Applied... FINALLY!

This is a discussion on Applied... FINALLY! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, my wife and I applied for our ccw's together this morning! She had no trouble, but I've learned a lot about myself in this ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Applied... FINALLY!

Applied... FINALLY!

Well, my wife and I applied for our ccw's together this morning! She had no trouble, but I've learned a lot about myself in this whole process...

Back in 2001, my first year of college, I got in trouble with the law ending up with my friends and me getting caught with a certain controlled green substance... I've grown up a lot since those days, the Lord's saved my soul (which has made ALL the difference!), and I have an awesome wife and two wonderful kids, 4 and 1... I've no desire to go down that path again.

But I'd always had this 'black mark' on any job applications, and was looking into getting my criminal record expunged to make smoother the application for a ccw, as well as the applications for careers, now that I've graduated from college and am actively on the job market for a graphic design position (anybody know anywhere hiring in NE Ohio?!!!). So I went to do the first step in the expunging process, which is to get a criminal background search made on myself to get the offense ID number, then to take that offense ID number to the courthouse and have them do the expunging... and pay an attorney 500 - 600 dollars... ugh. The instant online criminal background search came back "No Offenses Found!" So, I went to the sheriff's office to have them do a more thorough criminal background check on me, that took about 2 weeks, and the results came back in the mail: "No Offenses Found!" So it appears the courts had mercy on me back in '01, and didn't put anything on my criminal record, or the police officer who caught us (who was surprisingly 'nice') didn't assign any misdemeanor charges.

I've applied to several jobs, all of which I've checked the little 'yes' by the misdemeanor or felony question. It's probably hurt my chances at success if only a little. I've always made a point to bring it up in discussion during the interview rather than them having to ask about it, and that's played out well... but all this time, I could have been checking the 'no,' and getting on with it!

So, alas, the wait begins! I'm glad my wife is in with me too

2. Remove Ads

TOF
    Congratulations on both counts.
    Stay out of trouble, stay safe and keep those little ones safe.
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." - Thomas Jefferson

Sounds like you may have gotten some special favor from above, congrats. Maybe because you have been honest about it during interviews.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

One word of warning related to your job applications. I've hired two people in the last ten years that were fired by HR. Both were because of 'lying' on an application and both were about two months AFTER they started working for me. This was our HR team just taking their sweet time, letting the person quit their current paying job, getting the background check information, and then forcing the termination. While Texas is an 'at will' state I didn't like the fact they did this after the people had started working for us. One of the two had actually been an employee for 10 years before, left, and tried to come back!

so, you're saying since I've put 'yes' on the misdemeanor/felony question on so many applications, even though that being wrong and me not having any offenses on record, that's still considered lying on the application and means to be fired? even though it's a GOOD thing?!!! Obviously I've been more than happy to inform all the companies where I've applied that I in fact have no criminal record, however they still *know* my history. Thanks for the warning though!

Quote Originally Posted by JAT40 View Post
    Sounds like you may have gotten some special favor from above, congrats. Maybe because you have been honest about it during interviews.
    This was the first thing I thought! Got that little warm approval in my heart when I prayed about it.

VIP Member

A wild guess--and a suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by tamworth View Post
    Back in 2001, my first year of college, I got in trouble with the law ending up with my friends and me getting caught with a certain controlled green substance.. So I went to do the first step in the expunging process, which is to get a criminal background search made on myself to get the offense ID number, then to take that offense ID number to the courthouse and have them do the expunging... and pay an attorney 500 - 600 dollars... ugh. The instant online criminal background search came back "No Offenses Found!" So, I went to the sheriff's office to have them do a more thorough criminal background check on me, that took about 2 weeks, and the results came back in the mail: "No Offenses Found!"
    Have you checked the records at the local courthouse in the county in which the "offense" actually happened? It is possible that indeed you have the offense on your record (you should know that if you made a court appearance and entered a plea) but the record didn't propagate through the system, or you were given some form of deferred adjudication--like stay out of trouble for 6 months and it goes away.

I don't think I would be comfortable relying on a background check to reveal (magically) what I should or should not reveal on a job application.

You were either arrested or you weren't.

You were either charged or you weren't.

If you entered a plea someone made a judgment and assessed a fine or some other form of punishment. You know if that happened.

If you are uncertain what actually happened, maybe you should ask a criminal attorney who practices in the courthouse (county) where the event happened to get you a definitive answer.

It is possible you have been shooting yourself in the foot all these years because something you thought happened didn't.

It is possible you completely misunderstood the proceedings.

It is possible that you have a record--which you could still get expunged-- but which for any number of reasons is not showing up in background checks.

I would not concern myself with being accused of lying on a job application because you previously incorrectly stated you had an arrest or conviction. Stuff happens, mistakes get made on paperwork. That is nothing if in fact you are telling the truth on recent applications when you say there was no arrest or you say that there was no conviction.

And BTW, the two are different issues. Lots of folks get arrested and never have convictions. Pay careful attention to the exact wording of questions on job applications and answer appropriately, and explain if necessary.

And also, while we all want to honest, and you should never mislead an employer (not that doing so is criminal unless the questions are asked under oath as when the employer is government in some form,) there are ways to present things in a beneficial and positive manner.

P.S. One of our frequent participants here had quite an interesting experience in Arkansas, yet when records were sought out, no one knew nothing. I sure would like to hear the rest of that story if he would post it.

how did you answer this arrest question on your ccw application?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

After you were arrested or cited and released, what happened in court...fine, probation, adjudication? You need to know those results.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

If you did something stupid 30 years ago, they might have to go back and look in shoeboxes, but it will be there...2001?...it's on someone's computer.
    Search out this incident and get a definite answer in writing...then you'll know.
    You have to know if you were arrested, went to court, or if you paid a fine...we tend not to forget these things.
    Without knowing, this could come back and bite you when you least expect it.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Hello, sorry for the long break in participation.

The police officer did not arrest me, but gave me a ticket and at a later date I drove to the courthouse to pay a fine. Come to think of it, I think they did mention the "stay out of trouble for (however long) and it'll clear...

If you'd ask me about anything to do with 2002 and on, I'd be able to recite the events clearly, but like you can infer, my short-term memory wasn't up to par during my 'other life' in 2001. When I think back to the events I've shared here, it's like remembering a dream. Don't know if what I think they were saying is right, don't know what I'm forgetting. Thanks for all your replies.

How can one get the record expunged? does one has to meet certain criteria?

What I learned is that first, you need to only have the one offense. If you've got more than one, you can't get expunged. Then you need to go and have a criminal background check made on yourself, that'll get you the offense ID number. Then is where I'm not sure. I think you take the offense history information / ID number to the courthouse to have them do the expunging (the same courthouse where you were processed for your offense). I had a conversation about this with an attorney, and it was assumed that he would be taking care of the details, that's why I'm not so certain of the process., But I do know that a criminal background check on yourself is the first step. If anybody knows I'm wrong, please let us know.

GOT THEM! My wife and I are now happily licensed to carry! We're off to Wallyworld...!

Quote Originally Posted by tamworth View Post
    GOT THEM! My wife and I are now happily licensed to carry! We're off to Wallyworld...!
    Congrats! I'm jealous...submitted my CO CHP application on 10/21...have a ways to go yet I'm afraid...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links