Good Reading: Secret Service Columbine Final Report

This is a discussion on Good Reading: Secret Service Columbine Final Report within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I came across this today and had not yet seen it. Considering the mall shooting in WA yesterday and the host of other incidents in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good Reading: Secret Service Columbine Final Report

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar

Good Reading: Secret Service Columbine Final Report

I came across this today and had not yet seen it. Considering the mall shooting in WA yesterday and the host of other incidents in recent memory, it is good reading. It has 60 pages of info and findings compiled by the Secret Service and Dept. of Education after Columbine. There is some good info to argue with anti's in there too.

here is the link to download
    http://www.treas.gov/usss/ntac/ssi_final_report.pdf

THE FINAL REPORT AND FINDINGS OF THE SAFE SCHOOL INITIATIVE:

IMPLICATIONS FOR THE PREVENTION OF SCHOOL ATTACKS IN THE UNITED STATES

UNITED STATES SECRET SERVICE AND
    UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION

an example...

• Incidents of targeted violence at school rarely are sudden, impulsive acts.
    • Prior to most incidents, other people knew about the attacker’s idea and/or plan to attack.
    • Most attackers did not threaten their targets directly prior to advancing the attack.
    • There is no accurate or useful profile of students who engaged in targeted school violence.
    • Most attackers engaged in some behavior prior to the incident that caused others concern or indicated a need for help.
    • Most attackers had difficulty coping with significant losses or personal failures. Moreover, many had considered or attempted suicide.
    • Many attackers felt bullied, persecuted or injured by others prior to the attack.
    • Most attackers had access to and had used weapons prior to the attack.
    • In many cases, other students were involved in some capacity.
    • Despite prompt law enforcement responses, most shooting incidents were stopped by means other than law enforcement intervention.

2. Remove Ads

Thanks for the link. This report along with the report the postal inspectors put together after their second (or was it third?) mass shooting are great resources. I've never found the postal inspectors report online - if anyone has found that one it'd be much appreciated. My work (corporate office w/security) has printed copies of both.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

• Despite prompt law enforcement responses, most shooting incidents were stopped by means other than law enforcement intervention.

jfl
    Very interesting for its contents, but boring to read; a typical government work. Those 60 pages could have fit in less than 20.
    One of the problem that was found, but for which I didn't a solution offered was "the high level of violence in the schools", not sure about the exact wording.
    Thanks, nutz4utwo for sharing
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    This report along with the report the postal inspectors put together after their second (or was it third?) mass shooting are great resources. I've never found the postal inspectors report online

Probably not, but is this it? The United States Postal Service Commission On A Safe And Secure Workplace, 2000

http://permanent.access.gpo.gov/lps12068/33994.pdf

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar
    I look forward to the information (but not so much the dry text), thanks for the link!
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by nutz4utwo View Post
    Probably not, but is this it? The United States Postal Service Commission On A Safe And Secure Workplace, 2000

http://permanent.access.gpo.gov/lps12068/33994.pdf
    I'll check when I get to work tomorrow. It doesn't look the same but it could just be a different format. I also don't have time to read through it just now...
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Thanks for sharing.

-Jeff-

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    I notice they quoted an Federal Act regarding guns and school, this Act may actually block attempts of school boards to allow CCW at schools.

What a bunch of fluff...tell us something we didn't know. Typical Government paper.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    I notice they quoted an Federal Act regarding guns and school, this Act may actually block attempts of school boards to allow CCW at schools.
    I'm fairly certain they are citing the Gun-Free School Zones Act, which does not restrict CCW at schools. There is a specific exemption for persons licensed by the state to carry a firearm, if a background check is required to obtain the license.

Oregon is one state where it is legal to carry on a school campus, even inside the buildings. Washington permits carry in the parking lot when dropping off or picking up students, but prohibits carry inside the building unless the person is "involved in school security." There are other states that permit school carry -- I believe it is Michigan that allows CCW in a school if the carrier has permission of the principal or superintendent.

I don't have time to search for the thread or article, but there is a small district in Texas (where else would this happen?) that has authorized some teachers to carry.

• There is no accurate or useful profile of students who engaged in targeted school violence.
    False. There is, but it is a discriminatory filter that is rejected by most schools and the "socially sensitive" in Gvt. agencies.

Right you are tflhndn

Quote Originally Posted by tflhndn View Post
    I zeroed in on this one too. Says a lot, doesn't it?
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Thanks for the link!
    Randy
    "The only purpose for a pistol is to fight your way back to the rifle you should have never laid down". -unknown

Secret service

Why in the world is the secret service involved in this?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links