I'm weak-handed for "awhile."

This is a discussion on I'm weak-handed for "awhile." within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had my surgery 3 days back on Wednesday. Had open surgery to trim the end of my right collar-bone. Then they scoped the right ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm weak-handed for "awhile."

I'm weak-handed for "awhile."

I had my surgery 3 days back on Wednesday. Had open surgery to trim the end of my right collar-bone. Then they scoped the right shoulder and upper bicep. (Yes, I'm right-handed)
    I now have a 3" incision and three, 1/2" incisions on my right shoulder. Came home 3 nights ago in a sling and a pain pump hanging around my neck. After 48 hours, (Yesterday morning) the pump ran dry. So, because I am allergic to narcotics, (AKA-blow chunks) the only pain reliever that I have been taking in the last day and a half, has been Tylenol and Aleve.
    I digress- anyway, I am carrying left-handed. AND, I must admit, I do not practice enough with my weak hand.

Shame on me. From time to time, I do shoot my hand guns with my left, but not nearly enough. I certainly do feel handi-capped while carrying on the left side. However, I figure that a slow draw and careful aim with my weak hand is better than NO draw at all.

So, I guess what I'm saying is, I really need to practice more with my left. We all need to probably. If you're one of those that are great with both hands, good for you. I'm not, but pledge to do better in the future.......starting tomorrow.

Kev

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Rebmik View Post
    However, I figure that a slow draw and careful aim with my weak hand is better than NO draw at all.
    You got that right!

I'm predominantly left-handed when shooting. I would consider myself sort of an ambidextrous shooter. In fact, the only things that I typically do left handed are writing, shooting and eating. Sports and everything else I'm right-handed. I think the only reason I developed as a left-handed shooter is that I'm left-eye dominant. I'm weird. I wish you luck without the narcotics. I don't know if I could have gone through 3 knee-surgery recoveries without them. To a speedy recovery.

-Jeff-

What a coincidence. I recently cut the middle finger of my right hand pretty deep. I should have got stitches but I just bandaged it closed as best as I could. But this big old bandage got in the way of my draw. I can still draw but definately slower. I also had to put the +1 grip on my G27 as I had a hard time gripping the weapon with the standard mag.

I should be able to take the large bandage off tomorrow. Speedy recovery to you, sir.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

VIP Member
    So, I guess what I'm saying is, I really need to practice more with my left. We all need to probably. If you're one of those that are great with both hands, good for you. I'm not, but pledge to do better in the future.......starting tomorrow.
    Kev
    You're right, we all need to practice regularly with our weak hands. I try to always shoot at least 50 rds left handed, which each gun, everytime I go to the range.

How about trying to reload in your current condition?
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by BeefyBeefo View Post
    You got that right!

I'm predominantly left-handed when shooting. I would consider myself sort of an ambidextrous shooter. In fact, the only things that I typically do left handed are writing, shooting and eating. Sports and everything else I'm right-handed. I think the only reason I developed as a left-handed shooter is that I'm left-eye dominant. I'm weird. I wish you luck without the narcotics. I don't know if I could have gone through 3 knee-surgery recoveries without them. To a speedy recovery.

-Jeff-
    Surprisingly, It isn't that bad. Not wearing the sling already, (did I mention that I'm a horrible patient?) even typing with two hands. The docs wanted me to put on a Narcotic patch yesterday morning to kick in before the pump ran out. I don't like narcotics so I figured I would ride it out and see what happened. I could always put the patch on if the pain got too bad. Luckily it is OK so far. I feel it, but ever since I cut into my left femur with a chainsaw, everything else doesn't seem so bad. (that was 25 years ago when I was only 17)

Although, I must admit that my second beer right now makes me feel a little better. (Gun is unloaded and wife is in control of it.

Kev

Surprisingly, It isn't that bad. Not wearing the sling already, (did I mention that I'm a horrible patient?) even typing with two hands. The docs wanted me to put on a Narcotic patch yesterday morning to kick in before the pump ran out. I don't like narcotics so I figured I would ride it out and see what happened. I could always put the patch on if the pain got too bad. Luckily it is OK so far. I feel it, but ever since I cut into my left femur with a chainsaw, everything else doesn't seem so bad. (that was 25 years ago when I was only 17)

Although, I must admit that my second beer right now makes me feel a little better. (Gun is unloaded and wife is in control of it.

Kev
    Why? BG's won't do a home invasion if they know you're injured or feeling a couple of beers?

Stay armed...heal quickly...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I feel for you, had shoulder surgery a couple months ago myself but I have no problems with narcotics so I was on the pain pills for a while and obviously couldn't carry while I was drugged up. I was immobilized for 5 weeks and even now it hurts like hell to get my hand back to draw but I feel much better finally armed again. Wait til the torture....I mean physical therapy starts. Get better.
    Thanks,
    Rock

Rebmik, sorry to hear that you had to have surgery, hopefully things will heal well and will be better then before surgery, thankfully you had a surgeon that works in small holes. I work in surgery(not an md) and know some of the old timers that prefer to make bigger incisions then some of he others. and for him/her to do some of it (arthroscopically) through the smaller holes is a good thing, faster recovery, still to bad that the narcs don't agree with your system that can make for a miserable recovery.

4 weeks ago i had to have a finger put back togethe due to my cat-like ninja reflexes being no where around, oh well, i have all my fingers...but it is amazing how dependant we are on both hands/arms. luck had it that i didn't injur my dominent hand, but still no fun.

Quote Originally Posted by polardaddy View Post
    Rebmik, sorry to hear that you had to have surgery, hopefully things will heal well and will be better then before surgery, thankfully you had a surgeon that works in small holes. I work in surgery(not an md) and know some of the old timers that prefer to make bigger incisions then some of he others. and for him/her to do some of it (arthroscopically) through the smaller holes is a good thing, faster recovery, still to bad that the narcs don't agree with your system that can make for a miserable recovery.

4 weeks ago i had to have a finger put back togethe due to my cat-like ninja reflexes being no where around, oh well, i have all my fingers...but it is amazing how dependant we are on both hands/arms. luck had it that i didn't injur my dominent hand, but still no fun.

Up and getting coffee made. Honestly, it feels better now, (4 days after surgery) than it did a week ago. Arthritis in that joint, (achromio-clavicular [sp]) had it grinding bone on bone. He trimmed 1/2" off the end of the collar bone so now it can't grind. I just put gun on right side and I can get my hand there, just a litle stiff. I'll go back to left side for a little while.

Kev

hey kev,
    insomia is on my side, glad to hear its feeling better, yeah we do a dozen if not more of those in a month if not more. most of the md's say recovery is long due to physical therapy, and depending on how much they need to fix and when they get into repairing rotator cuffs, full recovery can take almost a year.
    I have had a couple shoulder injuries in the past, it takes a while to get back from it. I had to carry a little more forward then i was used to for a while for the same reason. take 'er easy with that, no cartwheels for a while rob

Quote Originally Posted by polardaddy View Post
    hey kev,
    insomia is on my side, glad to hear its feeling better, yeah we do a dozen if not more of those in a month if not more. most of the md's say recovery is long due to physical therapy, and depending on how much they need to fix and when they get into repairing rotator cuffs, full recovery can take almost a year.
    I have had a couple shoulder injuries in the past, it takes a while to get back from it. I had to carry a little more forward then i was used to for a while for the same reason. take 'er easy with that, no cartwheels for a while rob
    No, no.....no cartwheels for me.

Not sleeping huh? I wondered when I saw that you were up typing this morning at what? 4:30 am your time? A little early.

Just got back from the store. Amazing how much better my shoulder is compared to a month ago. I don't know how they can cut that bone off and it doesn't hurt today. Just a little stiff.

Get some sleep man.

Kev

Rebmik, looks like you and I are in the same club. I had knee surgery Thursday morning (the 20th) and have been hobbling around the house for a few days now. Looks like this is the time of year for surgery.

I am off my pain meds now and carry around the house now. I havew not ventured outside the house yet. But in the next couple of days I will. Heck, I'll have to. I am going stir crazy now and I am supposed to be off work for 4 weeks because of this. I may not make it.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

VIP Member
    Rebmik....hope you recover quickly.

So you have a left-hand holster for your current firearm? If so, had you done any draw and fire drills using that equipment prior to the surgery?

If/when you go back to the range let us know how your shooting is carrying from the left side.

As an aside...that is why I'm a firm believer in purchasing "weak hand" equipment, i.e., holster, and training with that hand as if its the dominant hand....you just never know if you have an injury thereby incapacitating the dominant hand/arm.

Good luck!
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

No, no.....no cartwheels for me.

Not sleeping huh? I wondered when I saw that you were up typing this morning at what? 4:30 am your time? A little early.

Just got back from the store. Amazing how much better my shoulder is compared to a month ago. I don't know how they can cut that bone off and it doesn't hurt today. Just a little stiff.

Get some sleep man.

Kev

its amazing how much two little bones rubbing together can get to hurting so bad that once some of it is removed, the pain is a fraction of what it was before hand. I could get a little more technical if yu really would like to know why.

rob

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    Rebmik
    Glad your making a speedy recovery. I went through the same surgery about 15 years ago. Amazing how much better I felt the day after surgery than the day before. Keep up the good work.

polardaddy I see your a surgical tech. I am a surgical nurse. Small world we live in. Stay safe and watch those sharps.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links