think, "oh my God, this person is actually going to be carrying a gun"?

Welcome to the CHL world.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

dont worry about the delay; just realize that texas is swamped right now with applications.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Attendance

We had about 40 or so. Thanks - I got my first license in Oklahoma in 2006.

As to the other responses; As an instructor, I think I'll politely agree to disagree on teaching methods/dealing with people. I will give the instructors credit for kicking out one woman for poor muzzle discipline.

2 mo. from mail to CHL, not bad at all.

When I took my Wife shooting for her first time last Sat. we had to wait behind the CHL quals class, it was great for her to see how it works and what the size of target she will need to hit (no worries for her).

There was one guy that kept jumping when someone on the rifle tube fired his 30-06, it was real sad to see. My Wife even made a comment about it.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

2 months, thats fast. I'm still waiting and it's been 3 months now.
    NRA Member

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    I hate it you had a bad experiance with the type of instructor you had. But with a class of 40 people, it may be the only way he can control it. I never run more that 20 people Max. I like to try and get to know something about about the people and I have made some really nice friends over the years. I also have at least one extra instructor with me and sometimes 3. Welcome to the CC world.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    I never run more that 20 people Max.
    I was looking in to the Bullet Trap for my Wife's class and they have to do it on a split day because they run 45 in each class. They do offer a 1 day class with 10 people in the class, but they charge $175 for that class.

Where do you hold your classes? I am going to be sending my Wife to DFW Gun Range, but would consider your place if you have an availability on Dec. 20 when she is off work for her class.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

It took around 100 days for me to receive my license. 2 months is not much at all. Welcome once again to the CC world.

Quote Originally Posted by edr9x23super View Post
    ... realize that texas is swamped right now with applications.
    Thank God!
    Randy
    "The only purpose for a pistol is to fight your way back to the rifle you should have never laid down". -unknown

Cool

Applications are very high right now. Lots of new ones and nobody is letting theirs expire. FBI background checks increased almost 15% in October. Two months is great.

me
    GF and I should be on that list of applications shortly. We are planning to be taking a class here in the next few weeks.

I have the great ability to carry right now because I have moved here from PA and still have my valid PA permit. But as we were talking the other day she expressed interest so off to class we go. I had been unable to find one in my area that fit my scheduling needs so I had just said heck with it I have one & don't expect to be in Texas past March. But this gives me reason to take the class anyway.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

me
    Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    Where do you hold your classes?
    Please do share I would love to have a fellow DC member for the class my GF and I will be taking.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Took 142 days for me - 4-2/3 months. 2 months for you? <clunk> My jaw dropped.
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    Mine took 74 days when sent off in August... it seems that they're trying to push through newly received apps quickly and getting to the backlog as they have time.

As for Reborn, I'll let him send details on the class but let me just say that he is top-notch. We had some difficult students in my class (4 guys came together and their car broke down... took most of the day to get it towed and what not), and he handled it just fine. I ended up getting together 5 people from my small group at church and my mom recently that he took through the CHL course - from all accounts, a good time was had by all.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

Links