Concealed Carry License (NC)

This is a discussion on Concealed Carry License (NC) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a question about the concealed carry process that someone here may be able to answer. I have my packet all filled out except ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I have a question about the concealed carry process that someone here may be able to answer. I have my packet all filled out except for the part listing doctors offices that I have visited. They want to be able to look at your records in NC to see if you have any mental defects. I called the guy at the sheriffs dept to see what I should out there because I was a dependent growing up and never had a primary care physician. With Tricare they always put you were they had openings.

The guy told me to just go back to the last place I visited and have them do a basic physical on me so I have a record I can look at. He told me that it would cut a month off of my application time because of this. My question to you is is it worth spending $60-$80 on a physical, plus the license fee (I think it is $80) to maybe get my permit a month earlier?
    Springfield 1911A1, Ruger GP100 .357 mag, Glock 17, Ruger Vaquero .44 mag

Cool

Tricare, if it's a medical "group" should have a health history on file. If not, you should have a doctor of somesort for any eventuality. How in an emergency do they or even you know of alergic reactions to certain meds and past health problems? Yes a physical is worth the cost. Who is Tricare or what?

Back to the CCW procedures, in Guilford I'm told a firm 90 days. Mine was submitted Oct 15th, so that means mid Jan 09. Mine included the info on my Dr and another form for checking mental health facilities in the region. Cost here is $90 including the finger print fee.

No way, Jose!

Sounds like complete nonsense to me. Most sheriff's offices in NC, as a matter of policy, will hold your permit until the 90th day because the state law specifically states "no more than". Whenever you see "no more than" in regard to government, make believe it says "in exactly".

I would simply fill out their form, and for medical information, state the little information you have. If you have none, simply write "none". There are plenty of people who don't get routine medical care, or people who's medical records are unavailable due to office closures. FYI, if the state law doesn't specifically require information, the Sheriff's office has no right to seek it.

The forms I've filled out, which are standard-issue forms, do not request any specific health care provider information. Orange County (not where I got my permit) has them online. I'd be interested in exactly what's on these forms of which you speak.

http://www.co.orange.nc.us/sheriff/forms/CCWAPP.pdf

Oh yeah, if you can find an MD who does complete physicals for $60, please let everyone here know!

Steve

I would. I am also in NC, and until about 6 months ago had only seen an OB here about 6 years ago. But I have seen a dr lately so I just listed him. I have already waited almost a month, and it can take up to 90 days here, so if it was me I would do it. Otherwise you might wait the whole 90 days. I was told when I had my little interview that it is usually less time in Union Co. and I am hoping to get the call to pick mine up soon, as I am clean as a whistle. I don't know what county you are in (I am in Union), but Mecklenburg (Charlotte) has up to a 6 week waiting period just to get the appt for the fingerprints! Anything you can do to speed it up I would do!
    Last edited by purpledragon; November 20th, 2008 at 05:25 PM. Reason: mispelling
    NRA, GOA, GRNC member
    "Both the oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms."
    - Aristotle

They check your medical records?!?!?!?!?!
    You'll rock, with a 357 Glock

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    Guess all counties and sheriff's are different. Here in Wayne County you take the CC class, go to the sheriff's office, get fingerprinted and fill out the paperwork, pay your money and wait about 6 weeks - they call you and you sign the permit which they will laminate.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

Yeah in Onslow County they want you to list your primary and past physicians. Tricare is the insurance service for the armed forces, at least the Marine Corps and Navy. I was on it as a dependent because my dad was a Marine. I guess I will just list the Naval Hospital on Camp Lejeune and the other offices around town that I have been to. I don't want to spend more money on a physical if I don't have to. Especially if it will end up still taking the full 90 days.
    Springfield 1911A1, Ruger GP100 .357 mag, Glock 17, Ruger Vaquero .44 mag

TOF
    All the other comments aside, you are the only one that can say it is worthy it or not to get the permit earlier.
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Spike32 View Post
    They check your medical records?!?!?!?!?!

Yep. It says something to the effect of "any mental or physical" issues, and/or history of drug/alchohol abuse. They also check mental institutions to see if you've ever been a patient.
    NRA, GOA, GRNC member
    "Both the oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms."
    - Aristotle

Cool

Strokin. Check your health insurance at work. Many insurance plans and HMOs provide an annual health physical for no charge or maybe just your normal office call copay.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Each county in NC is different and it all depends on the Sheriff in your county of residence. Here is Wake County (Raleigh area) all you do is fill out the basic paperwork, pay the fee, turn in your CCW class certificate, get finger printed and and wait (3 weeks in my case). No ridiculous medical crap to deal with, at least not 3 years ago when I got mine. That is nothing more than another ploy your sheriff uses to make it more difficult, and hence they hope less people will go to the trouble and jump through the hoops to get the concealed carry license. Most counties in NC don't require you to have this medical form garbage to deal with. I am personal friends with two county sheriffs in NC and I can tell you most sheriff departments in NC don't do much more than run just a basic backround/criminal records check. Most counties with Republican sheriff don't make you do this circus act.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

IMHO, go ahead and spend the money on the physical. In North Carolina, lack of medical records can delay the issuance of your CHP, so better to go ahead and get it done.
    Also, there has been several second-hand stories of difficulties in getting healthcare providers to release the medical records to LE (Dr's claiming HIPPA bars them from doing so). This way the physician knows why you're doing the physical and can get your HIPPA release signed at the same time.

Just my $.02

Cool

After the tradegy at Va Tech, I don't think it's foolish for a sheriff to demand a physical/mental background check. Actually, I think it prudent and responsible to do so. No hoops, no partisan politics. Common sense.
    My doctor's office called two weeks ago to let me know that my recent history was being sent to the Sheriff's office that day.

Pirate. Obviously here in Guilford Cty, they do more than you suggest, as they should.

I got my original CHL in Alamance County. I didn't have to provide any medical information, though I do seem to remember signing a release so they could check my records, I didn't have to tell them who to contact to do so. It took less than 2 months for the license to be issued.

I lived in Orange County when my CHL came up for renewal. Again, I didn't have to provide them if any medical information. I had the new permit in about three weeks (which was a real surprise, I expected 90 days in Orange Co.).

I've since bought a house in Person County, so when my renewal comes up again in 2010, I'll get to see what the process is like here.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

Quote Originally Posted by tflhndn View Post
    IMHO, go ahead and spend the money on the physical. In North Carolina, lack of medical records can delay the issuance of your CHP, so better to go ahead and get it done.
    Also, there has been several second-hand stories of difficulties in getting healthcare providers to release the medical records to LE (Dr's claiming HIPPA bars them from doing so). This way the physician knows why you're doing the physical and can get your HIPPA release signed at the same time.

Just my $.02
    Can you cite one instance where "lack of medical records can delay the issuance..." ? There is no requirement in the state law which requires disclosure of specific health care providers or any wording which would empower a Sheriff to request mental/physical examinations as a condition for a permit. Any Sheriff's office which "requires" anything above what is required by law is breaking the law.

Of course, all bets are off regarding "good moral character". That's a highly subjective and grey as charcoal part of the law.

In NC, a permit MUST be issued in 90 days if the applicant meets the requirements.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links