Defensive Carry banner

CHL -- Bureau Of Criminal Identification??

3K views 28 replies 27 participants last post by  SIXTO 
#1 ·
I find it interesting and ironic that the Utah Bureau Of Criminal Identification spends its time identifying the good guys so that they can be recognized. You'd think they'd spend time identifying the criminals. :confused:

What does your CHL say, with respect to who processed it?

#6 ·
:rofl: Are you guys serious? The "in depth" back round checks are done in about 5 minutes by the issuing sheriff dept., by a clerk with BCI/III access. Its nothing more than that, a quick nationwide computer check of a criminal record. Your states investigative office is nothing more than stewards of the records in this case. The Keebler Elves probably do it in all the states.

#22 ·
:rofl: Are you guys serious? The "in depth" back round checks are done in about 5 minutes by the issuing sheriff dept., by a clerk with BCI/III access. Its nothing more than that, a quick nationwide computer check of a criminal record. Your states investigative office is nothing more than stewards of the records in this case. The Keebler Elves probably do it in all the states.
:rofl::rofl:

#26 ·
And you can obtain a beautician license issued from the same place:haha:

#9 ·
Mine says Texas Department of Public Safety.

By the way, if you want your CHL to have some significance, who would you suggest should be the proper folks to check out backgrounds and qualifications of CHL applicants? Social Services? Housing Department? Parks Department?

#15 ·
By the way, if you want your CHL to have some significance, who would you suggest should be the proper folks to check out backgrounds and qualifications of CHL applicants? Social Services? Housing Department? Parks Department?
Bureau Of Good Guy Identification, perhaps.

#10 ·
Carry permits is just a small portion of what the BCI does. I think when they adopted CC in the late 90s they had to choose an agency to handle it. It was probably just the least busy agency at the time. Now, probably one of the busiest.

There are some very good statistics supporting CCW on their website. I pulled 1996 crime stats and compared them to the 2006 stats. Very, very good numbers in our favor.

Nate

#11 ·
WA is done by the county sheriff

#16 ·
Utah has spent some money and now a a good team of professional working there. They started having mandatory classes for the instructors and make sure they stay certified through the NRA or UT POST.

The majority of the permits are still out of state.

#18 ·
Mine is issued by the county sheriff; investigation done by Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI) and prints by FBI.

All but a few of the county sheriffs place the new CCW holder's names into a database which contains criminals, persons w/TROs and other persons of interest. This database was supposed to be discontinued in 2006 but the Dems got into power and kept it alive. That's why, even though we are not required to inform an officer that we have a CCW & gun during a traffic stop I will do it because it's for sure they're gonna find out when they 'run your license'.

#19 ·
I think it is the CBI that is doing it, but I could be mistaken, I know the sheriffs are doing it.

When they run your plate - READ your name is on the registration - It pops up as a CBI flag, just like a person with a warrant, conviction, etc. The officer has to actually dig into it to see what it is - As told to me by a Sate Trooper on a routine stop.

#24 ·
Florida

Finger prints get sent to NCIC, no wants and warrants, no felony's on your record. OK CCW, destroy prints.

In B&H Gun shop, "I want to buy a Glock 17" said a customer, the paperwork was going well till he said he had renounced his US Citizenship.

It all went in the trash. He was upset. No sympathy from any one, he left.

#25 ·
I don't know about now but when I got my first CPL in Washington they not only did a records check but they did an actual investigation. My employer got a call from the Sheriff Dept. as did a few people I put as references. One of those was an retired FBI agent.

#28 ·
Here in Guilford Cty of North Carolina, each required part of the application procedure is farmed out to State, Federal and local law enforcement. And if a vet, possibly the military. A report is required by your health professional and all the regional mental health facilities. The Sheriff's office for the application and issuance is the traffic cop for the gathering of information. I have no problem at all to be as sure as absolutely possible to weed out those that shouldn't be carrying. Usually, a 90 day process.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.