Good Report: Criminals ignore "gun free zone" signs

This is a discussion on Good Report: Criminals ignore "gun free zone" signs within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; When Seconds Count: Stopping Active Killers - Cincinnati breaking news, weather radar, traffic from 9News | Channel 9 WCPO.com Be sure to watch the video ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good Report: Criminals ignore "gun free zone" signs

Good Report: Criminals ignore "gun free zone" signs

When Seconds Count: Stopping Active Killers - Cincinnati breaking news, weather radar, traffic from 9News | Channel 9 WCPO.com

Be sure to watch the video too.

Many malls and workplaces also place signs at their entrances prohibiting firearms on the premises.

Now tacticians believe the signs themselves may be an invitation to the active killers.

The psychological profile of a mass murderer indicates he is looking to inflict the most casualties as quickly as possible.

Also, the data show most active killers have no intention of surviving the event.

They may select schools and shopping malls because of the large number of defenseless victims and the virtual guarantee no on the scene one is armed.

As soon as they're confronted by any armed resistance, the shooters typically turn the gun on themselves.

2. Remove Ads

So I am in turmoil here......
    The story isn't about news. We have known this for a long time. So old information is just information, not "news". Is it news that the media is covering this now? So could we say it is newsworthy that someone reported this old information? Am I thinking too much about this??

Good story!
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Ya, its breaking news that the media finally had a dose of common sense. Just more reason to ignore those signs (assuming they dont hold any legal weight in your state).

Agreed, the news is that someone in the media has exited lala land long enough to figure this out, or has at least listened to someone who can explain it to them.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

jfl
    The main stream media having some common sense ???
    Looks fishy to me.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    What Video? I didn't see the link. Can you post the link directly to the video?
    For God, Family and Country!

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyCop View Post
    What Video? I didn't see the link. Can you post the link directly to the video?
    It is on the right side of the page I linked to.

There are a couple of things that article does not address or take into account.

For one, in the VT massacre the officers did try and make entry. They just couldn't because the doors were chained from the inside. They finally found a way in but too late. They were not waiting for back up. They already had back up on sight. Due to the earlier shooting in the day, they already had a swat team and multiple mutual aid LEO's on campus. Had it occurred without the earlier shooting causing this to be, they would have had less LEO support on campus. And yet, even that was not enough.

It also doesn't say anywhere that the conclusion is that guns should not be banned. It makes no case for self defense or carry on campus. It does make a case for not posting no carry signs. But that's where it end.

Silly media.....there's a spin here somewhere.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

BAC
    Excellent article. I encourage everyone to read the comments, where the author follows up on requests for additional information about the experts and studies examined. Leave your feedback, thank Mr. Keefe and WCPO for demonstrating what investigative journalism is supposed to be.

-B

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kimberland View Post
    It is on the right side of the page I linked to.
    Ohhhh, Gotcha, didn't show up at work - maybe blocked - saw it at home, Thanks.
    For God, Family and Country!

Quote Originally Posted by cphilip View Post
    ...For one, in the VT massacre the officers did try and make entry. They just couldn't because the doors were chained from the inside. They finally found a way in but too late.

...It makes no case for self defense or carry on campus. It does make a case for not posting no carry signs. But that's where it end.
    We've had two lockdowns in last two months in our school district due to persons entering the schools with guns, I don't think we even made the news. If teachers and/or students had been allowed to legally carry in VT, the body count could have been much smaller, being a teacher doesn't mean you have to be a martyr. I think the news cast did put in a plug for possibly allowing SD carry on campus. I know there are some on here that will quickly jump on the soapbox proclaiming superior knowledge that this is all wrong to even think of allowing teachers to defend their students and themselves from being killed or maimed, but guess what, you're not there, let the real teachers that are teaching now do what we feel is best.
    The first time you aren't armed and prepared may be the last time you wished you were.

This is newsworthy in and of itself, not the content, the fact it was reported. Somebody must have stayed home in the news management.
    But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself...
    "Baa."
    LTC(RET) Dave Grossman

Revolutionary War Veterans Association Shooter Qualification: Cook

Government study? The real news would be when we find out how much that puppy cost us. The "old" news is how much the lack of acknowledgment is costing everyone daily.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Now if we could get more reports like this. a change of perception may happen and carrying could be allowed or even encouraged in schools.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links