CC'ing in Alabama

CC'ing in Alabama

This is a discussion on CC'ing in Alabama within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a GFL (Georgia Firearm License) and and I am traveling to my hometown in Alabama for Thanksgiving. This is my first time carrying ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CC'ing in Alabama

CC'ing in Alabama

I have a GFL (Georgia Firearm License) and and I am traveling to my hometown in Alabama for Thanksgiving. This is my first time carrying a concealed weapon in Alabama. I know Alabama accepts my GFL, but are there any major differences in the laws I need to be worried about. Also, if I get pulled over do I have to notify the LEO. In Georiga we do not have to notify. Can I go into a restaurant? You know the basic stuff please. Any Alabama CC'ers out there?

Thanks in advance!

Reddog6259

I'm sure you'll get specific answers from members here in Alabama, but Handgunlaw.us is always a good place to start.

-Jeff-

VIP Member
    No special precautions. No required notification. You can go into a restaurant.

The only places you need to worry about nomrally are: K-12 schools - state law; courthouses, government offices, public gatherings.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Alabama has a 'Public Gathering' law too? That PG clause makes carrying a pain.

+1 on handgunlaws.us.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

The only law Alabama has about public gathering is if you refuse to leave after being told to leave by law enforcement, then it is a crime. Public gathering in Alabama is defined as for the purpose of demonstrations, not sporting events or movies.

A phone call to the Alabama State Police would be a good idea. If you asks you for your ID, then show both. Chances are, he's already run your plates and already knows.

The one thing I really, really miss from when we lived in Alabama vs. here in Tennessee is being able to carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol. Such a stupid law.

But, there is light at the end of the tunnel.....we may be able to pass the law fixing that this next year.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    I live in Chickasaw Alabama. You should have NO problems here. Go eat where you want too. If there's a bar in the place - just sit at a table for your dinner.
    Malls, Church, Anywhere you'd normally go - Just not Gov Buildings or Public Schools for the most part.

This Help?
    For God, Family and Country!

Thanks for all the help!

Reddog6259

Not real sure where folks are getting that you can carry in any restaurant in AL, but specifically from the back of the CC permit - "Your pistol permit does NOT allow you to carry a pistol in places that serve alcohol..."

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jaredpointer View Post
    Not real sure where folks are getting that you can carry in any restaurant in AL, but specifically from the back of the CC permit - "Your pistol permit does NOT allow you to carry a pistol in places that serve alcohol..."

That is a requirement put on by your Sheriff and not state law.

My understanding is that "you" who are issued a permit by that Sheriff must abide by the restrictions that he set on your permit while you are in his jursidiction.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurekaman View Post
    A phone call to the Alabama State Police would be a good idea. If you asks you for your ID, then show both. Chances are, he's already run your plates and already knows.

I doubt it even GA cops dont know who has a permit
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

I also noticed that on my permit. I just got it and was wondering if we can carry in restaurauntsthat serve ETOH? I understand not having it in a bar or club. But how about Mexican rest. or Olive Garden or something? Can we carry there?
    On AL laws it says NO to carry on WMA. What is WMA?? Dumb question, but I want to go over all the laws and restrictions before carrying! Thanks.

HKR
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurekaman View Post
    GFLs are not connected to your license or tag info in Ga, therefore if you are stopped in another state the LEO will only know if you notify him/her. It's a very good idea to know if you are required to notify in the state you are traveling to.

On AL laws it says NO to carry on WMA. What is WMA?? Dumb question, but I want to go over all the laws and restrictions before carrying! Thanks.
    Wildlife Management Area. It was also illegal in Georgia before last year.

As a side note, I really wish Alabama would open up State Parks and WMAs to carry as I would like to visit more of them. Now that we can carry in Ga State Parks/WMAs and National Parks I hope that Alabama and Tennessee will follow suit.

Thanks! I also hope AL follows suit and opens up State Parks!

It's my understanding that AL state law allows us to carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol as long as you are not at a bar and as long as you aren't drinking! Just what I read when looking through AL state law restrictions.
    Does anyone know AL law pertaining carrying in churches? I have found it specifically! Just public meetings of certain types???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links