Good manners, or escalating the situation...?

This is a discussion on Good manners, or escalating the situation...? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In my class (I'm new to carrying) the instructor said, "many people when stopped by an officer in a traffic stop will hand them their ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Good manners, or escalating the situation...?

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar

Good manners, or escalating the situation...?

In my class (I'm new to carrying) the instructor said, "many people when stopped by an officer in a traffic stop will hand them their permit with their license..." Sounds reasonable to me... no need to startle an officer. I asked a retired LEO what his views were and he said, "why make the guy nervous...? If you get pulled over, take your ticket and don't mention weapons unless he asks..."

That surprised me. I am one of the GOOD GUYS and inclined to assist and cooperate with LEO in pretty much any circumstance. The last thing I want is to be drawn on or wrestled to the ground if a cop sees a glint of gunmetal blue under my shirt...

So what's the right way to go...? Should I mention my Sig if I'm getting written up for a burnt-out tail lite...?
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

2. Remove Ads

In Flordia it the law......you'd better.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

depends on the state. Would seem from most post on this topic you are better to inform than not to.

I believe in handing over your permit along with the other documents so that there are no surprises for the officer.

This is really an individual thing. In my home states of NH and ME I will inform. Here in NY. nope. I take many things into account and location and "political climate" are two of them. I take steps so that my CCW wouldn't be exposed in the event of being stopped (Insurance and Registration in drivers side visor, license in front left pocket, etc) and that works for me. It may not work for you though. I've also heard more than one officer state that they don't care if you hand over a CCW or not since they will assume that every car has a gun in it.

Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post

Really? I was told by a Florida LEO you're not required.
    Keep emotionally active. Cater to your favorite neurosis.

I was not told that... and the retired LEO didn't say that...

I'm tellin' ya... my class was pretty poor. The instructor was nice and personable and obviously knowlegable, but he seemed like he was "phoning it in"... even I can see that I need greater training before I start walking around with this death dispenser...
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

I think the reaction greatly differs from officer to officer, even within the same city or state. I'm of the school of thought that more information up front is best. I'd rather the officer know I have a weapon right away, even if it makes him slightly uneasy, than to have him find it on me before he asks if I have a permit. Being friendly, curteous and up front about things seems like a good idea... but then again, we've seen stories here where the LEO totally overracts once informed. So... yeah

In Texas you have to and besides its just good sense to tell him and let him decide how he wants to handle it,we all just want to go home safe every day.sj

Not according to Gutmacher's book, Florida Firearms.

He actually recommends you do not mention it.

Zach sez...

He actually recommends you do not mention it.
    My head hurts...

your not required to here in KY, so i wont. i have a few buddies here at the local PD, and SO so quite a few of them no i carry anyways
    U/315
    KY Concealed Carry Instructor
    Taser X2/X26 Instructor
    "It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to…[he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any (life-threatening) attack made upon him with a deadly weapon…." Gibson v. KY, 34SW936(Ky.1931)

VIP Member
    First of all it will depend on the state your in whether you are required to inform. Make sure you know what the law is in the state your traveling in is.

Even in states that do not require you notify I will go ahead and notify the officer. In Virginia your permit is linked to your vehicle tags, so if your pulled over they already know you have a permit before they approach you. Might as well go ahead and tell them you are carrying.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

As noted by others it is the law in select states (though not my own).
    I too as a mandatory means of action for myself will hand over my state applicable license to the officer _at_ the time that he asks for my ID. I will not though do so unless he specifically asks for identification.

In doing so across two states (VA and MA) and IIRC 6 LEO interactions not once have I had a LEO react negatively. Not to say it can't happen though.
    I run with this mode for myself as a default so that up front there are no surprises to appear in the relationship between myself and the LEO. Further I do so by default so that I don't have to question myself toward is it required or not in the given state where I might be. Further I do so because I want the officer to know, upfront, that even as I am armed I am by letting him know so up front am not in mindset a person who wishes to cause him harm.
    Key for me in my boots is to keep the LEO as comfortable as is possible so that I might be allowed to go on about my day/travels without undue issue.

If the LEOs reaction had turned out to be negative as in OMG YOUUUU GOT A GAT!!! Then I would continue to remain clam as I had prior, cease all physical motion, and speak only when spoken to and to do so in short statements of 'Yes Sir', 'No Sir', and 'I do not know, Sir'.

- Janq

"Don't tase me bro." - An idiot
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    Florida is a not required to notify state.
    However I travel a lot. The rules change almost every state I travel.
    My MO is to hand the LEO my CCW with my D/L.
    I've never had a problem when notifying even if I don't have to.

Never gotten a ticket either.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links