Ohio CCW

Ohio CCW

This is a discussion on Ohio CCW within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ohio CCW news... LIMA — State Rep. Mike Gilb wanted to get a good look at the training for carrying concealed weapons, especially since he’s ...

Thread: Ohio CCW

Ohio CCW

Ohio CCW news...

LIMA — State Rep. Mike Gilb wanted to get a good look at the training for carrying concealed weapons, especially since he’s hoping to change the rules a little bit.
    Gilb, R-Findlay, took part in a training session on Saturday at the Allen County Fairgrounds, joining about 10 others.
    “I signed up today, and I’m logging the hours to earn my right to carry a concealed weapon,” Gilb said. “I wanted to get a sense of what the current training is like.”
    He ended up doing a little training of his own, fielding questions about the legislative process as he tries to push a bill that will loosen up the restrictions on the concealed-carry law. The original bill passed two years ago.
    “That was a fairly restrictive bill, kind of a first step,” Gilb said. “Now that we’ve entered this experience, we haven’t become the wild, wild west people thought we’d become, law-abiding citizens should be able to protect themselves.”
    He said potential changes included in the proposed House Bill 347 cover where people can carry weapons in vehicles. Today, they must be kept in plain sight or locked away if they’re in a car.
    Some in the class suggested clarifying other rules, like what constitutes “plain sight” in a car. And one man pointed out that another man in the class is a liquor store owner, but by law can’t carry a weapon in his own store.
    “There’s a lot of stuff that needs to be changed,” Tom Evans of Lima said.
    “We just need some more bills to clean up the gray area,” added Brent Lawrence, co-owner of Defense Training Academy, which conducts training lessons once a month.
    The current training calls for 10 hours of classroom time and two hours on a shooting range, Lawrence said. Gilb’s class completed the classroom time on Saturday, and will schedule time at a shooting range next week.
    Gilb is also running for the 4th Congressional District seat in the U.S. House of Representatives being vacated by Rep. Michael Oxley, R-Findlay.
    diplomacy ... the art of saying "nice doggie"..while looking for a big rock !!

Nice ot see he is getting involved and sounds like really for the better

Other state representatives would benefit from getting out to the constituents...on a multitude of subjects. But especially CCW...
    noli nothis permittere te terere...

Represenitive Gilb, obviously has his head on straight and is not just a puppet. This is a big plus for Ohio to move their CCW laws in the right direction and clean them up.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    That's the difference between Liberals and Conservatives. Congratulations Ohioans
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Assistant Administrator
    It has struck me that, adjust the (currently crazy) bad aspects of OH CCW and you could actually finish up with a halfways decent set-up.

For sure this in-the-vehicle deal must be clarified and refined into a sensible ruling - and then all the other silly things, instance owner of liquor store.

Seems more than useful to have a rep' actually involved at the sharp end - so here's hoping.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Very cool, I wasn't aware of him taking classes. Hopefully HB347 will eliminate that rediculous plain sight provision while in the vehicle.

No Kidding....I am half afraid to carry in a car because of the stupid rules.!!!

CCW in Ohio

I'm none too pleased with the "plain sight" provision either. There is far too much discretion given to officers and not enough strict guidelines. Rather than reform "plain sight" we need to eliminate it. We also need to adress the media access rule too. The Cleveland Pain Squealer has saw fit to publish the names, ages and county locations of ALL NE Ohio license holders. This is clearly in violation of both the letter and spirit of the law. If the press is going to abuse their priviledges then they must have that provision done away with

KRobb

Senior Member Array Super Trucker's Avatar
    Does anybody know how the vehicle deal in Ohio, is handled on a motorcycle? I am not sure if it is even legal to have your gun on your bike. I usually don't carry when I go into Ohio, mainly because I don't understand the "rules"; I looked at packing.org and a few others but just couldn't make sense of it. If anybody could point me to a site that spells it out clearly, I would appreciate it.

Senior Member Array Super Trucker's Avatar
    Does anybody know how the vehicle deal in Ohio, is handled on a motorcycle? I am not sure if it is even legal to have your gun on your bike. I usually don't carry when I go into Ohio, mainly because I don't understand the "rules"; I looked at packing.org and a few others but just couldn't make sense of it. If anybody could point me to a site that spells it out clearly, I would appreciate it.

Super Trucker, I honestly don't think that anyone knows for sure. The closest I can come up with is,
    1. Holstered and in plain sight
    2. Locked in a case and in plain sight. Maybe a lockbox strapped to the bike? Who Knows?
    3. Locked in a glove box. Some bikes have them but I don't think it applies to saddle bags.

When I took my training, the teacher said one of his first students, as soon as he got his permit, took a bike ride and open carried. He had two different Police Officers question him within minutes but both let him go after he told them he had the permit. My guess is that if you open carry, you can expect to be questioned but it seems to be the legal way to ride. It'll bring attention to yourself so be sure to do everything else legal (no drinking, loud pipes, use turn signals, etc).
    Clear as mud, right? LOL

This is what I've found http://www.ohioccw.org/modules.php?n...ed+while...#89

Can I carry concealed while riding a motorcycle?
    Thank you for contacting our office concerning the new concealed weapons law. Unfortunately, the Attorney General cannot issue legal advice or definitive interpretations of the law to individual citizens either within or from outside of Ohio, on hypothetical questions, issues committed to another branch of government, questions about the constitutionality of a statute, or issues currently in litigation.

However, I can offer some insight into the new law. This guidance is neither a formal nor informal opinion of Attorney General Petro; rather, it represents my understanding of prevailing law as applied to your inquiry and is intended to assist you as you determine how to proceed.

For the purposes of this statute, a motorcycle is considered a motorvehicle.

The law states that you may not transport a loaded, concealed handgun in a vehicle unless it is carried in one of the three following ways:

In a holster on your person that is in plain sight.

So far, the Ohio Supreme Court has not defined the term plain sight precisely in the context of carrying a concealed handgun. However, in other contexts, courts have generally held that the term plain sight is a common sense term that means clearly visible or unobstructed.

In a few court decisions, Ohio Courts have defined "concealment:"

"A weapon is concealed if it is so situated as not to be discernible by ordinary observation by those near enough to see it if it were not concealed, who would come into contact with the possessor in the usual associations of life." State v. Pettit (1969), 20 Ohio App. 2d 170, 173-174 [49 O.O.2d 200]
    In a closed, locked glove compartment

The law specifically talks about "closed, locked glove compartment." It does not address the commonly found situation where vehicles do not have a locking glove compartment, but do have a locking center console, or to the saddlebags or storage areas that most motorcycles have.

However, in other sections of Ohio firearms laws, legal firearms owners are allowed to transport a loaded weapon provided it is in a locked place that is accessible only from exiting the vehicle. Depending on the design of your motorcycle, if you have to get off the bike to access a storage container, it may suffice.

The rule of thumb in situations like this - from a legal view - was summarized by the Ohio Supreme Court: "As a matter of simple fair play in criminal practice, the law-abiding public is entitled to rely upon the common meaning of statutory words. A fair warning should be given to the world in language that the world will understand." State v. Beasley, 4 Ohio St. 3d 24 (1983).
    In a case that is in plain sight and that is locked.

"Case" in this section means a portable container for carrying objects. It probably does not mean a case permanently affixed to a motorcycle, (i.e., saddlebags).

Finally, in 1974, when the General Assembly was rewriting the Ohio Code, the Committee with jurisdiction over criminal offenses commented on the rules for carrying a weapon in motor vehicle:

"These rules are designed to include the ways in which responsible gun hobbyists and sportsmen agree that firearms should be transported, both from the standpoint of safety and in the interests of protecting valuable weapons from damage. If a firearm is transported in a motor vehicle in compliance with this section, then under 2923.12(B)(4) the person transporting it cannot be guilty of carrying concealed weapons, even though the firearm is out of sight and, technically at least, concealed. For example, under former law, a hunter could not place his shotgun in a case inside his car, since it was then a concealed weapon. Under this section, he may put it in a case." 1974 Committee Comment to H 511.
    Mark Gribben
    Director of Constituent Services
    Office of Attorney General Jim Petro

When i ride its open to god and everybody as the law requires.
    get lotsa looks but have never been stopped.
    i have loud pipes on my MC and at stop lights only a portion of other drivers even noticed (i think). some did and i got some interesting looks.
    most prolly thought 'off-duty cop' cuz of the short hair but the goatie & wife beater t-shirt didn't fit "cop". i thought the looks were kinda funny personally.
    and i 'like' to carry open on a MC. it messes with the sheeple and i KNOW i'm legal. just make sure i keep all my paperwork (insurance and registration) up to date cuz i would not be a bit surprised to get stopped.

but carry it open and carry proud on yer MC.
    R1

This is mine. That is yours.

Lets keep it that way.

Sponsored Links